PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Cell Phones

Korpiklaani
12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Which cell phone/carrier do you think is best? What kind do you have? What do you like about it?

Me:

I have a Sprint iPhone 4S. It's a good phone, but I don't like the carrier, solely because they have shit service in NYC, it takes like 2 minutes to send the occasional dick pic to my lover boy. The iPhone itself I like because its convenient. I have a sporadic mind, so when I have a question that can be answered online, BAM I have the internet in the palm of my hands, and also Siri is helpful as well. I like the camera as well. Oh oh oh and facetime is awesome as well.

And as for best carrier, I used to have T-Mobile and they have excellent service here and in Germany. There rates are low as well. I pay $50 a month for the Sidekick with unlimited everything. It was good.

Lambchop
12-02-2012, 01:00 AM
I'll never go with a contract plan. They're going to possess your soul once you sign that paper.

ATM I'm using a Windows phone because of the simple and easy design of the OS.

Leefro
12-02-2012, 01:39 AM
I don't own one and

NEVER WILL

Griffin
12-02-2012, 02:25 AM
I think cell phones are a good example of Satan's hoof hold on humanity.
They should be outlawed from use by teenagers and anyone driving a motor vehicle.

KevinD
12-02-2012, 03:24 AM
My work cell is on Verizon, It's a Casio Brigade (non smart phone) Being as it's a mil spec phone, with qwerty keyboard, and PTT I actually like the phone. The Verizon network was awesome in my area until they started the 4g upgrades. Now I can't even use phone in my house.

redred
12-02-2012, 08:08 AM
uk tmobile and samsung GS2 great phone and good servive for me in the uk

minz
12-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Samsung GS3 on vodafone, it's the only provider that works in my area it's a dead zone for all other networks.

Goofy
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Samsung GS2 on 3-Mobile - best reception in my area :)

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Nokia C3 with just voice for me....I have a computer at work and one at home to surf the net. My life isn't that complex where I need to go online or receive emails on a device with a 3 inch screen.

Loser
12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Hate cell phones for the electronic tether aspect of it, but I'm diggin the note 2 enough that I'm willing to spend 100$ a month on a data plan.

FBD
12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I finally made the switch recently and bought a computer to carry around with me that happens to be able to make phone calls. Got a dozen different calculators, real time analyzers, tons of useful shit that actually makes the device worthwhile. I forget to carry it often and dont really use it a ton, but it is far, far more useful than a regular phone.

oh, its an htc-somethinsomethin with the dr dre beats headphones, they are very good. verizon 4g, plenty fast, but I'm a hermit so most of the browsing if over home wifi, if I browse at all.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Samsung Galaxy SII on T-Mobile

RBP
12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
wait, wut's a computer you carry around with you and make phone calls on? :-s

Isn't that just a fancy phone? :-s

And what do you need a dozen different calculators for? :-s

RBP
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Also, my phone sucks and it's too expensive. :|

Muddy
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
LG voyager on Verizon. Never drops calls, always works, $50 bucks a month.

RBP
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
LG voyager on Verizon. Never drops calls, always works, $50 bucks a month.

:rant:

I pay $90 and hate my phone (features don't work) - that's not even unlimited!

Muddy
12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
:rant:

I pay $90 and hate my phone (features don't work) - that's not even unlimited!

I don't have or use any of the web browsing crap.. That keeps the bill manageable. The data package is where they fuck you.

minz
12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Ouch mines only £39 month.

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 05:01 PM
mine is 29 per month, just voice but I get free long distance and some other goodies...

RBP
12-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I don't have or use any of the web browsing crap.. That keeps the bill manageable. The data package is where they fuck you.

Yeah but they said I had to have a data plan for the fancy phone... I rarely use the browser but to check email and that functionality rarely works. :|

Muddy
mine is 29 per month, just voice but I get free long distance and some other goodies...

Free long distance? I thought with a cell phone there was no long distance?

Teh One Who Knocks
Mine costs me $115 month, but I also have my dad on my plan

RBP
12-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Canadian free long distance. 8-[

http://i.imgur.com/cYtKe.jpg

RBP
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Mine costs me $115 month, but I also have my dad on my plan

Boot him! :x

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Free long distance? I thought with a cell phone there was no long distance?

No, we get charged LD on every out of province call...

Muddy
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Why do you need a smart phone?

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Canadian free long distance. 8-[

http://i.imgur.com/cYtKe.jpg

It's a big country....we have phones with longer strings

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah but they said I had to have a data plan for the fancy phone... I rarely use the browser but to check email and that functionality rarely works. :|

I ran into that 2 years back when I renewed with my provider....

hal - I want a non-smart phone
provider - :lol: pardon me?
hal - I'm serious bitch, find me a phone that makes calls ONLY! :x
provider - I'll put a call into 1959 and get back to you :lol:
hal - Imma send a pic of my balls you twat....oh wait, I can't :(
provider - sucks to be you :dance:

RBP
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Why do you need a smart phone?

Because the salesgirl had great tits. duh.

Muddy
12-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Because the salesgirl had great tits. duh.

You should have gotten some pussy for that sale..

Muddy
12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I ran into that 2 years back when I renewed with my provider....

hal - I want a non-smart phone
provider - :lol: pardon me?
hal - I'm serious bitch, find me a phone that makes calls ONLY! :x
provider - I'll put a call into 1959 and get back to you :lol:
hal - Imma send a pic of my balls you twat....oh wait, I can't :(
provider - sucks to be you :dance:

Verizon has a bunch.. You can make calls, text, etc.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2012, 05:09 PM

:slap:

RBP
12-03-2012, 05:10 PM
You should have gotten some pussy for that sale..

Maybe I should check my contract :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Verizon's new plans all blow...I looked at them when I was at the Verizon store with my g/f a few weeks ago

Muddy
12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Verizon's new plans all blow...I looked at them when I was at the Verizon store with my g/f a few weeks ago

Verizons coverage map and quality of network is untouched by any though.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Verizons coverage map and quality of network is untouched by any though.

I have never had 'no service' anywhere in Colorado until I head up into the remote areas of the state where no one is gonna get any service unless they have a sat phone

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 05:15 PM

I can make calls/texts, send and receive picture messages...and that's it. No email and the browser has been disconnected.

It was seriously hard (with my provider) to find a phone without paying for a data plan, I know what RBP is saying. We have two main providers up here and country wide coverage/monthly cost is how I do my phone shopping.

they charge us for caller ID, voice mail (charge for having it, plus every minute you're in there retrieving messages)...so we get bent over a little when it comes to plans.

Muddy
12-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I can make calls/texts, send and receive picture messages...and that's it. No email and the browser has been disconnected.

It was seriously hard (with my provider) to find a phone without paying for a data plan, I know what RBP is saying. We have two main providers up here and country wide coverage/monthly cost is how I do my phone shopping.

they charge us for caller ID, voice mail (charge for having it, plus every minute you're in there retrieving messages)...so we get bent over a little when it comes to plans.

If the government wanted to do something for the people.. I'd like to see them provide coast to coast wireless.. Screw the cell network.. Bunch of price gougers.

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 05:30 PM
If the government wanted to do something for the people.. I'd like to see them provide coast to coast wireless.. Screw the cell network.. Bunch of price gougers.

get this....I was in BC and someone phoned me from here (Alberta). Since my phone was out of province guess who paid for the bill?

I've never heard of a more ludicrous rule when it comes to long distance vs who is standing where...

Teh One Who Knocks
12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
get this....I was in BC and someone phoned me from here (Alberta). Since my phone was out of province guess who paid for the bill?

I've never heard of a more ludicrous rule when it comes to long distance vs who is standing where...

Wow, and I thought WE got screwed here in the States when it comes to cell phones :wha:

Muddy
12-03-2012, 05:33 PM

What a rip...

My 13 year old has an ipod touch and she uses a voip protocol over the wireless network and doesn't pay shit for phone calls.. Now it wont work out in public unless there's a wireless connection there to leech off, but surely you can see the potential here..

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I didn't believe it or understand it at first..called my provider and got a whole lecture on roaming charges/long distance charges....

this was a few years ago and the rule may have changed.....but is sure seems stupid that the person making the call doesn't get dinged with the charge. They initiated the call ffs...

MrsM
12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I only have a work phone - so I don't know what the monthly cost is - We are with Telus and I get unlimited calls and texts and 6gigs of data.

Now that I have a smart phone I don't know if I can go back

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I get raped by Rogers...may go to Telus next time around..

MrsM
12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I get raped by Rogers...may go to Telus next time around..

The best thing to do is shop around - they all have differenct deals at different times. I like calling one of them and saying "your competition is offering this - can you beat it"... then calling the other guy back and saying that the other guy is going to do this for me - can you beat that?

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
The best thing to do is shop around - they all have differenct deals at different times. I like calling one of them and saying "your competition is offering this - can you beat it"... then calling the other guy back and saying that the other guy is going to do this for me - can you beat that?

I was at the end of my 3 year contract with Rogers and got warned that if I didn't 'indicate' to them my contract was over, they'd keep billing me monthly...

so I called, got the most stupid, unhelpful customer service rep on the phone and all I was trying to do was to tell her that my contract was done in a couple of weeks, stop the service sort of thing...

long one short I lost my temper and threw the phone across my basement...while I was in-call with her :lol:

2 days later an English speaking, much more intelligent person called me offering all sorts of things if I kept using them for another 3 years. She was good....I ended up renewing with quite a different monthly package...

:oops:

Lambchop
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Looks like they only took a small part of your soul that time. Might not be so lucky next time.

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Looks like they only took a small part of your soul that time. Might not be so lucky next time.

you have to follow your monthly bills...not just pay them blindly. In the early days I was charged for some incoming, local calls....which is a no-no under most plans I think....

FBD
12-04-2012, 05:15 PM

:lol: so you want the cel networks to be fucked up and listened to by a new wing of government employees and all calls recorded, text kept, maintenance a thing of the past?

Muddy
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
:lol: so you want the cel networks to be fucked up and listened to by a new wing of government employees and all calls recorded, text kept, maintenance a thing of the past?

I never text or speak of anything on a cellular network that can be construed as malicious.. I think they store all the conversations as well.

FBD
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
what's illegal is what they tell you is illegal, subject to change without notice.

Hal-9000
12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I never text or speak of anything on a cellular network that can be construed as malicious.. I think they store all the conversations as well.

I knew a guy that sold weed and he insisted communicating in texts only...he thought that texts were harder than voice to copy and store...

:doh: in my mind, voice files are larger, therefore harder to archive. I believe that every text sent in this world is backed up somewhere, maybe notsomuch for the voice communications.

Muddy
12-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Drugs should only be ordered via carrier pigeon.

Hal-9000
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I read something about a huge underground complex in the states that had reams of servers that recorded emails, texts....not sure if it's bunk or true

they had a building diagram and everything :lol:

Muddy
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Of course they do... Its only a few 0's and 1's..

Hal-9000
12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I wonder if my 41000 posts here have been backed up somewhere too...

I've said some pretty gawddamned important things :rofl:

Goofy
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I wonder if my 41000 posts here have been backed up somewhere too...

We forward all your posts directly to the Feds nowadays :tup:

Korpiklaani
12-07-2012, 02:01 AM
So yeah, I think it was settled that Verizon is the best.