PDA

View Full Version : Is it a full moon? Is it Crazytown, population YOU? Talk about it..

Noilly Pratt
11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
A few friends of mine and I have been sharing stories and it's out considered opinion that the earth has gone a little closer to the sun, or it's a full moon tomorrow or something is wrong in the cosmos...the crazies are OUT THERE! I'll share my story.

I was in a parking lot yesterday about to drive to my favourte bookstore when a lady and a kid, both dressed in dark clothing cross in front of me. It's a rainy overcast day and not the best day to be out in black really, but whatever. And the striking thing is that the kid is soooo tiny - maybe 3-4 years old...barely toddling, and the woman is very large...a stark contrast.

So they walk across and once across the kid breaks free and tries to run across again back to the coffee shop that they left. I see this and haven't moved one inch. She quickly gathers the kid up and brings him to the car. I creep forward maybe 1 foot and what looks to be the grandma of the group strides in front of me. Again with black clothing. OK, fine, go ahead. I stop.

She walks across, chatting all the while to her daughter, and they seem to be trying to outshout each other. It's a cold day so my window is closed- I can't or don't care to hear them. "Grandma" gets to the back of the minivan and because it's a long van, she's still in the road a little bit. I turn to the left, and give her at least 3' of clearance and slowly drive by (I asked my daughter who was sitting on that side of our van to confirm this later). I drive down the parking lot and find a spot about 30' away, right across from my bookstore.

I park, get out and the both of them scream from the top of their lungs from their original spot words I can't understand...they're quite far away...far enough that you couldn't identify anyone's face. I did hear the Grandma say "you nearly kill me!" and much yammering on. I yell "I was nowhere near you", shake my head and go into the bookstore and wave goodbye.

Meanwhile the bookstore owner says to me "careful, we had someone just drive their car through our window...they backed up way too fast. Hit and run." And the clerk said she had a non-sensical road rage incident that morning .

So I tell them about the crazy family. They said they were watching the whole thing and saw I did nothing wrong and said the kid ran out because the mother was busy yelling across to the grandma.

We all collectively wonder if it's a full moon...and then I heard other stories from friends....

How about you? Any weirdness to share? Or is it just in my 'hood?

DemonGeminiX
11-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't have any stories but people are nuts everywhere, Noilly.

Hal-9000
11-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Last week we had a dump of snow, roads and visibility were poor. Playground zones are in effect up here from 8:30am to one hour after sunset...a parameter I've never liked.

I'm going down a back street near my house and there's a playground zone. It's just getting dark, little rays of light left in the sky so I slow down to 30kms out of habit. This woman has a small child with her and she's talking on a cell phone. She literally pushes the kid out into the street ahead of her, while chatting to someone on the phone in an animated fashion with her hands (maybe arguing). So the child gets shoved out onto the street in darkened, snowy conditions, she's looking the other way yacking on the phone about 5 steps behind the toddler.

Most people don't slow down that time of night, I was VERY glad I did. If I was going over 50kms an hour, I may have hit the kid.