PDA

View Full Version : Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

PorkChopSandwiches
11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zpS6Q.jpg

A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.

CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.
Revised bill highlights

✭ Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.

✭ Permits state and local law enforcement to warrantlessly access Americans' correspondence stored on systems not offered "to the public," including university networks.

✭ Authorizes any law enforcement agency to access accounts without a warrant -- or subsequent court review -- if they claim "emergency" situations exist.

✭ Says providers "shall notify" law enforcement in advance of any plans to tell their customers that they've been the target of a warrant, order, or subpoena.

✭ Delays notification of customers whose accounts have been accessed from 3 days to "10 business days." This notification can be postponed by up to 360 days.

Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge.

It's an abrupt departure from Leahy's earlier approach, which required police to obtain a search warrant backed by probable cause before they could read the contents of e-mail or other communications. The Vermont Democrat boasted last year that his bill "provides enhanced privacy protections for American consumers by... requiring that the government obtain a search warrant."

Leahy had planned a vote on an earlier version of his bill, designed to update a pair of 1980s-vintage surveillance laws, in late September. But after law enforcement groups including the National District Attorneys' Association and the National Sheriffs' Association organizations objected to the legislation and asked him to "reconsider acting" on it, Leahy pushed back the vote and reworked the bill as a package of amendments to be offered next Thursday. The package (PDF) is a substitute for H.R. 2471, which the House of Representatives already has approved.

One person participating in Capitol Hill meetings on this topic told CNET that Justice Department officials have expressed their displeasure about Leahy's original bill. The department is on record as opposing any such requirement: James Baker, the associate deputy attorney general, has publicly warned that requiring a warrant to obtain stored e-mail could have an "adverse impact" on criminal investigations.

Marc Rotenberg, head of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said that in light of the revelations about how former CIA director David Petraeus' e-mail was perused by the FBI, "even the Department of Justice should concede that there's a need for more judicial oversight," not less.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2012, 05:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/evrlb.jpg

Lambchop
11-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Use the Al-Qaeda method of saving the e-mail in the draft folder and letting the recipient know your account details. :cheerlead:

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2012, 05:16 PM
:|

Acid Trip
11-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Our government considers us all terrorists and dissidents. Elected politicians are the new monarchs. They must keep us in line or forever lose their power.

Don't worry though, it's just the government protecting us from ourselves and each other :roll:

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2012, 05:45 PM
:-s

I guess we should contact our senators and representatives, then?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2012, 05:46 PM

:lmao: :rofl:

Oh, you were serious? :-k

Sure, write to them if you haven't received any form letters in the mail recently :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Dont email them though

Muddy
11-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Im going to write a letter to Jay-Z and see if he'll give me Obamas phone number.

FBD
11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
what the fuckin fuck, do I have to completely stop using the internet?

everyone who signs this bill is a traitor to the USA.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I have switched to smoke signals

FBD
11-20-2012, 07:44 PM

...and get a pre-canned reply from them telling you how they've intensely scrutinized both sides of the issue, thanks for your concern, but their mind is already made up and your so called privacy is about to be ass raped once again by your friendly neighborhood government.

FBD
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Let me know when the revolution really starts, I'm in.

RBP
11-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I have switched to smoke signals

http://i.imgur.com/w7Guj.jpg

Acid Trip
11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I have switched to weed smoke signals

Fixed.

Acid Trip
11-20-2012, 08:03 PM
...and get a pre-canned reply from them telling you how they've intensely scrutinized both sides of the issue, thanks for your concern, but their mind is already made up and your so called privacy is about to be ass raped once again by your friendly neighborhood government.

If my Rep/Senator reply included the words "ass rape" in an email I would vote for them again.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-20-2012, 08:05 PM
:tup:

FBD
11-20-2012, 08:09 PM
yeah then at least they'd be honest about what the function of government is with respect to its citizens

PorkChopSandwiches
11-20-2012, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqGbA2tLww

RBP
11-20-2012, 09:11 PM
I am trying to understand the rationale. This affect "private" networks only, so no gmail, ymail etc. What are they getting at?

Pony
11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Leahy scuttles his warrantless e-mail surveillance bill (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57552687-38/leahy-scuttles-his-warrantless-e-mail-surveillance-bill/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title)

Sen. Patrick Leahy has abandoned his controversial proposal that would grant government agencies more surveillance power -- including warrantless access to Americans' e-mail accounts -- than they possess under current law.

The Vermont Democrat said today on Twitter that he would "not support such an exception" for warrantless access. The remarks came a few hours after a CNET article this morning that disclosed the existence of the measure.

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Maybe he got a few emails.

:lol:

Muddy
11-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Maybe it was us?

Richard Cranium
11-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Leahy is not a Democrat, he is a straight up, out of the closet communist..