PDA

View Full Version : Outrage after woman flashes middle finger at Arlington National Cemetery and posts photo to Facebook to brag about it

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
By Leslie Larson - The Daily Mail

http://i.imgur.com/2TFxN.jpg

A photo of a Massachusetts woman flashing her middle finger at Arlington National Cemetery has sparked widespread disgust across the web and prompted an online petition to get the woman fired from her job.

Lindsey Stone posted the picture of herself making the obscene gesture at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, next to a sign at the military cemetery that asks for 'Silence and Respect,' in October and the snapshot quickly went viral.

An unidentified Facebook user created a page called 'Fire Lindsey Stone' on Monday, alerting her employer to the outrageous behavior and garnering support to get the woman sacked for her disrespect.

Stone, who lives in Cape Cod, visited the sacred military cemetery in Arlington, Virginia in October on an outing with the non-profit organization where she works, LIFE organization.

LIFE, stands for Living Independently Forever, and is a community for adults with disabilities.

Stone was among eight staff members that traveled with the group of 40 residents to the nation's capital for this trip. Photos from the organization's Facebook page show residents touring the White House and the Washington Monument on October 20.

At the military remembrance site, she posed for the offensive picture, that was taken by a coworker, and she herself uploaded the snap to her own Facebook page.

But it soon went viral and Facebook users were shocked to see the pose at a place meant to honor fallen heroes.

Soon a page was started to alert the wider web of Stone's action.

An unknown Facebook user, who is believed to be a veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, created a page on the social networking site entitled, 'Fire Lindsey Stone.'

The page, with the stated intent to 'only accept termination,' was started on Monday and has quickly garnered over 6,000 Likes.

After the massive response, Stone's employer said in a statement on Tuesday that they were only made aware of the shocking post on November 19.

'The photo has since been removed from Facebook, and both employees have been placed on unpaid leave pending the results of an internal investigation,' according to a statement.

'This photograph in no way reflects the opinions or values of the LIFE organization, which holds our nation’s veterans in the highest regard. We are proud to have veterans serving on our staff and board of trustees, and we value their service'

'The men and women who have selflessly fought and sacrificed their lives to protect the rights and lives of Americans deserve our utmost respect and gratitude.'

'We are acutely aware that this photo has done a disservice to veterans and we are deeply saddened that it was taken and shared in a public medium,' the statement added.

Stone's father, Peter, told WCVB-TV that his daughter is very sorry that she posed for the picture.

'Lindsey called and told me how full of regret she was that this all went down, it was just a spur of the moment total lapse of judgment. She's very sorry that she offended anybody,' Peter Stone told the local news station.

'She wasn't reacting to the place, she was reacting to the sign and she apologizes to everybody.'

deebakes
11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
what a fucking idiot... she must be retarded so i think firing is an okay option for her :-k

RBP
11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Meh. she was making fun of a sign. relax people.

deebakes
11-21-2012, 02:48 PM
no, she was being a fucking moron when on company dollars. disrespecting on your penny is one thing, but to be paid to be there and do this is a fireable offense imo...

RBP
11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
unclench your cheeks homeslice ;)

deebakes
11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
she is representing her company on the outing... it makes her group look horrible. i am all for personal freedom, but seriously it does not apply in this instance imo...

deebakes
11-21-2012, 02:54 PM
and just because you hate veterans that have served for our country doesn't mean that i am uptight :lol:

RBP
11-21-2012, 02:55 PM
and just because you hate veterans that have served for our country doesn't mean that i am uptight :lol:

Baby killers! :x

deebakes
11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
if it was a guy making the finger at the sign, i bet you would feel the exact same way i do :lol:

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:01 PM
if it was a guy making the finger at the sign, i bet you would feel the exact same way i do :lol:

Glad you agree that it was making fun of a sign not flipping off dead veterans :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Glad you agree that it was making fun of a sign not flipping off dead veterans :tup:

You don't know that, you don't know what her real intent was at the time. She claims it was only at the sign now only because she was stupid enough to be an attention whore about it and started a shit storm over it.

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:04 PM
that's besides the point rbp... i think you need a nap, then go back to the beginning :lol:

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:05 PM
You don't know that, you don't know what her real intent was at the time. She claims it was only at the sign now only because she was stupid enough to be an attention whore about it and started a shit storm over it.

and was being paid to do it by an organization that likely doesn't approve of her actions...

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:08 PM

Women don't lie :hand:

that's besides the point rbp... i think you need a nap, then go back to the beginning :lol:

Napping helps everything! And it's not beside the point... if it wasn't Arlington nobody would make a fuss.

and was being paid to do it by an organization that likely doesn't approve of her actions...

They said they don't and suspended her.... :dunno:

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
and hopefully fire in the next few days :dance::cheerlead:

Acid Trip
11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
What a dumb cunt.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2012, 03:10 PM
What a dumb cunt.

:qft:

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Women don't lie :hand:

except when raping their students :roll:

if it wasn't Arlington nobody would make a fuss.

not so sure about your conclusion on this one homey... it doesn't really make a difference where she was imo...

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:13 PM
except when raping their students :roll:

not so sure about your conclusion on this one homey... it doesn't really make a difference where she was imo...

I was being sarcastic :|

And yes it does... you think that if that was a sign at a botanical garden that anyone would give a shit?

Acid Trip
11-21-2012, 03:14 PM
I was being sarcastic :|

And yes it does... you think that if that was a sign at a botanical garden that anyone would give a shit?

Botanical garden no, but any cemetery in the country (not necessarily Arlington), yes.

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:15 PM
if she was being paid by the company, then yes :tup:

you're capable of sarcasm? i never knew :oops:

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Man there are some tight buttholes here today.

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:17 PM
mines the tightest :tup:

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
mines the tightest :tup:

best offer I've had all month. :oops:

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:20 PM
i thought you had a ho-lodex that you could use in times like these? :-k

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:20 PM
i thought you had a ho-lodex that you could use in times like these? :-k

I haven't gotten paid yet. :sad2:

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:23 PM
maybe you should start hooking? :idk:

MrsM
11-21-2012, 03:25 PM

or pimping

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:26 PM

I get enough dick... I need some pussy. :lol:

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
rbp is too sensitive to pimp :lol:

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:27 PM
or pimping

Now you're talking! Pimpin ain't easy!

deebakes
I get enough dick... I need some pussy. :lol:

i guess i meant to you say, maybe you should start gigolo-ing? :idk:

RBP
rbp is too sensitive to pimp :lol:

Bitches ain't gonna slap demselves!

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I think someone should find where this woman's mother (or father or grandparent or any deceased family member she cares about is buried) and do the same thing in front of the gravestone and post it to Facebook.

deebakes
11-21-2012, 03:30 PM
don't stoop to this chicks level lance...

although that would be quite the statement :lol:

RBP
11-21-2012, 03:34 PM
I think someone should find where this woman's mother (or father or grandparent or any deceased family member she cares about is buried) and do the same thing in front of the gravestone and post it to Facebook.

http://i.imgur.com/yKHZd.jpg

Acid Trip
11-21-2012, 03:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yKHZd.jpg

:wtf: Hahahahahaha!

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2012, 03:38 PM
My free speech right :hand:

Noilly Pratt
11-21-2012, 04:04 PM
This sort of thing makes you long for the days when there was no facebook, no internet etc. We were all blissfully unaware how stupid people can be.

Now not only can you do stupid things, you can post the stupid thing to facebook and invite public critique. Now that's a special kind of stupid... :D

deebakes
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
:pancake:

Acid Trip
11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
This sort of thing makes you long for the days when there was no facebook, no internet etc. We were all blissfully unaware how stupid people can be.

Now not only can you do stupid things, you can post the stupid thing to facebook and invite public critique. Now that's a special kind of stupid... :D

Ignorance is bliss after all.

Hal-9000
11-21-2012, 05:42 PM

That what I was thinking about social media/easy uploading.....it's like people need to show how belligerent and 'cool' they can be.

I think this person is a fuckwad and deliberately disrespecting the cemetery of veterans. She deserves all the embarrassment we can pile onto her. She wasn't disrespecting the sign, she was disrespecting everyone interred there.

DemonGeminiX
11-21-2012, 06:58 PM
This is a fuckin' disgrace. They should put her ass on every tv station in the nation and make her apologize to the entire nation. Have a local soldier tear her down verbally for everyone to see before she apologizes.

RBP
11-21-2012, 11:55 PM
:roll:

DemonGeminiX
11-21-2012, 11:56 PM
:slap:

RBP
11-21-2012, 11:57 PM
:dunno:

She made a joke about a sign... a stupid one, but in the end it was a joke about a sign.

DemonGeminiX
11-21-2012, 11:58 PM
She disrespected a national monument. She's an ass and she should be shot.

RBP
11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
The one they call Chef is wound too tight for Vietnam...probably wound too tight for New Orleans

DemonGeminiX
11-22-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm sorry you feel that this is insignificant, but when you come from a family that has a long history of serving our country, things like this tend to have a greater meaning to you. You don't act like an ass in a cemetery anywhere, and you definitely don't act like an ass in Arlington. The people buried there gave their lives for our freedoms. They deserve the respect of the nation. Fuck this bitch. Like others have said, she's an attention whore, and when you're at Arlington, the attention shouldn't be on any one individual still living and never served.

lost in melb.
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Meh. she was making fun of a sign. relax people.

yup

RBP
11-22-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm sorry you feel that this is insignificant, but when you come from a family that has a long history of serving our country, things like this tend to have a greater meaning to you. You don't act like an ass in a cemetery anywhere, and you definitely don't act like an ass in Arlington. The people buried there gave their lives for our freedoms. They deserve the respect of the nation. Fuck this bitch. Like others have said, she's an attention whore, and when you're at Arlington, the attention shouldn't be on any one individual still living and never served.

Just because you see the act differently doesn't make you more patriotic or care more about veterans issues. :roll:

deebakes
11-22-2012, 12:18 AM
common sense sure is hard to find nowadays :shrug:

RBP
11-22-2012, 12:19 AM
common sense sure is hard to find nowadays :shrug:

I never said she wasn't a moron.

deebakes
11-22-2012, 12:21 AM
i guess you are right, she also lacks common sense :-k

:razz:

deebakes
11-22-2012, 12:22 AM
oooh... 10K posts :dance:

RBP
11-22-2012, 12:22 AM
i guess you are right, she also lacks common sense :-k

:razz:

:-s

:slap:

deebakes
11-22-2012, 12:24 AM
:dance::cheerlead:

lost in melb.
11-22-2012, 01:32 AM
I don't think I'm privvy to the congrats threads - so congrats Deebakes!!!

Griffin
11-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Observing the changing of the guards is a very humbling experience.
To witness the dedication of the young sentinels who tirelessly walk the mat watching over the graves of our fallen soldiers will leave you speechless...

RBP
11-22-2012, 01:36 AM
I haven't seen congrats threads here either...

lost in melb.
11-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Oh ok, It was just an assumption RBP. My bad..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Lindsey Stone, 30, was fired for the controversial photo, but critics won't relent. A 'Set Fire to Lindsey Stone' Facebook group was created, where users called for the 30-year-old to be shot or exiled.
By Rheana Murray / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

A Massachusetts company is being applauded for firing a woman who made a vulgar gesture next to a soldier’s burial site, sparking nationwide outrage.

LIFE, a Cape Cod-based nonprofit that helps adults with disabilities, announced on Wednesday that 30-year-old Lindsey Stone was taken off unpaid leave and terminated.

Nearly 4,000 people “liked” the announcement on Facebook.

“This was the right thing to do,” one commenter wrote.

“Good for LIFE,” wrote another. “At least they care about their reputation and how employees handle themselves.”

Stone was slammed for posting a Facebook photo of herself giving the middle finger and pretending to scream next to a sign asking for “Silence & Respect,” at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider at Arlington National Cemetery.

A coworker who took the viral snapshot was also fired, LIFE said.

“Again, we deeply regret any disrespect to members of the military and their families,” the company said in a statement. “The incident and publicity have been very upsetting to the learning disabled population we serve.”

Vitriol toward Stone hasn’t relented since she lost her job.

After a “Fire Lindsey Stone” Facebook group was started, a “Set Fire to Lindsey Stone” group was also created.

Commenters suggested “she should be shot” or exiled from the United States.

Few came to Stone’s defense and accepted her explanation that the photo — while inappropriate — was simply a poor joke.

Stone, who issued a statement of apology, has refused to show her face since the backlash, her parents told CBS Boston.

RBP
11-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Not good enough. Public stoning!

Acid Trip
11-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Not good enough. Public stoning!

Don't give those Facebook idiots anymore ideas!

deebakes
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
i am now satisfied [/thread]