PDA

View Full Version : 'Smokers should need a licence': Public health expert's radical proposal that would cap how many cigarettes you could buy

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 11:44 AM
By Claire Bates - The Daily Mail

http://i.imgur.com/ZKHyw.jpg

It's a radical proposal that will be welcomed warmly by some and labelled outrageous by others - introducing a 'smoker's licence' to help reduce the damaging effects of tobacco.

The unusual suggestion was made by Professor Simon Chapman from the University of Sydney in Australia in this week's PLOS Medicine.

Users would have to apply and pay for a mandatory licence in the form of a smartcard that would be shown when buying cigarettes. Dr Chapman said this could discourage teenagers from picking up the habit.

The anti-smoking activist argues the sale of tobacco is currently subject to trivial controls compared to other dangerous products that threaten both public and personal safety.

'The prolonged use of tobacco causes the death of about half its
users, with a billion people this century predicted to die from
tobacco caused disease,' he said.

'No other human activity causes a remotely comparable number of annual deaths.'

Controversially, the smartcard would allow the government to limit how many cigarettes a smoker could buy - Prof Chapman suggests 50 per day averaged over two weeks to accommodate heavy smokers.

He said the licence would be reissued every year, smokers setting daily limits for the number of cigarettes they buy. They would also be tested on their knowledge of the health risks of smoking.

He added that the data collected from smartcard applications could be used to formulate better smoking prevention strategies.

Prof Chapman said: 'Opponents of the idea would be quick to suggest that Orwellian social engineers would soon be calling for licenses to drink alcohol and to eat junk food or engage in any 'risky' activity.

'This argument rests on poor public understanding of the magnitude of the risks of smoking relative to other cumulative everyday risks to health.'

However, in a response article Professor Jeff Collin from the University of Edinburgh said a smoker's licence would not be workable.

He said: 'The authoritarian connotations of the smoker's license would inevitably meet with broad opposition. In the United Kingdom, for example, successive governments have failed to introduce identity cards.'

He added that a licence would further stigmatise and alienate smokers and would shift the focus away from the tobacco industry which he thinks is the real culprit.

'Fundamental challenge confronting any endgame strategy is that the move towards a tobacco-free society should address the social determinants of health and promote equity and social justice,' he said.

'The proposal for a smoker's license should be rejected as failing this challenge.'

The UK have brought in a range of measures in recent years to discourage the habit. Smoking was banned in enclosed public places in England in July 2007, including bars and restaurants (following Scotland and Wales.)

Packets of cigarettes were then hidden from view in large shops in April this year and small newsagents will have to have followed suit by April 2015.

A UK-wide consultation on government plans to introduce mandatory plain packaging for tobacco closed in August. The government said it would make a decision when the responses had been considered.

Loser
11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm not entirely against this....

If they tacked on legalising weed ;)

Muddy
11-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I think it's unfair for an insurance company to be forced to insure a smoker.

Loser
11-15-2012, 04:08 PM

I think it's unfair insurance companies are forced to insure fat people, people that worked with asbestos, law enforcement, firefighters, people that eat red meat, and people that drink alcohol. ;)

Muddy
11-15-2012, 04:10 PM
I think it's unfair insurance companies are forced to insure fat people, people that worked with asbestos, law enforcement, firefighters, people that eat red meat, and people that drink alcohol. ;)

wink wink

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Obamacare is gonna enforce insurers to insure absolutely anyone

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm not entirely against this....

If they tacked on legalising weed ;)

Yes, because we need more government intrusion into our lives :|

Muddy
11-15-2012, 04:21 PM
It's really not even insurance anymore... When "insurance" covers everything it becomes a health care plan.

Loser
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Yes, because we need more government intrusion into our lives :|

I wouldn't care who intruded into my life, as long as I'm stoned outa my mind and leeching off the guv :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:19 PM
free cheese

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
free cheese

Gouda please.

Mmmm....Gouda... :drool:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:31 PM
free cheese

That gov't cheese makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:38 PM
And the best unemployed people

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WbVBr.png

FBD
11-15-2012, 06:03 PM
It's really not even insurance anymore... When "insurance" covers everything it becomes a health care plan.

health care financing money laundering scheme

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I wish they would make smokers wear an adapted fish bowl over their heads in public so that I wouldn't have to inhale or taste the chemicals produced. :cheerlead:

Muddy
11-15-2012, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUJ2PGHwYlc

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 07:55 PM
I wish liberals wore a plastic bag over their heads so they would drown in the bullshit they spew. :tup:

Muddy
11-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I wish there was a god that conservative blowhards had to answer to when they died.

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 08:04 PM
I wish there was a god that conservative blowhards had to answer to when they died.

I wish I could drop racist white people in a room full of the very people they talk so much shit about.

Muddy
11-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I wish I could drop racist white people in a room full of the very people they talk so much shit about.

I wish people that earn a egregious salary for doing nothing beyond what a high school graduate could accomplish would have their salary's cut to the 35k a year they deserve, so they could wake up and live in the real world.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 08:20 PM
When you wish upon a star

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I wish people that earn a egregious salary for doing nothing beyond what a high school graduate could accomplish would have their salary's cut to the 35k a year they deserve, so they could wake up and live in the real world.

Don't be so down on yourself Muddy. I'm sure your job would be too hard for a high school graduate. :lol:

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I wish conservatives could attach a hose pipe directly from the anal cavities of the corporate leeches to their mouths so that they could finally see what they have been supporting all this time :cheerlead: