PDA

View Full Version : This Grandma's Thanksgiving Rules Are Awesomely Harsh

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2012, 01:52 PM
By Eric Larson | Mashable

http://i.imgur.com/kJ6GS.jpg

Helen Philpot is not dead yet (she wants to make sure you know that). Far from it. To the blogging octogenarian, Thanksgiving is still an important tradition -- and, as far as she's concerned, there's a certain set of rules to doing it right. So if you're still interested in being included in the family will, you best be on time, keep the politics talk to a hush and leave your cell phones at the door with your vegetarian friends. And don't even think about bringing Jell-O salad.

Philpot, who authors the Margaret and Helen blog with her "best friend for 60 years," posted a hilarious -- and apparently, sincere -- set of rules for Thursday's meal. It's classic sass, with just the right amount of mean.

Here are a few of our favorites:

"I cook with bacon and bacon grease. That’s nothing new. Your being a vegetarian doesn’t change the fact that stuffing without bacon is like egg salad without eggs. Even the green bean casserole has a little bacon grease in it. That’s why it tastes so good. Not eating bacon is just not natural. And as far as being healthy … look at me. I’ve outlived almost everyone I know."

"Being a mother means you have to actually pay attention to the kids. I have nice things and I don’t put them away just because company is coming over. Mary, watch your kids and I’ll watch my things."

"Cloe, last year we were at Trudy’s house and I looked the other way when your Jell-O salad showed up. This year, if Jell-O salad comes in the front door it will go right back out the back door with the garbage. Save yourself some time honey. You’ve never been a good cook and you shouldn’t bring something that wiggles more than you. Buy something from the HEB bakery."

"Rhonda, a cat that requires a shot twice a day is a cat that has lived too many lives. I think staying home to care for the cat is your way of letting me know that I have lived too many lives too. I can live with that. Can you?"

"Salad at Thanksgiving is a waste of space."

"Showing up for Thanksgiving guarantees presents at Christmas. Not showing up guarantees a card that may or may not be signed."

See the full set of rules here (http://margaretandhelen.com/2012/11/19/thanksgiving-letter-to-the-family-2012/). Does your family have any strict requirements for Thanksgiving? Do you think Helen's rules are the real deal or a bit of Internet trickery?

Muddy
11-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Love it.. :lol:

Especially the last part..

The election is over so I’ll watch what I say and you will do the same. If we all stick to that, we’ll have a good time. If not, I’ll still have a good time but it will be at your expense. In memory of your Grandfather, the back fridge will be filled with beer. Drink until it is gone. I prefer wine anyway. But one from each family needs to be the designated driver. I mean it really.

RBP
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Made me giggle.

Acid Trip
11-21-2012, 03:14 PM
"The University of Texas no longer plays Texas A&M. The television stays off during the meal."

They may not play but Dallas does. You'd think an 80 year old Texan would know that.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Cranky ol' coot

Hal-9000
11-22-2012, 07:18 PM
"...you shouldn’t bring something that wiggles more than you."

:lol:

KevinD
11-25-2012, 05:36 PM
"The University of Texas no longer plays Texas A&M. The television stays off during the meal."

They may not play but Dallas does. You'd think an 80 year old Texan would know that.

I'm sure she does. Not everyone from Texas is a Cowboys fan. Personally, I agree, I've never watched (at my house) the Boys on Thanksgiving. Did watch the Texans steal one thursday though, lol

Loser
11-25-2012, 07:58 PM
"Dominos and cards are better than anything that requires a battery or an on/off switch. That was true when you were kids and it’s true now that you have kids."

When I grew up, every thanksgiving and christmas, we played the shit out of pinochole, and it was a blast. Really miss it.

Southern Belle
11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Bless her heart.

Godfather
11-26-2012, 05:57 AM
If my grandmother had a grumpy bone in her body, she could have written this :lol: All the same... these are the principals she lived by. Love it.

Acid Trip
11-26-2012, 03:41 PM
"Dominos and cards are better than anything that requires a battery or an on/off switch. That was true when you were kids and it’s true now that you have kids."

When I grew up, every thanksgiving and christmas, we played the shit out of pinochole, and it was a blast. Really miss it.

We play Gin, Rummy, Hearts or Spades with one side of the family. The other side is addicted to Catch Phrase. My niece had the best Catch Phrase response I've ever seen about 10 minutes into the game.

Clue: Someone who can't take care of them self.
Answer: Democrats!

Her mom and dad were not pleased (hardcore Democrats). Guess who won't be babysitting his niece anytime soon? :lol: