PDA

View Full Version : Woman In Ireland Dies After Being Denied an Abortion During a Miscarriage

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
By Dashiell Bennett | The Atlantic Wire

http://i.imgur.com/WQKTF.jpg

Women's rights and health activists are outraged after reports that a pregnant woman in Ireland died after she was denied an abortion that might have saved her life. Savita Halappanavar was 17 weeks pregnant when she showed up at a hospital in Galway last month, complaining of back pain. Doctors quickly determined that she was having a miscarriage and chose to let it run its course. After spending a full day in "severe pain" and understanding that the baby could not be saved, Halappanavar asked for the pregnancy to be terminated. The hospital refused, reportedly telling the couple that "this is a Catholic country" and there was nothing it could do as long a heartbeat could be detected.

It was another two and half days before the heartbeat stopped and the fetus was removed, but by then the damage had been done. Halappanavar had developed septicemia and E. coli infections. She spent another four days in intensive care and died a week after entering the hospital.

Abortion is completely illegal in Ireland, but can technically be allowed if "there is a real and substantial risk to the life (as distinct from the health) of the mother." In other words, it's not enough for the mother to be in pain or at risk of complications. They have to reasonably believe that she will die without it. Now an investigation is underway as to whether the hospital acted properly and Halappanavar's family is considering legal action. She and her husband are Hindus from India, but both lived and worked in Ireland.

There are also already calls being made for the Republic of Ireland to back off what is are some of the strictest anti-abortion rules in the world. Just days before Halappanavar's ordeal, the first legitimate women's health clinic to offer abortions opened across the border in Northern Ireland, which operates under different laws, but faces an equally strident pro-life opposition. (Abortion has been legal in the UK since the 1960s, but Northern Ireland has never enacted the law that allows it.) The tough rules lead as many 4,000 women to leave the country in search of abortions each year.

One writer called the treatment of Halappanavar "cruelty disguised as piety, cowardice misrepresented as principle," saying that even if she hadn't died, the pain alone should have justified the procedure. Arguments over just these kinds of abortion exemptions—and the often foolish comments made by some conservatives—were part of a major debate the helped swing several key election in the U.S. this year.

FBD
11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
run its course? what's this, the dark ages?

Godfather
11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
So fucked. Hopefully this prompts a change.

I'm shocked that even in a pro-life country, several doctors didn't make a judgement call for the sake of the patient. I know there are protocols along similar lines here for children when several doctors sign off to overrule a parent's stupid decisions.

MrsM
11-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Sad... Health Care should respect the clients religion - but should not distribute care based on the doctor/hospital's religion

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 07:28 PM
RIP another victim of poor religious interpretation/application :(

RBP
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Sad... Health Care should respect the clients religion - but should not distribute care based on the doctor/hospital's religion

RIP another victim of poor religious interpretation/application :(

:-s

Don't blame religion, blame law.

minz
11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
:-s

Don't blame religion, blame law.

Halappanavar asked for the pregnancy to be terminated. The hospital refused, reportedly telling the couple that "this is a Catholic country" and there was nothing it could do as long a heartbeat could be detected.

The religion made the law :-s

RBP
11-15-2012, 07:59 PM
The religion made the law :-s

People make laws... are you saying Ireland is a theocracy?

minz
11-15-2012, 08:08 PM
People make laws... are you saying Ireland is a theocracy?

I would say that's a pretty good description of Ireland.

RBP
11-15-2012, 08:10 PM
I would say that's a pretty good description of Ireland.

That's commentary not governmental structure.

Leefro
11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Heard the news on Channel 4 last night a sad case of affairs in the year we are in

They have not moved forward one iota since the rape case with the 14 year old

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IKGTJ.png

minz
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
That's commentary not governmental structure.

But their laws are governed by the Catholic religion, the quote said it all IMO.

RBP
11-15-2012, 08:16 PM
But their laws are governed by the Catholic religion, the quote said it all IMO.

governed by? not really... if they are electing hard line Catholics and the laws reflect that then the people need to change their representation if they don't like the results. Isn't that what you lot are telling us about our elections?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
good call

Leefro
11-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Their law killed a person

Hope they are happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlEs9udOquE

minz
11-15-2012, 08:21 PM
governed by? not really... if they are electing hard line Catholics and the laws reflect that then the people need to change their representation if they don't like the results. Isn't that what you lot are telling us about our elections?

But they are all hard line Catholics in Ireland :lol:

Leefro
11-15-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

RBP
11-15-2012, 08:27 PM
But they are all hard line Catholics in Ireland :lol:

They deserve what they elect. So do we.

Muddy
11-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Tell that to Tejas.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 08:31 PM

Tell that to Tejas.

And the 58 million + of us that didn't vote for the Glorious Leader

minz
11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
So what I get from this story is, it's OK to let a woman die needlessly because an unprovable book says so? It’s like something out of the middle ages. :shock:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 08:37 PM
:hand: Your vote doesnt count

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 08:38 PM
So what I get from this story is, it's OK to let a woman die needlessly because an unprovable book says so? It’s like something out of the middle ages. :shock:

Hahahahaha, watch out you might start thinking for yourself with talk like this

minz
11-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Hahahahaha, watch out you might start thinking for yourself with talk like this

OK good point :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 08:39 PM
:hand: Your vote doesnt count

But they said that every vote counts :sad2:

RBP
11-15-2012, 08:42 PM

What are you on about... unapproved book? You mean the laws of Ireland?

I don't think this is ok, but it is the law, what would you have them do?

RBP
11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
And the 58 million + of us that didn't vote for the Glorious Leader

WE elected the guy. :dunno:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 08:43 PM
WE elected the guy. :dunno:

No I didn't :nono: