PDA

View Full Version : Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/15/article-2233221-16096611000005DC-609_634x381.jpg

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

'I think it's a terrible thing. It's ridiculous that the maximum hours we can give people is 28 hours a week instead of 40,' said Metz to the Huffington Post.
'It's going to force my employees to go out and get a second job.'

Obamacare requires businesses or franchises with more than 50 workers must offer an approved insurance plan or pay a penalty of $2,000 for each full-time worker over 30 workers.

The program mandates that only employees working more than 30 hours a week are covered under their employers health insurance plan, chains like Olive Garden and Red Lobster are already considering reduced worker hours.

'Obviously, I'd love to cover all our employees under that insurance,' said Metz.
'But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175,000 per restaurant and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don't make $175,000 a year. I can't afford it.'

Several other restaurants including Papa John's, Apple Metro and Jimmy John's have announced plans to skirt Obamacare by reducing employees hours to make them part-time.

Indeed, Metz is adding the surcharge because he believes that eventually firms will be fined for not covering staff who complete over 30-hours in a week,
In November, a poll for Kaiser Health Tracking found that 43 percent of the United States had a favourable opinion of Obamcare, while 39-percent had an unfavourable one.

'Instead of indirectly charging customers by raising prices, he is directly charging and making a political statement,' said Paul Fronstin, director of the health research program at the Employee Benefit Research Institute in Washington.

'Potentially 43 percent of this person's customers may find the explicit charge a turnoff, and vote with their feet and their money and choose not to eat there.'
Despite this, Metz has admitted he is willing to take the heat should the decision backfire on him.

'We're trying to get more restaurant operators rallied around the concept of adding a 5 percent surcharge to their bill to cover the costs of Obamacare as opposed to raising prices,' he said.

Earlier this week Papa John's CEO John Schnatter told shareholders in a conference call this week that Obamacare would cost the company 11 to 14 cents per pizza, a cost that would be passed on to customers.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
But we get free healthcare :cheers:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Free is a funny word to use

FBD
11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I baulked all over my keyboard :dance:

actually I think every company should do this. because fck yall, costs are borne by the consumer and people need to fkn realize that.

Goofy
11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
But we get free healthcare :cheers:

:woot:

Wait, no you don't, you have a job :nono:

FBD
11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Free is a funny word to use

http://techredible.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/You-keep-using-that-word1-300x252.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Bwhahaha perfect

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
:woot:

Wait, no you don't, you have a job :nono:

:sad2:

Muddy
11-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Dennys can go stick it up their ass.

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
It's not like they could take a small cut out of executive pay and bonuses or anything like that... :rofl::rofl:

Muddy
11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
It's not like they could take a small cut out of executive pay and bonuses or anything like that... :rofl::rofl:

That would be Un-American...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Dennys can go stick it up their ass.

http://i.imgur.com/bS2vs.jpg

Grand Slam Motherfucker :x

Muddy
11-15-2012, 06:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bS2vs.jpg

Grand Slam Motherfucker :x

Im not a fan.. That place is unclean..

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 06:52 PM

'Obviously, I'd love to cover all our employees under that insurance,' said Metz.
'But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175,000 per restaurant and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don't make $175,000 a year. I can't afford it.'

These are individually owned I believe

perrhaps
11-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Except then those rich folk will be paying less taxes, won't they?

Muddy
11-15-2012, 07:02 PM
If my taxes go up, I'm whipping Hals ass..

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 07:03 PM
A lot of them already employ devious methods to lower their tax. We're slowly weeding them out over here in the UK and I hope you guys get them over there too.:cheerlead:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 07:03 PM
They are going up did you see the story Lance posted the other day

Teh One Who Knocks
11-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Im not a fan.. That place is unclean..

Maybe the one you go to is, but I have never had a problem at Denny's

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I have one by my house that is constantly under new management, sometimes I go and thew food is good, the next month the same food but shitty.

Muddy
11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Maybe the one you go to is, but I have never had a problem at Denny's

I swear to you.. I went in one day and was sitting next to a window and I looked over and I saw a bullet hole in the glass... That was my last time at Dennys. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Thats because you live in a ghetto

Leefro
11-15-2012, 07:16 PM
A lot of them already employ devious methods to lower their tax. We're slowly weeding them out over here in the UK and I hope you guys get them over there too.:cheerlead:

We are naming and shaming them but doing nothing about it

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Looks like someone decided to throw out a liberal talking point instead of actually reading the article.

FBD
11-15-2012, 07:47 PM
I have one by my house that is constantly under new management, sometimes I go and thew food is good, the next month the same food but shitty.
that's because it was from the same lot of food purchased :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 07:48 PM
:lol:

Leefro
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I went to one of my local indian takeaways a while back and I had some bad food from their and it was closed down by the health inspectors because they were alleged to be fixing cars in the back while preparing food

A few months later a big sign was on the window saying under new management so I thought I would give it a bash

After ordering it and paying then waiting for it to be brought out the fella that brought my food out was the same fucker that served me when it was closed fucking down

FBD
11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
did he have grease on his hands? :lol:

Leefro
11-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Black on Black

I did not notice if I'm honest ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-15-2012, 08:18 PM

FBD
11-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I went to one of my local indian takeaways a while back and I had some bad food from their and it was closed down by the health inspectors because they were alleged to be fixing cars in the back while preparing food

A few months later a big sign was on the window saying under new management so I thought I would give it a bash

After ordering it and paying then waiting for it to be brought out the fella that brought my food out was the same fucker that served me when it was closed fucking down

So the manager delivered the food to your table?

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Looks like someone decided to throw out a liberal talking point instead of actually reading the article.
Looks like someone decided to say that someone else hadn't read the article when they had. So some say... :cheerlead:

Acid Trip
11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Looks like someone decided to say that someone else hadn't read the article when they had. So some say... :cheerlead:

Then you should have read this.

"'Obviously, I'd love to cover all our employees under that insurance,' said Metz. 'But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175,000 per restaurant and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don't make $175,000 a year. I can't afford it.'"

So you would prefer each store become insolvent (costs > revenue = insolvency) and put the entire staff out of a job. Brilliant! :tup:

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 10:58 PM
That's just the store owner not the Denny's executives chilling out at HQ. They aren't even willing to cover the health insurance of the very same employees who are making them rich, leaving it down to the poor franchisee puppet to find a way to cover the costs so that they can still receive their bonuses.

Capitalism, hell yeah :cheerlead:

Lambchop
11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Do they serve a McBonus with fries over there btw?

Leefro
11-15-2012, 11:37 PM
So the manager delivered the food to your table?

It was a take away