PDA

View Full Version : NIU freshman found dead in frat house

RBP
11-03-2012, 03:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tNqKT.jpg

Authorities are investigating whether alcohol may have been a factor in the death of a promising Northern Illinois University freshman found dead at an off-campus fraternity.

David Bogenberger, 19, was discovered in a bed at the Pi Kappa Alpha house Friday morning, said DeKalb County Coroner Dennis Miller.

While an official cause of death has not yet been determined, the coroner and a university spokesman said it was evident drinking had occurred at the fraternity house the night before. Bogenberger lived in a dormitory on campus.

"We're not sure if he consumed alcohol," said DeKalb police Lt. Jason Leverton. "We're waiting for the autopsy report."

Bogenberger's father said the family was struggling with the news of his son's death.

"I talked to him the night before last, even saw his smiling face on a video chat, and that was the last time I saw him," Gary Bogenberger said Friday from his home in Osprey, Fla., near Sarasota. "He said he was getting straight A's, one B in math and doing very well."

Bogenberger, a triplet, graduated in June from Palatine High School with his brother and sister. The family moved to Florida, but Bogenberger returned to Illinois to study finance at NIU and pledged at the fraternity where he was found, his father said.

"None of us have really digested what is going on yet," he said with a strained voice when asked to describe his son. "I'm not sure now is the best time to talk."

The cover photo on Bogenberger's Facebook page shows him marching with a Pi Kappa Alpha banner, beaming as he walked with what appeared to be other members or pledges.

And a resume posted on his biographical page on the university website paints a picture of a young man of varied interests.

He served on the Palatine High School model congress, worked at Panera Bread and Target, participated in the high school's business club and volunteered as a classroom assistant for the vacation Bible school program at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Palatine, according to his bio.

In his free time, he enjoyed "classic films, reading and playing sports with my friends," according to his page on the NIU website.

Leverton said investigators were still interviewing people who may have been present at the home before Bogenberger's death. He said there were no signs of foul play or suspicious circumstances.

"It's clear that some people were consuming alcohol," Leverton said, adding that there did not appear to be a big party at the home Thursday night.

NIU spokesman Brad Hoey said the fraternity has a good reputation, adding that the school has made counselors available for students who want to talk about Bogenberger's death.

"Our hearts are broken — you never want to see this happen," Hoey said. "We are still trying to get to the bottom of what happened."

On Friday, a student who answered the door at the three-story fraternity in the 1000 block of West Hillcrest Drive in DeKalb, declined to comment.

Alex Jandick, president of the local chapter, released a statement: "The Eta Nu chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha has ceased chapter operations in order to give our full cooperation to our local authorities and the investigation."

In a separate statement, Justin True, a spokesman for the Memphis, Tenn.-based fraternity, said the organization's "thoughts and prayers are with the family of this young man (and) the brothers of the Eta Nu chapter."

Other students in the neighborhood were saddened by the news.

"It kind of makes me upset," said NIU freshman Austin Silva, 18. "That's just too young to die."

===============================

I lived in that house in the 80's. :rip:

deebakes
11-03-2012, 10:10 PM
that's too bad :rip: