View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto V

redred
11-15-2012, 05:49 PM
:bounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84&feature=relmfu

Hugh_Janus
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM
fucking gay.... I was goig to post this after checking out all the new posts :sad2:

looks brill though

Hugh_Janus
11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
and apparently, the mip is bigger than san andreas, gta 4 and red dead redemption COMBINED :shock:

Hal-9000
11-15-2012, 08:40 PM
and apparently, the mip is bigger than san andreas, gta 4 and red dead redemption COMBINED :shock:

:shock:

I never have played GTA4...had a pirated copy that reverted to the drunkcam constantly as part of the copy protection :lol:

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm in.

Godfather
11-16-2012, 03:16 AM
So ready for this game! Wooee

Lambchop
11-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Maybe I should finish GTA IV first. I always end up straying from the missions and spending hours roaming and raping everything in sight :cheerlead:

Leefro
11-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I wont be buying it as the previous GTA did my roe in

samarchepas
11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Yup, bigger map than Red Dead Redemption,GTAIV and San Andreas COMBINED AND you have **3** main characters that you can switch at any moment that you want to!

redred
11-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Red Dead Redemption took 25 minute ish to get from one side to the other ,i thought that was a big map:shock:

lost in melb.
11-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Insane in-game graphics. :shock:

Wish I had the time - and eyeballs. Enjoy popelops

samarchepas
11-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Hopefully they can show actual gameplay next :lol: not just cut-scenes.

samarchepas
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
WTF Rockstar?!?! They said "Spring 2013"...now its September 2013 :x (No point in pre-ordering now)

redred
01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
boo :x

Hugh_Janus
01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
50 bucks says that's when the new xbox comes out ;)

Leefro
02-02-2013, 12:17 AM
WTF Rockstar?!?! They said "Spring 2013"...now its September 2013 :x (No point in pre-ordering now)

17th September to be precise

Bet it comes out in December

Godfather
02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
50 bucks says that's when the new xbox comes out ;)

God I can't wait... graphics on an Xbox game are lagging worse than ever. Seeing Battlefield 3 on max settings on a friend's PC made that painfully clear.

Hugh_Janus
02-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I won't be buying one until the price drops.... I made that mistake with my PS2 :wha:. I waited 'til the end of '07 I think before I bought my 360

Godfather
02-02-2013, 09:36 PM
I read a very interesting post on some expectations for the next gen. Sounds like it will debut cheaper, and still far more profitable for the producers than the last gen of consoles because of how far tech and production has come since 2005.

Hugh_Janus
02-03-2013, 12:13 AM
how much cheaper.... I'm pretty sure the 360 started off about £500 over here, which, back in the day was ~$1000US

Hugh_Janus
02-03-2013, 12:15 AM
actually, it may have been less than that.... I think the £500 was what the retards were paying for them on ebay

Godfather
02-03-2013, 08:42 PM
This is from a dude on Reddit who is quite credible in the community:
Full thread here, great read:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/16tttt/orbis_unmasked_what_to_expect_from_the_nextgen/c7zfgtg

I am privy to information that is under NDA and I can't share specific details but I will detail my thoughts to maybe give an idea of what I've seen and where I think they are going with this. At this moment in time I happen to know more about Durango than Orbis. I wrote a few pieces on a developers forum and since I don't have a lot to do I decided to copy and paste and rewrite some parts of it for Reddit. This is going to be long but somebody might like it. I'll break it down into sections so I don't put too many off.

Ports:

When the xbox came out it opened the doors for Bioware to do console development, up until that point Bioware had never released a game on a console but KOTOR was released on both the Xbox and PC. The thing about the Xbox was that it was so similar to a standard PC it just made financial sense to develop for it as it was so easy and didn't cost a lot. This current generation both Sony and Microsoft went with standard GPU's, this is why we have so many ports between the 360, PS3 and PC, go back to the previous PS2 generation and it would have been extremely costly and complex to do porting, Final Fantasy X would have been extremely difficult to get on an Xbox.

If both the 720 and PS4 are running AMD CPU's then that is a revolution, what that means is every developer working on consoles and PC will have a grip on the architecture of all three platforms. The 720 is a Windows PC, the PS4 is a Linux PC. I was wondering how Valve were going to convince developers to put money into developing games for a Linux, they don't need to anymore, Sony just did that for them, porting to Linux just became trivial, you shouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years you end up seeing Max Payne 4 released simultaneously for your Windows or Linux PC, Steambox, 720 and PS4.

How console development works and a few details about the CPU:

It's worth noting that development kits don't ship with final hardware, they ship with an "approximation" of what the final hardware will look, the GPU in the xbox 360 was changed around 3 months before the final version came out, they could change the final hardware for either console at any time but with the development kits in later stages we have a decent idea of what they are shooting for. The other thing to note is that both consoles have been in development for at least a year, maybe two. The way it works is that Microsoft will pop over to AMD and say "what are you guys working on" and then AMD will show them and Microsoft will say "hey I like that, can you guys set up a second team and develop a version for our needs".

AMD were working on these "Jaguar" cores for a while and they probably made a second team to work on a version for Microsoft's console. The AMD Jaguar cores are designed to be extremely low powered and they have numerous power saving features. Nowadays you don't really need a very powerful CPU since the GPU can do a lot more. The benefit of 8 cores is that you can switch off the cores that you aren't using. Imagine having a 2 core processor, it consumes 20 watts and each core is quite powerful. Now that 8 core processor, it also consumes 20 watts however each core is weaker than the 2 core processor. However the benefit is that if you can use all 8 cores you can get some serious performance out of it and on the other hand if you only need 1 core, when you switch off the other 7 cores you will only be consuming a measly 2.5 watts. Basically the AMD processor will not kick your i5 or i7's arse but it doesn't need to. Furthermore with this set up you can still call on a lot of power but you can also switch off what you don't need. You might boot up on your 720 and watch Netflix with one core working and the graphics card off, then you boot up Trine 2 and you have 4 cores and 20% of your GPU working, then you put on Battlefield 4 and the 8 cores and 100% of the GPU are singing. AMD are a big believer in heterogeneous computing, in other words everything works together and what isn't needed doesn't draw power, this could be exciting if they pull it off.

The graphics card:

On the GPU part, about a few months ago me and colleagues were speculating about what we would see. In the end we whittled it down to two "performance envelopes". One was equivalent to a HD 7850-7870 and the other was equivalent to a GTX 680. It's worth noting that we didn't expect them to throw a GTX 680 in there, we just expected hardware that with the appropriate coding would perform to a similar level. I have to say I was holding out for GTX 680 like performance. The significance of that would have been the possibility of games that look something like Samaritan demo or Agni's Philosophy. Unfortunately at this moment in time it looks like we will be going for something closer to a 7850 but it's worth noting this could change even only months before launch. Either way the current configuration, with writing to the metal we should be able to probably get Battlefield 3 on high with most or all settings turned up full running at 1080P and 60FPS. It's nothing to sneer at but part of me is still holding out for even better. After all consider that if the next generation consoles come out in 2014 by 2016 they will be "base platforms" as PC's will have grown in power. Now if they can get Agni's Philosophy running on a base platform then imagine what they could do with a mid range or high end PC. Either way though with what we know about things expect a giant leap, consoles have an edge since you don't have API overhead, you write to the metal. Even a 7850 equivalent in a console is a big big jump up.

Sony and Microsoft's apparent strategy for next-gen consoles:

Last thing I want to say about this is that it seems like Microsoft and Sony are taking different approaches. Microsoft are going with slower DDR RAM but more of it, they seem to be "saving" a lot of RAM for OS functions, in other words it looks like Microsoft have some sort of plans, maybe Kinect 2.0 or something. Sony on the other hand went with less RAM but it is faster GDDR RAM and Sony are also seemingly spending more money on the GPU. In other words the way it looks the PS4 will be engineered to be a pure gaming machine with more power, the 720 will fall in between the PS4 and Wii U in terms of power. It's interesting though because Microsoft are intent on saving a lot of money on memory and GPU from the looks of it and then they allocate a lot of RAM for some sort of software function. I'm thinking maybe it might actually be true that Kinect 2.0 is going to ship with all 720's, I thought it would be too expensive but considering how much they would save by going for slower RAM and a lower powered GPU and the fact that they are allocating a huge 3GB to software functions Kinect 2.0 makes sense. I have to confess I am a little disappointed with Microsoft's direction and I like the fact that Sony are so intent on lavishing every penny on making it a monster console. The two consoles from the looks of it should cost around the same but a lot of the money for the 720 will seemingly go to Kinect 2.0 while Sony will invest all that money in faster RAM and a more powerful GPU.

TL;DR/What to expect:

The first version of the next generation consoles should draw less power than the first version versions of the 360 and PS3 which means there probably won't be a power brick and the cases might be a little smaller too. With sufficient RAM resolution becomes "cheap" so you won't be sacrificing much visual detail by going to a higher resolution, in other words 1080P and 60 FPS should be the standard across the entire board. You should have a sleek quiet little box that sits under your TV, has power gating so when you are Netflixing it sips only a tiny amount of power but stays quiet and relatively cool even when it's running full power. Your games will look around Battlefield 3 on high with most/all settings maxed, 1080P60. Basically as a console gamer you will see a huge leap and everybody else will see incredible bang for buck.

The next generation consoles are being designed in mind with components that should mean they can be sold for less and still make a profit. It seems like neither Microsoft nor Sony will subsidise their next generation consoles, they will make a profit with every console sold. In fact they might be able to make a profit with a launch price of $300 to $350 though of course they could sell it for more and just make bigger margins. Either way though this is a healthier strategy and if they don't go for huge margins you should be able to pick one up for a reasonable price. It also seems like Sony and Microsoft could each match each other for price, one companies console doesn't seem to cost much more to make than the others.

Godfather
02-03-2013, 08:42 PM
A few observations about the directions being taken:

Some years ago console developers used to design hardware that was intentionally different, that was the era of exclusives. As games got more expensive it made sense to port them to multiple platforms to maximise sales. This turned out to be a sound strategy for developers and for platforms. With the coming generation this gap is likely to disappear almost entirely, ports will be easy.

There is a big reason for moving in this direction. A large number of console sales are made to "casual gamers", casual gamers largely play games to pass time and they can easily seek out another activity to do the same, gaming is just one of a number of activities for them to pass their time, people who are dedicated gamers, routinely buy games and would say games are important to them are what they call "core gamers". Jeff might pick up an xbox 360 and get a handful of popular games to play a little every now and then but Jeff is not a dedicated gamer and he might pass his time just as well with Fruit Ninja. On the other hand for Frank Fruit Ninja isn't enough, he likes gaming, thinks of himself as a gamer and wants to play Mass Effect 4 and discuss Final Fantasy 15 on the forums. See the thing is Frank isn't going anywhere, you can rely on his custom but Jeff on the other hand is content with his iPad. It might not seem like a big deal but this is happening a lot, casual gamers are really getting enamoured with the likes of Angry Birds. As a consequence of smartphones and tablets the sales of the next generation consoles are probably going to be lower than this generation, say for example the 360 and PS3 end up with 70 million a piece sold this generation, the 720 and PS4 might end up selling 50 million each, basically sales are likely to fall.

It's sort of like Sony and Microsoft are working together but indirectly, they both understand making porting so cheap and easy it's practically trivial benefits them and it benefits the entire industry. Then Valve come along and say "hey let's get our x86 OpenGL Unix box out there" around the same time as another x86 OpenGL Unix box with a remarkably similar architecture is coming out, I think Valve knew something we didn't.

Either way they expect console sales to fall but they are fine with that, they think they can still make plenty of money by better catering to developers and core gamers, they want to be the big boys of gaming and let smartphones and tablets do their own thing. The guys on the PC are in on the party and they are diversifying things to reach other markets. This is all preparation for a changing industry and you have to take your hat off to the parties involved for having vision.

What it means for PC gamers:

This carries big repercussions for PC gamers. I mean for one any developer developing for a 720 or a PS4 for any period of time can do the same for a PC. We still have different configurations but that is really quite trivial compared to the current hurdle. Console gamers are going to have a lot of fun but PC gamers are going to go through even more rapid changes.

For one consider that at the moment the 360 and PS3 are "base platforms". In other words they are the weakest platforms the games run on. Now if in a couple of years the new "base platform" is running Battlefield 3 on high with most settings maxed and 1080P60 then what will a mid range PC be doing? Furthermore it may be a matter of time before 120Hz monitors become more common and 3840x2160 monitors appear. It's only a matter of time before you can max out anything at 1080P with a single slot GPU and run most games at 2560x1600 with a future equivalent of a 7850. You can already do that with most games but then consider graphics will be getting an uptick with a new generation of consoles so it'll be a couple of years till we get to that point. We seem to be concluding towards a point whereas a 1080P monitor is relatively low end and a 1440P monitor is mid-range.

Lastly one big downside of this generation was that the current consoles were stuck with DirectX9 while PC's eventually moved on to DX11. With all consoles having DX11 like functions we should see better ports on the PC. They could have low levels of tessellation running on the consoles and very high levels running on the PC. Basically games should scale better this coming generation to tide over those of us with very high end set ups. Priority for console versions probably won't disappear and there will still be issues but they should be much smaller issues and with less time spent on complex re-coding we should get more time spent on improving other aspects. The next generation is likely to be better than the current for PC gamers.

Hal-9000
02-04-2013, 05:45 PM
all that plus PC's are running 38 different processes in the background besides the game...

a console to me is like a videocard, some ram and a processor only creating one signal...PC's of course are multi process machines

Leefro
02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I got fat fucking fingers

redred
05-03-2013, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bf38HiYPMiI

trevor looks fun:lol:

redred
09-09-2013, 08:33 PM
8 days to go :woot:

redred
09-13-2013, 11:38 AM
pre ordered :woot:

Hal-9000
09-14-2013, 06:14 PM
I guess I could probably download this through Steam?

funny, I used to be old school and always buy the dvd to install...now I'm lazy and use a credit card and Steam

redred
09-16-2013, 04:15 PM
tomorrow :woot:

redred
09-17-2013, 09:49 AM
:facepalm: explain to me why i pre ordered this game ? i've just gone to the supermarket for milk and theres loads on the shelf , i'm still waiting for the postman :lol:

redred
09-17-2013, 12:33 PM
The postie is taking the piss now :lol:

redred
09-17-2013, 02:02 PM
landed at 1440 pm then has to load 8.5gb of stuff on to the ps3 ffs it's taking a long time :lol:

Hal-9000
09-17-2013, 05:37 PM
:facepalm: explain to me why i pre ordered this game ? i've just gone to the supermarket for milk and theres loads on the shelf , i'm still waiting for the postman :lol:

I have a Best Buy 7 minutes from my house...I can see it up on the hill over there...

I order stuff online and get it delivered by Canada Post within 2 days :lol:

when Black Ops 2 came out people were lined up all night before it sold...I went online and had it delivered in 1.5 days

Noilly Pratt
09-18-2013, 03:58 PM
..but are you this excited?

http://s.fishki.net/upload/post/201309/18/1207208/gallery/06.gif

redred
09-18-2013, 04:16 PM
until i had to load it onto ps3 yes ,then i went and read the paper for a bit :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-18-2013, 06:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uFXDSQm.png

Noilly Pratt
09-18-2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPYmvOOVclQ

Yt Trash
09-18-2013, 11:35 PM
I haven't played it yet. my son's been hogging it. By the time he's done, i'm wrapped up in a movie I don't want to play it. So I'll probably play this weekend.

Hal-9000
09-19-2013, 03:16 PM
won't be out for PC for months

:sad2:

guy at work is playing on the PS3...he got to be Chop the dog, complete with doggie-cam :lol:

redred
09-19-2013, 03:22 PM
and multi player is almost ready to go live :woot:

redred
10-02-2013, 04:01 PM
online was turned on yesterday :woot: no one can get online because of server overload :sad2:

Rockstar :fail:

redred
10-03-2013, 03:44 PM
why fucking hype up online play ,watch the money role in from pre sales alone ,watch the game get released see it break all kinds of box office sales records ,tell everyone an online start date then wonder if that one dusty server in the corner of the office will cope :rant::rant: ffs rockstar you knew how big this game was going to be should have been sorted out a long time ago:meh::meh::meh:

Noilly Pratt
10-03-2013, 06:38 PM
There's one kid in my daughter's school who's going on and on about playing GTA V to her (I think in a misguided attempt to impress her) - trouble is, she and this kid are 10, and in Grade 5!

After his 10 minute rant of how cool the game is, my daughter says to him "Sounds like you're learning really valuable life skills - how to steal cars and aeroplanes!"

redred
10-03-2013, 07:00 PM
:lol: very true

Hal-9000
10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Red they advertised a PC release date (Rockstar is infamous for release PC versions YEARS later) and it was supposed to come out this October....

turns out it was BS..

The system specs were Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of ram, Nvidia 200 vidcard or better and XP or Windows 7...

not quite :lol:

redred
10-04-2013, 06:35 PM
i got online :woot:

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 07:02 PM
i got online :woot:

are you standing on an open road with no one around for miles? :lol:

redred
10-04-2013, 07:24 PM
I was :lol: then worked out that it was only me so moved games and found people

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I ran into that playing the old game Battlefield 1942...servers were created by users and listed by name.

So me and a pal log into this server and there's only one guy on whole map. He 'camped' by the spawning points and killed anyone immediately as soon as they appeared :lol:

after the first 5 times or so that we were assassinated, we sent him hundreds of text messages flaming him and then he shut down the server

redred
10-04-2013, 10:18 PM
tbh i wasn't that mad it's only a game ffs ,but they knew it was going to be a biggie so sort the servers out

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Hey, try it from my point of view. I don't have consoles so I hear about a great GTA game ( vice city, liberty city, san andreas, gta4 ) and Rockstar averages 16 months from the time it hits a console, to coming out on the pc

redred
10-04-2013, 10:29 PM
poor you and your spec built gaming pc :lol:

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 10:34 PM
:lol: lick me....

the game is out on a console, so they have the code.....why the hell do I have to wait 2 years to play the same game ffs?

oh yeah, lick me :lol:

redred
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
because you boys complain more than us ps3/xbox boys about the small things

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I think a delay of 16 months for the EXACT SAME piece of software warrants a whine :lol:

and lick me you GTA5 playin bastid :x

redred
10-04-2013, 10:49 PM
oh it's good ,the only stuff i buy is rockstar ,last game was red dead ,them boys know how to do a good map

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I've played 637 hours of Skyrim

that's good software if you ask me :lol: much like GTA games...soooooo much to do at so little a price :tup:

redred
10-04-2013, 10:54 PM
skyrim scared me :lol: too much time

Hal-9000
10-04-2013, 11:02 PM
I've played 3 times....and still haven't tried 75% of the character types :lol:

I always end up being an archer/fighter

redred
10-04-2013, 11:13 PM
gta 5 online ,pick grand parents ,fuck that guess i'm black at leaste i'm online who gives a fuck :lol:

Goofy
12-29-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm up to 12% complete now :woot: This game is so fucking awesome :lol:

redred
12-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Online is best :tup:

Goofy
12-29-2015, 09:05 PM
I'll go online after i've completed all the missions and i'm actually semi-decent at it :lol:

redred
12-30-2015, 08:50 AM
you'll be a noob all again as soon as you go online :lol:

Goofy
12-30-2015, 11:04 AM
you'll be a noob all again as soon as you go online :lol:

Precisely :lol: Over 20% done now :ok:

Hugh_Janus
12-30-2015, 10:38 PM
I'll go online after i've completed all the missions and i'm actually semi-decent at it :lol:

I'd finish the story first because once you go online, you won't go back to story mode.

Which console do you have? Because one of the last times I went online, I had a lamp post sticking out of me and someone was just blowing everything up in the lobby.... fuckin modders :lol:

Goofy
12-30-2015, 10:44 PM
:lol:

Went with the xbox one, my workmate has tonnes of games for it so told me to go with that. Wishing at times id got the ps4 since i keep pressing the wrong fucking buttons :lol: X should be bottom centre not A :x

Hugh_Janus
12-30-2015, 11:16 PM
you'll learn to like it.... and admit it, the controller is so much better to hold compared to the gaystation one :dance:

Goofy
12-31-2015, 12:22 AM
It is actually comfy as fuck tbf :ok:

Goofy
01-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Completed story mode :(

Goofy
01-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Just started online :face: Am i gonna need a headset? :-k

redred
01-03-2016, 05:32 PM
I don't use one and have done heists plus rally racing

Hugh_Janus
01-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Just started online :face: Am i gonna need a headset? :-k

not really, but they are handy for the heists.

what you will need though are some skills because you will get rekt :lol:

Goofy
01-04-2016, 12:39 AM
what you will need though are some skills because you will get rekt :lol:

Yep :lol: Just played a deathmatch, mustve died about 8 times and only managed 2 kills........ and i died during those 2 kills :mrgreen:

Goofy
01-04-2016, 12:52 AM
Just played 2v2, my partner was fucking awesome :shock: We won 15-3 and he never died once :lol: I got 6 kills too :woot:

Goofy
01-04-2016, 04:14 PM
I just got 17 kills and no deaths in a deathmatch :dance: Sure is easy when you're sitting in a tank :mrgreen:

Goofy
01-04-2016, 04:25 PM
I think i'm an addict :sad2:

redred
01-04-2016, 06:44 PM
come back when your rank up to 318 online :lol:

Goofy
01-04-2016, 07:01 PM

Is that what you're at? :shock: Jesus fuck, you mustve put some hours in, i'm at 8 i think :lol:

Some wanker blew up my car earlier while i was buying a mask from the shop down at the beach, just heard a big explosion then when i looked for my car it was totaled........ cunts :lol:

redred
01-04-2016, 07:08 PM
been playing since it went live , even got a car you won't be able to get
http://i.imgur.com/LaAdkpc.jpg

came out only for the feb 2014 download

Goofy
01-04-2016, 07:17 PM
:sad2:

redred
01-04-2016, 07:19 PM
it's not a bad car either and rare , but you have all the new gen stuff :sad2:

Goofy
01-04-2016, 07:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7NafNQI.png

I wonder where you buy that from :-k

Goofy
01-04-2016, 07:28 PM
it's not a bad car either and rare , but you have all the new gen stuff :sad2:

:dance:

I have no idea wtf you're talking about :lol: New gen stuff?

redred
01-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Xbox one ps4

Hugh_Janus
01-04-2016, 08:25 PM
I think i'm an addict :sad2:
join the club... though I haven't played it for months #coldturkey

:shock: I thought I was bad being level 20X :lol:

Is that what you're at? :shock: Jesus fuck, you mustve put some hours in, i'm at 8 i think :lol:

Some wanker blew up my car earlier while i was buying a mask from the shop down at the beach, just heard a big explosion then when i looked for my car it was totaled........ cunts :lol:
I'll tell you what is fun, having a hearse (rare as fuck and impossible to spawn unless you'r in a hearse at 2 specific locations or a modder), buying an ignition bomb in los santos customs and leave ot outside lsc in the middle of the map.... someone ALWAYS falls for it :lol:

been playing since it went live , even got a car you won't be able to get
http://i.imgur.com/LaAdkpc.jpg

came out only for the feb 2014 download
I've got that and it is my favourite car unless I have a bounty on me, or I'm bounty hunting

http://i.imgur.com/7NafNQI.png

I wonder where you buy that from :-k
looks like the new gen has modders too