View Full Version : Volt light it up, almost burns down house

FBD
04-15-2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.wfsb.com/news/27541598/detail.html

BARKHAMSTED, Conn. -- Fire officials suspect an electric hybrid car may have sparked an overnight blaze in a garage in Barkhamsted on Center Hill Road.

Homeowner Storm Connors and his wife, Dee, said they awoke to the sound of a smoke alarm around 4 a.m. The couple said they have lived in the home for nearly 40 years. They built it and raised their children there, so when the flames took over their attached garage Thursday morning, burning it down to its beams, the couple started to panic. They said they were worried they were going to lose their home and the memories inside.

"I walked outside and looked in the garage door and it was flaming," Dee Connors said. "I grabbed a pocketbook so I'd have a cellphone and a driver's license and a jacket and a pair of slacks. I had no shoes, my feet were freezing."

Within minutes of the 911 call reporting the fire, nearly 50 firefighters from surrounding communities headed to the scene.

The Connors family said that response and the fact there was a firewall built between the home and the garage saved their home.

After the fire was extinguished, the couple invited Eyewitness News into the home to see how effective the firewall was. Even the coats in a closet near the fire were unscathed -- not even blackened by smoke.

Now investigators with the state fire marshal's office and the couple's insurance company are looking into what exactly in the garage sparked the fire.

Officials said they can't rule out that the couple's brand new Chevy Volt hybrid had something to do with the blaze.

The fire is under investigation.

Acid Trip
04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Ruh roh raggy....

PorkChopSandwiches
04-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Save gas, burn your car down

Hal-9000
04-15-2011, 10:05 PM
the story implies much and proves nothing.....prolly little Jimmy smoking a reefer in the car

FBD
04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I was actually waiting for deep to point that one out :lol: This is far more an issue of shitty wiring in the house rather than the Volt itself, although some Volt issues may have contributed.

Pony
04-16-2011, 06:56 PM
I was actually waiting for deep to point that one out :lol: This is far more an issue of shitty wiring in the house rather than the Volt itself, although some Volt issues may have contributed.

I was gonna point it out as well, sounds like the news channel took some liberty on that one just to make the story interesting. They change "can't rule out" to "suspect an electric hybrid car may have".

They should have based the story entirely on the firewall protecting the family.

FBD
04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Or made it on "check out your wiring before introducing any new devices that may draw significantly more energy than what you already have"...a firewall is great, but if you have 1940s wiring in your house, its all over your house...

Hal-9000
04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
buddy of mine lives in a converted condo built in 1974 as low rent apartments originally....all of the wiring is aluminum

Acid Trip
04-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Or made it on "check out your wiring before introducing any new devices that may draw significantly more energy than what you already have"...a firewall is great, but if you have 1940s wiring in your house, its all over your house...

My house was built in 1940 and the guy who owned it prior to me was nice enough to replace all the electrical before selling :mrgreen:

FBD
04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
buddy of mine lives in a converted condo built in 1974 as low rent apartments originally....all of the wiring is aluminum

technically, nothing wrong with aluminum, you just have to make sure the connections you make to aluminum wiring are rated for it - if you just toss on plug receptacles that are only rated for copper, and plug your Volt in... :dance:

Hal-9000
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
technically, nothing wrong with aluminum, you just have to make sure the connections you make to aluminum wiring are rated for it - if you just toss on plug receptacles that are only rated for copper, and plug your Volt in... :dance:

This past year the condo association redid all of the exteriors and insulation ....some of them had mold, rotted wood.To the tune of 4 million bucks for the renos.(and they want 2 million more) My buddy is currently doing what you mentioned above, changing all of the outlets to copper rated receptacles.

FBD
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
you mean aluminum rated :D yeah, I had a few to take care of when I moved into my condo, I got aluminum wiring. the receptacle should have CO/ALR stamped on it.

Hal-9000
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
you mean aluminum rated :D yeah, I had a few to take care of when I moved into my condo, I got aluminum wiring. the receptacle should have CO/ALR stamped on it.

I really don't know...he has aluminum wiring and said that the receptacles somehow have some copper in them so they're more compatible...

houses and construction are not me :lol:

FBD
04-20-2011, 06:50 PM
:lol: I may be going a little overboard with semantics, but...you dont want ones that "just have copper in them" - the regular copper ones are just that, and they dont have a good efficiency in transmitting electricity as compared to the specifically CO/ALR ones - i.e. "inefficiency" means "heat." Not good. If he's replacing anything, he'd best be using the co/alr rated ones otherwise he's opening himself to potential issues.

just trying to be clear :lol: