PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair crusader sues UWS stores for not being handicapped-accessible

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
By KATE BRIQUELET - The NY Post

http://i.imgur.com/npJOT.jpg

She’s hell on wheels for Upper West Side merchants.

Wheelchair-riding Linda Slone, 64, is suing 39 shops in her neighborhood for not being handicapped-accessible.

The legal crusade is netting her thousands, but Slone, who cannot walk because of polio, insists she is simply championing the rights of the disabled.

“If you think this is a money-making scheme, you’re dead wrong,” said Slone, a speech pathologist. “I, along with anybody else with a disability, has the right to go wherever they choose to go and not have to be dissuaded or inconvenienced or even apologetic.”

Mom-and-pop shops live in mortal fear of her next visit.

“It’s a little too fishy to me,” said Andy Besch of West Side Wine, who settled with Slone this month.

“No one ever showed up at my store. No one was ever denied access. Yet I had to pay thousands and was given no opportunity to change anything.”

Barbara Gee Danskin, a shop selling dance gear, was also a target.

“It’s like getting hit up for money,” said owner Allan Greenberg. “It’s a shame. To fight it, you need deep pockets.”

Last month alone, Slone filed papers against eight shops on or near Columbus Avenue, aiming to force them to install ramps and other accessible features.

In each suit, all filed in Manhattan federal court, she demands $500 in damages, plus lawyers’ and experts’ fees, which could run up to $15,000.

She has settled half of her 39 suits since 2010. If she wins them all, she’ll reap at least $19,500 — and hundreds of thousands more for her Brooklyn attorney, Robert Mirel, who works for the Florida-based Weitz Law Firm.

Mirel declined to comment.

Weitz also represents Zoltan Hirsch, a Brooklyn double amputee who The Post revealed last year filed 147 suits citing the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Most small shops have no choice but to settle since the cost of going to court would put them out of business.

Nick Bazas, of Quality Florists, called the drive-by litigation “extortion.”

“You’re asking me for $500 without coming into my store,” he said. “I have a ramp, a sign and a handicapped bathroom. If you would have asked me to use it, I have it.”

Slone said she often warns shops when their steps prevent her motorized chair from entering but admitted it’s easier to call her lawyers.

“I’m not going to sit outside calling for somebody. I’m not going to humiliate myself,” Slone said. “No self-respecting person is.”

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Slone said she often warns shops when their steps prevent her motorized chair from entering but admitted it’s easier to call her lawyers.

“I’m not going to sit outside calling for somebody. I’m not going to humiliate myself,” Slone said. “No self-respecting person is.”

:-s

You can call your lawyers, but you can't use the phone to call the shops in question? Using the phone isn't better than sitting outside yelling for someone?

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 12:07 PM
By the way, I do agree that Mom and Pop stores need to be accessible, but this isn't the way to go about getting them to comply with the law.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
:-s

You can call your lawyers, but you can't use the phone to call the shops in question? Using the phone isn't better than sitting outside yelling for someone?

She's in it for the money dude, plain and simple. According to the article, she sued a shop that sells dance gear.

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
She's in it for the money dude, plain and simple. According to the article, she sued a shop that sells dance gear.

Hahahaha

:lol:

Dance gear, ffs.

FBD
11-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Somebody needs to go loosen the wheels on this bitch's chair

Muddy
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I think as owner of a business it's wheelchair accessibility should be the prerogative of it's owner.

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I think as owner of a business it's wheelchair accessibility should be the prerogative of it's owner.

A business owner's first priority should be compliance with all laws. But sometimes they're roped into a building lease being sold the idea that they don't have to be wheelchair accessible because of some kind of local grandfathering ordinance that they're told supersedes federal law, which just isn't true. Really, business owners should call the Department of Justice to find out the real skinny about federally mandated laws, but not many people know that.

Muddy
11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
A business owner's first priority should be compliance with all laws. But sometimes they're roped into a building lease being sold the idea that they don't have to be wheelchair accessible because of some kind of local grandfathering ordinance that they're told supersedes federal law, which just isn't true. Really, business owners should call the Department of Justice to find out the real skinny about federally mandated laws, but not many people know that.

A business owners first priority is remaining in business.

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
A business owners first priority is remaining in business.

A business owner could very easily be put out of business, if the business owner is not compliant with the law.

Lambchop
11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Do they even make dance gear for wheels?

Muddy
11-12-2012, 01:57 PM
A business owner could very easily be put out of business, if the business owner is not compliant with the law.

I understand.. I was just stating my opinion that I don't agree with the law.

Loser
11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Most of these business owners are renters, not actually owning the shops they run their stores in. So it's actually up to the land lord to install these ramps, not the renter.

If I rented my store front, I'd fight the bitch in court.

Bushviper
11-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Well just tip her over and have a truck ride over her. She is fucking ugly and I am glad she is a cripple. Imagine if she was mobile .... then she would just cause more shot over a larger area.

Hal-9000
11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Most of these business owners are renters, not actually owning the shops they run their stores in. So it's actually up to the land lord to install these ramps, not the renter.

If I rented my store front, I'd fight the bitch in court.

I was thinking the same of people who lease (gotta be 99%...)

and also the bit about not having a chance to install the ramps. They should have sent a letter stating accessibility needs, you have one week...