PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: 'Our Constitution Has Failed'

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 11:55 AM
By Chris Good | ABC OTUS News

http://i.imgur.com/payDZ.jpg

Rep. Ron Paul, the iconic libertarian congressman from Texas, has delivered what will most likely be his final address to Congress.

In a sprawling, 52-minute speech to the House chamber, Paul lambasted U.S. government, politicians and special interests, declaring that the U.S. people must return to virtue before the government allows them to be free, and that the Constitution has failed to limit the scope of an authoritarian bureaucracy.

"Our Constitution, which was intended to limit government power and abuse, has failed," Paul said. "The Founders warned that a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people. The current crisis reflects that their concerns were justified."

For the retiring Republican, 77, the "current crisis" isn't quite what it is for other members of Congress, who routinely use that word to describe the economic recession that followed the 2008 financial crash. To the Texas Republican, that's part of it, but the causes are deeper, and it's also a crisis of governmental authoritarianism and the vanishing of personal liberty.

"If it's not accepted that big government, fiat money, ignoring liberty, central economic planning, welfarism, and warfarism caused our crisis, we can expect a continuous and dangerous march toward corporatism and even fascism with even more loss of our liberties," said Paul, an obstetrician-gynecologist by training.

The problem isn't just government's size, but its use of force, both in starting preemptive wars and as it coerces U.S. citizens with police power. To Paul, this is the fault of Americans who no longer prioritize liberty, and it will lead to the unraveling of orderly society unless people change.

"Restraining aggressive behavior is one thing, but legalizing a government monopoly for initiating aggression can only lead to exhausting liberty associated with chaos, anger and the breakdown of civil society," Paul said. "We now have a standing army of armed bureaucrats in the TSA, CIA, FBI, Fish and Wildlife, FEMA, IRS, Corp of Engineers, etc., numbering over 100,000 civil society."

More than coercive, to Paul the government is also corrupt: "All branches of our government today are controlled by individuals who use their power to undermine liberty and enhance the welfare/warfare state-and frequently their own wealth and power," he said.

Throughout his speech, Paul questioned not only the fundamental health of America's social compact, but specifics like fiat money, the power of the Federal Reserve, the PATRIOT Act, Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act modifications, undeclared war, the illegalization of medical marijuana, mandatory sentencing requirements for drug crimes, the illegalization of hemp, TSA searches, federal debt and borrowing, the White House's authority to assassinate those it declares terrorists, the legalization of detaining U.S. citizens for national-security purposes, the political power of AIPAC, and the regulation of light bulbs and toilets in people's homes.

For Paul, the list of grievances is long, and he might not have accomplished much in Congress: "In many ways, according to conventional wisdom, my off-and-on career in Congress, from 1976 to 2012, accomplished very little," he said. "No named legislation, no named federal buildings or highways, thank goodness. In spite of my efforts, the government has grown exponentially, taxes remain excessive, and the prolific increase of incomprehensible regulations continues. Wars are constant and pursued without congressional declaration."

In thinking about the champions of liberty, his lesson is a bitter one: "History has shown that the masses have been quite receptive to the promises of authoritarians which are rarely if ever fulfilled," but his prescription is hopeful.

Paul left the podium, for the last time, offering an "answer" to all of these problems: that people should choose liberty and limit government, and seek change within themselves.

"The number one responsibility for each of us is to change ourselves with hope that others will follow," Paul said, urging an end to two motives that have hindered U.S. society: envy and intolerance.

"I have come to one firm conviction after these many years of trying to figure out the plain truth of things. The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty. If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land."

FBD
11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I cant imagine how frustrated he must feel...

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I cant imagine how frustrated he must feel...

That's not the sound of someone who is frustrated. He's full on defeated at this point.

I don't blame him for feeling that way either. This country is completely fucked.

I'm ready to fight and the worst is yet to come. I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Only politician that tried to save peoples freedoms and he was mocked as a crazy person. Thanks for your service Ron Paul

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Only politician that tried to save peoples freedoms and he was mocked as a crazy person. Thanks for your service Ron Paul

He's only crazy when it comes to his foreign policy ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/W7a5C.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:11 PM
He's only crazy when it comes to his foreign policy ;)

Yes because they last 12 years of foreign policy have been fantastic

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jWYfe.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes because they last 12 years of foreign policy have been fantastic

Dude, Ron Paul wants to go back to the 1920's and 30's version of foreign policy. That's just crazy talk in this day and age.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
We need to be policing the world and initiating attacks on foreign soil. :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:22 PM
We need to be policing the world and initiating attacks on foreign soil. :roll:

No, no, you're right, we should just stick out heads in the sand like an ostrich and stick our fingers in our ears and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist :roll:

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Dude, Ron Paul wants to go back to the 1920's and 30's version of foreign policy. That's just crazy talk in this day and age.

Staying neutral in foreign affairs and not creating permanent alliances is crazy talk?

How other countries do business is none of our business. If we don't like what a country is doing then don't trade with them or have foreign relations (stay neutral and stay out of it).

Why do we have permanent alliances? They do nothing but cause problems. Every situation should be judged on it's merits not some earlier event (Alliance) where we agreed on everything for a set period of time.

We should scale back our world involvement and have the largest nuclear stockpile in the world. Make it very clear that if you attack the US (traditional or terrorist) we will nuke your country into oblivion. There will be no negotiations.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Was Libya a threat to us? If you think they are out there protecting our freedom you would be mistaken. They are out there protecting oil companies interests

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Staying neutral in foreign affairs and not creating permanent alliances is crazy talk?

How other countries do business is none of our business. If we don't like what a country is doing then don't trade with them or have foreign relations (stay neutral and stay out of it).

Why do we have permanent alliances? They do nothing but cause problems. Every situation should be judged on it's merits not some earlier event (Alliance) where we agreed on everything for a set period of time.

We should scale back our world involvement and have the largest nuclear stockpile in the world. Make it very clear that if you attack the US (traditional or terrorist) we will nuke your country into oblivion. There will be no negotiations.

Awesome, then we should just give Iran some of our nuclear weapons, that way we can cut down on their learning curve. And maybe give the North Koreans some of our missile technology so they can really become a threat. Since we don't care what happens in the rest of the world and those countries, while left unchecked will get there eventually anyways :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Was Libya a threat to us? If you think they are out there protecting our freedom you would be mistaken. They are out there protecting oil companies interests

I know, it's awesome isn't it? All that cheap gas we are getting here all the time and...oh, wait :rolleyes:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:36 PM
I know, it's awesome isn't it? All that cheap gas we are getting here all the time and...oh, wait :rolleyes:

:facepalm: I made no mention that it was in the interests of the citizens, I made the exact opposite point

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Awesome, then we should just give Iran some of our nuclear weapons, that way we can cut down on their learning curve. And maybe give the North Koreans some of our missile technology so they can really become a threat. Since we don't care what happens in the rest of the world and those countries, while left unchecked will get there eventually anyways :thumbsup:

Oh, I didnt realize Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan were nuclear threats. Im glad you straightened that out.

Leefro
11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh, I didnt realize Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan were nuclear threats. Im glad you straightened that out.

Everybody has to check out everyone in times like these

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 05:42 PM
I would have no problem going in and handling a real threat like Iran, but thats not what our government is interested in doing, all though they have convinced some people differently

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 05:47 PM

Where did I say that we should give nukes to Iran or missile technology to North Korea? Oh that's right, I didn't. Nice try at putting words in my mouth.

As far as I know Ron Paul has never made those comments either. When it comes to foreign affairs he says "what other countries are doing (on their own) is none of our business." He's never once said "let's give everyone nukes and missile technology so that we are all equal."

Leefro
11-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Where did I say that we should give nukes to Iran or missile technology to North Korea? Oh that's right, I didn't. Nice try at putting words in my mouth.

As far as I know Ron Paul has never made those comments either. When it comes to foreign affairs he says "what other countries are doing (on their own) is none of our business." He's never once said "let's give everyone nukes and missile technology so that we are all equal."

Get the World Police on line one

FBD
11-15-2012, 05:49 PM

big gov + big banks + big labor + big business fucking orgy fest

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Oh FFS, settle down, did I say those were your words? :roll: