PDA

View Full Version : Flu shots

RBP
11-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Have you or are you planning to get a flu shot this year?

I had one for the first time last year, and might again, idk yet.

POLL!

Teh One Who Knocks
11-08-2012, 07:54 PM
They are for women, children, old people, and girlie men :tup:

RBP
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm old. :sad2:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-08-2012, 07:58 PM
:hand: I dont take unnecessary shots. I cant even remember the last time I had the flu, Im not going to give it to myself

redred
11-08-2012, 08:00 PM
They are for women, children, old people, and girlie men :tup:

:tup:

Goofy
11-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Nope, never had one :)

DemonGeminiX
11-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Every time I got a flu shot, I caught the flu. So I don't bother anymore. I just rely on my otc Vitamin C.

Lambchop
11-08-2012, 08:03 PM
You'll be fine, I'm sure of it.

RBP
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
You'll be fine, I'm sure of it.

fine getting one or fine without one?

minz
11-08-2012, 08:05 PM
This year was the first time, they almost bullied me into it at the Doc's but I really can't risk another severe chest infection like the one I had a few months back. :(

Acid Trip
11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
I got mine back in October.

Lambchop
11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
fine getting one or fine without one?
I think either way. Unless you have significant lung/liver/heart/kidney disease or diabetes then you may be more susceptible to infection in general.

btw what do you guys think about taking a low dose of aspirin each day after reaching a certain age? Not only beneficial to your circulation but there is also mounting evidence that it helps to reduce the risk of developing certain kinds of cancers. I guess it's a case of weighing the potential side effects against its protective properties. :-k

Edit: I don't seem to have any voting privileges on here :'(

Edit 2: Did I kill the thread?

DemonGeminiX
11-08-2012, 08:53 PM
I think either way. Unless you have significant lung/liver/heart/kidney disease or diabetes then you may be more susceptible to infection in general.

btw what do you guys think about taking a low dose of aspirin each day after reaching a certain age? Not only beneficial to your circulation but there is also mounting evidence that it helps to reduce the risk of developing certain kinds of cancers. I guess it's a case of weighing the potential side effects against its protective properties. :-k

Edit: I don't seem to have any voting privileges on here :'(

Edit 2: Did I kill the thread?

Thread's still open. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to vote in the poll.

And as for the aspirin... I suppose it may help some people. My mother takes baby aspirin daily since she has atrial fibrillation (a heart condition). I suppose if you were older and were at risk for heart disease, it would have benefits, but I think a doctor might prescribe something else if you had a significant risk.

I don't know anything about the cancer thing.

Loser
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
The only time I've ever, in my entire life, had the actual flu, was when I got that fkin shot.

Never forget, never again. ;)

Lambchop
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Ah I think it's because I'm in the lowest possible usergroup on here. There are administrators, then moderators, then dwellers.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................... and then me :lol:

Regarding your mother, I'm certainly glad that it isn't v-fib that ails her. The horrors... ahhhhh flashback

RBP
11-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Does it matter if I can get a free one at work and am going to working with the public?

I think I might. I didn't have any adverse reaction last year.

MrsM
11-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I got the shot a few times in the past - I really didn't notice a difference. I sometimes got the flu with the shot and sometimes without... so now I don't bother and most years (touch wood) I don't get sick (or too sick)

Acid Trip
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Does it matter if I can get a free one at work and am going to working with the public?

I think I might. I didn't have any adverse reaction last year.

I would definitely recommend it if you work with the public.

I've gotten it for years and never had a bad reaction or caught the flu. I think some of our fellow posters put their tin foil hats on before opening this thread.

Lambchop
11-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I usually like my inactive pathogen with a slice of lemon and ginger. fmmfmfmfmfmfmfmfmfmfmmf :homer:

FBD
11-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I dont get flu shots. Chi pressure ftw :thumbsup: Had the flu once in '99. Too many variants of it to bother anyway, you're not even sure you're getting the strain that's coming around this year.

DemonGeminiX
11-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Somebody in pharmaceuticals is gonna fuck up in their flu shot formulation someday. The resulting cocktail they distribute as "flu shots" is going to be the cause of the zombie outbreak.

Hal-9000
11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I would definitely recommend it if you work with the public.

I've gotten it for years and never had a bad reaction or caught the flu. I think some of our fellow posters put their tin foil hats on before opening this thread.

I had pneumonia twice within 90 days in 2005, so I've tried having the shots some years. Most years with the shot I didn't even get the sniffles.

At work if one person gets sick, at least four people get sick. We share everything from forklifts to the bathroom door knob....also in my personal life I see a lot of different people throughout a week so the chances of catching a virus are pretty good there too. That coupled with working in a hot, then cold environment throughout the day (not good for your lungs) makes it easier for viruses to take hold and get you sick.

If I lived and worked in a box, never touching anything or seeing people I'd probably never get a flu shot :lol:

Lambchop
11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I had pneumonia twice within 90 days in 2005, so I've tried having the shots some years. Most years with the shot I didn't even get the sniffles.

At work if one person gets sick, at least four people get sick. We share everything from forklifts to the bathroom door knob....also in my personal life I see a lot of different people throughout a week so the chances of catching a virus are pretty good there too. That coupled with working in a hot, then cold environment throughout the day (not good for your lungs) makes it easier for viruses to take hold and get you sick.

If I lived and worked in a box, never touching anything or seeing people I'd probably never get a flu shot :lol:
btw stop smoking :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

Hal-9000
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
:hand: I only smoke when I'm awake

FBD
11-09-2012, 08:08 PM
or meditate until energy shoots up the central channel into your midbrain, it makes your sinuses empty right the fug out, saliva & tears flow too. nothing sticks around long enough to take hold :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
11-09-2012, 08:13 PM
:hand: I use cocaine for that

Acid Trip
11-09-2012, 10:58 PM
or meditate until energy shoots up the central channel into your midbrain, it makes your sinuses empty right the fug out, saliva & tears flow too. nothing sticks around long enough to take hold :mrgreen:

MDMA is pretty fucking good a clearing up sinuses :d

Muddy
11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I've got an 8 year old that tested positive for the flu.. Gonna be some funnn holidays.

RBP
11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
You can test for flu? :-k

Muddy
11-19-2012, 11:13 PM
You can test for flu? :-k

Yah, they even have a treatment now called "tamiflu"..

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/

deebakes
11-20-2012, 02:25 AM
the flu shot is required by my employer :sad2:

Muddy
11-20-2012, 02:28 AM
the flu shot is required by my employer :sad2:

How do you know if you've gotten the placebo?

deebakes
11-20-2012, 02:56 AM
i guess i don't :lol:

RBP
11-20-2012, 03:06 AM
I went ahead and got one... it was free so what the heck

Hal-9000
11-20-2012, 03:13 AM
I requested mine in the buttocks....chick at the drugstore clinic said no way

what a priss :lol:

minz
11-20-2012, 03:15 AM
I requested mine in the buttocks....chick at the drugstore clinic said no way

what a priss :lol:

Did she say no it's too much of a pain in the arse :lol:

Hal-9000
11-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Did she say no it's too much of a pain in the arse :lol:

no her excuse was something about the 6 senior citizens waiting in line behind me, their frail hearts....some shit along those lines :lol:

Griffin
11-20-2012, 03:29 AM
no her excuse was something about the 6 senior citizens waiting in line behind me, their frail hearts....some shit along those lines :lol:

couldn't you have staggered them around so they wouldn't have been shit on in a line?

Hal-9000
11-20-2012, 03:36 AM
couldn't you have staggered them around so they wouldn't have been shit on in a line?

:slap: I was wearing the small thong that day!...coupled with no shaving and you can add it up

Griffin
11-20-2012, 03:40 AM
:slap: I was wearing the small thong that day!...coupled with no shaving and you can add it up

two pubes and a wrinkle?

Hal-9000
11-20-2012, 03:43 AM
two pubes and a wrinkle?

more like a powdered donut wrapped in an elastic...

FBD
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
MDMA is pretty fucking good a clearing up sinuses :d

yeah but you cant do that every day and expect to live your life ;)

Noilly Pratt
11-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Loser said
The only time I've ever, in my entire life, had the actual flu, was when I got that fkin shot.

Same here...and I remember once when I used to work in an office (I now work at home) a fellow employee and I went, got our shots and then he looked awful pale and fainted! I had to drive him home. He was off for days with the flu.

Maybe coincidence, but that was the only year I had a Violent flu about 2 weeks later.

Little point of me getting the shot...my wife works with kids so she does. I am rarely off for more than 2 days at a stretch with a cold, not a flu.

I think we had the zombie batch that time.

Brains...er I mean Bye

Arkady Renko
11-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Most folks don't even distinguish between a proper flu and a common nasty cold. A real influenza will easily force a healthy person on their knees for a week.

Anyway, getting a flu shot is all about weighing risk against benefit. the shot usually doesn't have any side effects, but even if you get it, you may still contract one of the less common types of flu or a common cold that ends up with a pneumonia if you're unlucky. Me, I'm gonna get the shot next week in time for the "flu season".

Yah, they even have a treatment now called "tamiflu"..

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/

Well, careful with that one. There's no telling how much it really helps. Roche (the manufacturer) did an awesome job at making negative study results disappear.

Godfather
11-23-2012, 06:54 AM
I don't get it out of pure laziness but probably should get it working around so many people. Heard immunity in the people who do get the shot keeps us safe more than anything :lol:

The myth that the flu shot makes you sick is ridiculous. The virus is dead. Very dead. You either already had or didn't have time to gain immunity to the seasonal flu, got a strain it didn't cover, or had a flu-like illness that you blamed on your shot. But the flu shot is created by researchers trying to predict what strains will evolve and be most prevalent that year. They can be wrong and miscalculate any given year.

Acid Trip
11-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Loser said

Same here...and I remember once when I used to work in an office (I now work at home) a fellow employee and I went, got our shots and then he looked awful pale and fainted! I had to drive him home. He was off for days with the flu.

Maybe coincidence, but that was the only year I had a Violent flu about 2 weeks later.

Little point of me getting the shot...my wife works with kids so she does. I am rarely off for more than 2 days at a stretch with a cold, not a flu.

I think we had the zombie batch that time.

Brains...er I mean Bye

He already had the flu by the time he got the shot because it's impossible to get the flu that fast (that and the fact you get a DEAD virus). The incubation period is 24 to 96 hours. Normally 48 hours.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/acip/clinical.htm

Southern Belle
11-25-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm going to get one while I'm off work this week. The only year I didn't get a flu shot, I had the flu in the fall and again in the spring and developed pneumonia as a result after the spring episode. Since I'm susceptible to pneumonia, I'll definitely get a shot.

Southern Belle
11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
I paid for the caregiver who stays with Mama to get one. I don't think Mama would survive the flu with her COPD.

KevinD
11-28-2012, 08:07 AM
I have never had one, and have no plans to get one either. With the immunizations I had as a child, then in the service, and now with my travels, I actually rarely get sick. When I do, it's predominately a cold. I did get pneumonia about 4 years ago. Still not sure how/where I got that.

Noilly Pratt
11-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Well I spoke too soon...been off work since Tuesday with ....the flu! Fever broke this morning finally.

RBP
11-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Well I spoke too soon...been off work since Tuesday with ....the flu! Fever broke this morning finally.

did you get a flu shot? I cba to read back 8-[

KevinD
11-30-2012, 06:56 AM
I don't have the flu, but over thanksgiving, my youngest daughter and one of my nieces were both sick. Now I have a head cold/sore throat. About have the sore throat healed, then today, started with the stuffed up/runny nose.