PDA

View Full Version : NFL player Jovan Belcher kills girlfriend and self

redred
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Kansas City Chiefs American football player Jovan Belcher has killed himself outside the team's main stadium.

Police said the 25-year-old first-team linebacker shot his girlfriend dead a few miles away, before driving to a training facility at Arrowhead Stadium.

He then shot himself in the car park in front of team officials.

The club confirmed the incident in a statement, adding: "We are co-operating with authorities in their investigation."

Kansas City police spokesman Darin Snapp told AP news agency that authorities were told early on Saturday that a woman had been shot five miles away from the Arrowhead complex.

The victim was later identified as Belcher's girlfriend.

Police were then called to the training facility, where they saw the player in a car holding a handgun to his head, talking to two Chiefs officials.

They then heard a gunshot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20568348

RBP
12-01-2012, 07:59 PM
wow.

Loser
12-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Roid rage?

Not cracking a joke, seriously wondering.

deebakes
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
wow :shock:

Muddy
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Roid rage?

Hemroids are a bitch..

samarchepas
12-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Roid rage?

Looks like It was an argument had with his girlfriend and killed her and if that wasn't horrible enough, he commits suicide RIGHT IN FRONT of his GM and Coach...roids wouldn't be the same situation IMO. BTW how the hell can a coach prepare his team for tomorrow's when he must pretty much be traumatized right now (When someone kills himself right in front of you...There is NO WAY you can shake this off in a day and move on) A 3 month old girl is without parents because of his actions :(

Noilly Pratt
12-02-2012, 07:36 AM
You said it, Samarchepas...but then the one who's commiting suicide doesn't think of anyone but himself. Sad waste of a life.

samarchepas
12-02-2012, 08:28 AM
You said it, Samarchepas...but then the one who's commiting suicide doesn't think of anyone but himself. Sad waste of a life.

A classical case of "Oh fuck! What have I done?!"
He got mad and killed his girlfriend, found only one way out...the wrong one.

FBD
12-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Roid rage?

Alcoholism & pill rage. Oh I'm sure its the NOT long record of concussions. And of course its the gun's fault. Let's ban football and guns.

ps, FUCK YOU BOB COSTAS. Who apparently has never heard of knives, crossbows, or any other of the million friggin weapons that are in existence.

http://doubleplusundead.com/2012/12/03/an-open-letter-to-bob-costas-and-jason-whitlock/

Gentlemen: I see that you have chosen to use the horrific crime of the murder of Kasandra Perkins to express your belief that guns are the problem, not the men who wield them. I am utterly certain that you believe that you have the moral high ground on this matter. I am equally certain that such a belief is appallingly wrong, not to mention terribly misogynistic. Why do I say this? Because had your desires on gun control been in place, I would not be alive to be writing this now.

I have an Ex. I have an Ex who, in the process of becoming my Ex, made credible threats to kill me. Why did I believe these threats were credible? Because among the primary reasons why I left him were that he had anger control issues, that he was a problem drinker well on his way to full blown alcoholism and that the things he was throwing at me were getting ever closer to my head. I decided to leave before finally snapped and actually hit me. He was displeased by this and made such displeasure known.

Do you know what kept me safe? Not some piece of paper. Not a judge tut tutting at him and shaking his/her finger and telling him to leave me alone. Not the police, who, after all, would only be able to respond once he had caused me harm. No, what kept me safe was my Glock. What kept me safe was my Glock and the fact that he knew I had both the ability and the will to empty a clip into his chest if he made good on his statements that if I did not come back, I would not see the next week. He never tried to do any of the things he screamed he would because he knew that not only would I defend myself but that I could. My Ex was nearly a foot taller than me and, at the time, had about 150 pounds on me. If he had been able to get close enough to me to harm me, there were very few options I had to protect myself. But with my Glock, well, I would be able to stop him before he got that close. I am alive today because he knew that if he tried to make that otherwise, there was a better than even chance he would be the one lying there in a pool of blood instead of me.

You want to take that from me. You want me to be unable to defend myself. You want to leave me vulnerable to those out there who look at a five foot tall fat girl and think “victim”. You want me to be unable to protect myself when there is no one else around to do so. You want to make me dependent on others to provide for my basic safety and security.

Let us not beat around the bush, you want to sacrifice my life on the altar of your political beliefs. How dare you? Honestly, who do the two of you think you are to demand that my blood be shed so that you may preen about what wonderful people you are? Why, precisely, are you removing the responsibility for Kasandra Perkins’ murder from Jovan Belcher and placing it on an inanimate object? That is what you are doing, after all. Your position is that absent the gun, Jovan Belcher would not have murdered Kasandra Perkins. What utter rot. It’s not as if, to pick something at random, he could have picked up a knife and slit her throat so violently that she was nearly decapitated. Oh no, that would never ever happen. By focusing on the gun, you are choosing to make Jovan Belcher a mere bystander to his own actions. That is horrific. Jovan Belcher murdered Kasandra Perkins. He chose to pull that trigger. He chose to take her life. How dare you attempt to absolve him in even the slightest manner for that crime. He killed her. Not a gun. He did it. No one else.

I will not let you two demand that my blood be shed so that you can sit there and declaim your supposed superior morality to the world. No. You would rather I be dead. That is the logical conclusion of your positions. I will not die for you. No other woman should either.

Alive despite you,

Alexandria

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I believe that untethered people (with no kids, spouses) have the right to take their own lives...

Killing your wife/girlfriend/partner however is a horrible act and no one has THAT right...

the guy was obviously unhinged, too bad they had a little girl :(

DemonGeminiX
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Fuck Jason Whitlock and fuck Bob Costas.

FBD
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
And fuck CNN, too, are you fkn kidding me?

CNN Blames Culture of 'Manliness'

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/03/CNN-culture-of-manliness-Belcher

Now CNN is getting in on the act. Leading their website this afternoon is an op-ed from Kevin Powell, former Democratic Congressional candidate in New York, and cast member on MTV’s original season of “The Real World.” Powell’s contention: it’s America’s culture of manliness that led Belcher to blow away his girlfriend and then turn the gun on himself. That culture of manliness includes men hiding their emotion, machoness, and homophobia. Seriously.

He begins:

Since the killing and suicide are so fresh, so recent, we do not really know what might have driven Belcher to such extreme and horrific actions.

But the knee-jerk reactions have been rampant on the social networks. "Coward" is a term being used to describe Belcher. But that is too easy, far too simplistic, and name-calling never solves a problem.

Belcher was a man living in the supersized macho world of football, a world in which many of us American males reside, be it football or not. Too many of us have been taught manhood in a way that is not healthy. Be tough, men do not cry, man up -- these are the things I've heard my entire life, and I now cringe when I hear this relayed to boys or younger men by teachers, coaches, fathers, mentors and leaders.

Or we use derogatory and sexist or homophobic words to describe men or boys who do not meet the "normal" of what a male is supposed to be. Some of these male authority figures mean well, or are simply repeating what they were socialized to be or to do, and do not realize that they are unwittingly teaching that manhood has little room to express hurt, disappointment and sorrow.

Somehow, it is doubtful that Belcher decided to put a bullet through his girlfriend’s brain because of homophobia. It is also doubtful that Belcher, who grew up in a home with a single mother, had too much influence from “male authority figures.”

That is the problem for so many of us. We do not talk about much of anything, except sports, women and sex. Everything else is routinely ignored. Or repressed. Until we explode.

Belcher had problems. But to express that it is society’s fault – the most feminized society in the history of civilization – that Belcher couldn’t express his feelings, is moronic.

For the past several years, I have privately advised and counseled several professional and amateur athletes, and entertainers, all men, all grappling with very warped definitions of manhood. The recurring theme over and over is fear of expressing themselves fully, fear of letting others down, fear of not being the tough and rugged men they were told they had to be. And on the inside so many of them are damaged as a result. The very definition of manhood they've embraced is more an emotional prison than anything else.

This is probably why the one scene that is locked in for me is of Belcher thanking his coach and general manager for what they did for him. Then walking away and shooting himself in the head.

We must struggle, harder than ever, as men, as boys, as a nation, to reach the point where a heart-to-heart conversation is the first and only option, not a gun, not gun violence. The lives of Jovan Belcher and Kasandra Perkins will have been in vain completely if we do not go deeper within ourselves to teach and show our sons, our husbands, our boyfriends, our fathers, our men and boys, that there is another way.

What is this other way? Less male role models? Belcher had none. Less manliness? Belcher wasn’t manly – he never married his girlfriend and clearly didn’t care enough about his child not to murder her mother. Less traditional values? Belcher didn’t do this because he was gay, and put upon by the traditional values establishment. He did this because he had no traditional values.

If we are going to blame society for Belcher, let’s look at some real societal problems: single motherhood, tolerance for antisocial behavior, lack of behavioral standards, multicultural acceptance of sexism. But the media is intent on blaming conservative ideals, from gun rights to traditional manliness, for what is very clearly a breach with any conservative ideals whatsoever.