PDA

View Full Version : What the world can learn from Denmark’s failed fat tax

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Posted by Olga Khazan - The Washington Post

http://i.imgur.com/aAE2N.jpg

The Danish tax ministry announced Saturday that it’s scrapping a fat tax it introduced in October of last year, saying the measure has only increased companies’ administrative costs and caused Danes to venture across the border to purchase their unhealthy snacks.

“The fat tax and the extension of the chocolate tax, the so-called sugar tax, has been criticized for increasing prices for consumers, increasing companies’ administrative costs and putting Danish jobs at risk,” the Danish tax ministry said in a statement Saturday.

The country’s fat tax added 16 kroner ($2.7) per kilogram of saturated fats in a product, and was levied on everything containing saturated fats, including raw ingredients like butter and milk to prepared foods like pizzas.

The price of a half-pound of butter, for example, rose by 2.20 kroner, or 37 cents, but apparently the larger problem was the administrative headache food companies had to endure in order to set the new prices.

The Danish tax ministry said it was also cancelling plans to introduce a tax on sugar, the AFP reported.

It’s an interesting development at a time when the United States and other countries are attempting to steer consumers to healthier choices with their own counter-obesity policies.

Last year Hungary instituted a 50 U.S.-cent tax on fatty foods, plus higher tariffs on soda and alcohol, with the proceeds going to health care costs. Last week, senators in France called for a tax on foods with palm oil, a levy that has been termed the “Nutella tax” after the beloved chocolaty spread that would become pricier as a result.

Israel also is weighing a junk food tax, and in the U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron said he was considering a fat tax similar to Denmark’s, referring to the United States in a local TV interview as a cautionary tale.

“Look at America, how bad things have got there – what happens if we don’t do anything? Yes, that should be a wake-up call,” Cameron said.

In the United States, New York is leading the charge in the war on fat by prohibiting artificial trans fats in restaurant foods, slapping calorie labels on eatery menus and, most recently, adopting a controversial ban on oversize sodas in restaurants, which is now working its way through the state’s courts. Local policymakers in Washington also have tossed around a similar soda measure.

It’s hard to predict whether these laws will actually improve public health, though, or if they’ll go the way of Denmark’s failed policy.

New York’s trans fat ban, which was implemented in 2006, did reduce trans fat consumption significantly, according to a 2009 study that found that the percent of restaurants using trans fats had decreased from 50 percent to less than 2 percent. But calorie-labeling on restaurants menus hasn’t changed consumer purchasing decisions significantly, despite being replicated in cities across the country.

Meanwhile, tobacco research has shown that smoking rates have dropped off dramatically after cigarette prices rose nearly 50 percent in the past decade, and other food studies have concluded that a 10 percent tax leads to about a 10 percent reduction in calories consumed of the taxed product.

In Denmark, the tax might have become too unpopular because it was seen as hurting food businesses. The Danish Food Workers Union told Food Navigator recently that the measure had led to a loss of 1,300 retail and manufacturing jobs there.

Denmark’s obesity problem is also far less severe than U.S.’s: 13 percent of Danes are obese, according to the Danish National Health and Medicines Authority, compared with more than 35 percent of Americans, so the consequences of abandoning the fat-tax initiative are arguably less dire there.

It could also be that Denmark’s tax was just high enough to become a nuisance for manufacturers — and to act as an incentive for cross-border cookie runs — without making a significant impact on how people actually eat.

A May British Medical Journal study found that ”fat taxes” would have to increase the price of unhealthy food by as much as 20 percent in order to cut consumption by enough to reduce obesity, and they should be paired with subsidies on fruits and vegetables so consumers don’t swap out one unhealthy habit for another.

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Or maybe y'all shouldn't be telling people what to eat. You leave them alone to make their own choices and let nature take its course naturally. If people want to be healthy, they'll eat healthy, and die when it's their time. If they don't want to eat healthy, then they won't eat healthy, and they'll die when it's their time. And oddly enough, you'll see some of the unhealthy eaters outliving the healthy ones from time to time.

lost in melb.
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Better just to tax donuts :thumbsup:

Jezter
11-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Or maybe y'all shouldn't be telling people what to eat. You leave them alone to make their own choices and let nature take its course naturally. If people want to be healthy, they'll eat healthy, and die when it's their time. If they don't want to eat healthy, then they won't eat healthy, and they'll die when it's their time. And oddly enough, you'll see some of the unhealthy eaters outliving the healthy ones from time to time.
This. :tup:

The only thing is that eating shitty is sooooo much cheaper. If that could be changed, I'd be a happy camper.

Muddy
11-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I like the doughnut in the top left...

RBP
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I like the doughnut in the top left...

The coconut one? :puke:

Muddy
11-12-2012, 03:14 PM
The coconut one? :puke:

Now why would you puke from coconut?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Now why would you puke from coconut?

Because it's disgusting :puke:

Muddy
11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I disagree and so does Mary Ann. :hand:

http://i.imgur.com/n9jnJ.jpg

FBD
11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll take the coconut, but hold the donut. that shit's nasty!

Lambchop
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I had a few as a kid until I found out about the lard.

Muddy
11-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Coconut >Colorado Cheesesteak >Virgina Cheesesteak >Steak-um >Philly Cheesesteak

RBP
11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
I had a few as a kid until I found out about the lard.

whatdyou call me? :x

RBP
11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
the smell of my balls > the smell of coconut

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2012, 04:30 PM
slapping calorie labels on eatery menus

I like that restaurants do this, it has definitely made me think twice and order differently when I see that I'm going to be eating a days calories in one meal.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
I like that restaurants do this, it has definitely made me think twice and order differently when I see that I'm going to be eating a days calories in one meal.

So instead of the Dbl Quarter Pounder Meal Super-Sized with Coke, you get a diet Coke instead now? :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Exactly.

We go to a restaurant called BJ's and I couldn't believe the amount of calories in their meals. They sound healthy enough but they arent.

Muddy
11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Exactly.

We go to a restaurant called BJ's and I couldn't believe the amount of calories in their meals. They sound healthy enough but they arent.

Chipotle seems like it would be low calorie... Not.

PF Changs is the worst.

Lambchop
11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Does the Heart Attack Grill give calorie info. ? The quadruple bypass burger sounds delightful :naughty:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah they pitch it like its healthy but they LIE!

California Grilled Chicken Sandwich (BJ's Restaurants)
Serving Size: 1 Sandwich Calories: 824 Total Fat: 13g Carbs: 61g Protein: 0g

Honey-crisp Chicken Salad (BJ's Restaurants)
Serving Size: 1 Salad Calories: 943 Total Fat: 66g Carbs: 46g Protein: 49g

Cajun Pasta (BJ's Restaurants)
Serving Size: 1 Plate Calories: 1268 Total Fat: 11g Carbs: 153g Protein:

Grilled Chicken Pasta (BJ's Restaurants)
Serving Size: 1 Order Calories: 1476 Total Fat: 23g Carbs: 146g Protein:

Grilled chicken pasta 1476 Cal and 23g fat :shock: WTF!

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Coconut >Colorado Cheesesteak >Virgina Cheesesteak >Steak-um >Philly Cheesesteak

:nono:

Ok, now you've gone way too far. Steak-ums shouldn't even be in the same conversation as cheesesteaks.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Why? They are both SHIT meat ;)

Lambchop
11-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Philly cheesesteak was invented in London by Sir Phillip Steakington.

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Why? They are both SHIT meat ;)

You're mistaken. Real cheesesteaks are made with thinly sliced ribeye, sir.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2012, 07:16 PM

You're mistaken. Real cheesesteaks are made with thinly sliced ribeye, sir.

I have been to Philly multiple times, and multiple times with different people have tried "the best cheese steak in Philly" everyone tasted like shit, I dont know what they do to the meat but its disgusting.

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I have been to Philly multiple times, and multiple times with different people have tried "the best cheese steak in Philly" everyone tasted like shit, I dont know what they do to the meat but its disgusting.

You're dead to me.

[-(

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Thats fine, I hear that a lot from Philly shit eaters :dance:

DemonGeminiX
11-12-2012, 07:20 PM
You'll rue the day.

:willie:

Muddy
11-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Philly cheesesteak was invented in London by Sir Phillip Steakington.

:lol:

Muddy
11-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Lance, can we make this a forum announcement? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-12-2012, 07:26 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2012, 07:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wRxCg.png