PDA

View Full Version : U.S. launches new project to develop electric-vehicle batteries

lost in melb.
12-03-2012, 11:00 PM
by Ayesha Rascoe

Reuters Translate This Article
3 December 2012

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration launched a fresh $120-million research project Friday, aimed at developing cheaper batteries for electric vehicles, a sector that has faltered despite billions of dollars of prior government investment.

The Energy Department will dole out the money over five years to establish a research hub for batteries and energy storage, backed by five national laboratories, five Midwestern universities and four private firms.

The four companies joining the project are Dow Chemical Co, Applied Materials Inc, Johnson Controls Inc and Clean Energy Trust.

During the Obama administration's first term, jump-starting advanced battery manufacturing was a major national initiative, which saw the Energy Department plow $2 billion of grants into 29 battery makers to build or update plants.

But the industry was hobbled by overcapacity, limp demand for electric vehicles and high-profile bankruptcies, including the collapse of government-backed battery maker A123.

Still, the government defended its efforts, saying that despite some failures, most of its investments were successful and helped double renewable-energy output from wind and solar.

'Not every company succeeds,' Energy Secretary Steven Chu said at a news conference Friday announcing the new project. 'Never should the United States say because one company didn't succeed as much as others, we should get out of the game.'

Led by the Argonne National Laboratory near Chicago, the new research hub will combine several independent research programs into a single coordinated effort 'to push the limits on battery advances,' the department said.

Besides working on batteries for electric vehicles, the project will also tackle energy storage for the electric grid, officials said.

Many Republicans have attacked the Obama administration's direct investment in clean energy companies, arguing that the government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers in the private sector.

However, government investment in energy research and development still has broad bipartisan support in Congress.

© Copyright 2012 Reuters

PorkChopSandwiches
12-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Why dont they make it a competition like they did with the space plane deal, instead of just handing out money? Because then Obama couldnt be handing money over to his buddies I guess.

DemonGeminiX
12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
So much for cutting spending.

:roll:

Pony
12-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Anyone wanna startup an alternative energy company with me? Guaranteed funding, no results necessary.

Hal-9000
12-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Anyone wanna startup an alternative energy company with me? Guaranteed funding, no results necessary.

Yes Mr Obama we're using mucous as an energy source! :)

We can't really make an engine move using it but think longterm....it's completely natural and a self renewing resource :tup:

lost in melb.
12-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Why dont they make it a competition like they did with the space plane deal, instead of just handing out money? Because then Obama couldnt be handing money over to his buddies I guess.

So how should they do it?

Pony
12-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Yes Mr Obama we're using mucous as an energy source! :)

We can't really make an engine move using it but think longterm....it's completely natural and a self renewing resource :tup:

I was thinking urine from drunks. We each get 20 mil salary/year, spend the rest on "research" over the next 3 years. File bankruptcy and get a 200 mil bailout before the next election.

Muddy
12-03-2012, 11:58 PM

Great idea.

Hal-9000
12-04-2012, 12:00 AM
I was thinking urine from drunks. We each get 20 mil salary/year, spend the rest on "research" over the next 3 years. File bankruptcy and get a 200 mil bailout before the next election.

awesome, I'll make the sign :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-04-2012, 12:02 AM
So how should they do it?

Competition with cash prize

FBD
12-04-2012, 01:33 AM
wtf, the first however many billions werent enough to have pissed away, now we need to....do more of exactly the same thing and piss away another couple hundred mil?

:hand: no bother - the government borrows $188 million an hour or something fkn stupid like that :rolleyes:

Hal-9000
12-04-2012, 02:01 AM
wtf, the first however many billions werent enough to have pissed away, now we need to....do more of exactly the same thing and piss away another couple hundred mil?

:hand: no bother - the government borrows $188 million an hour or something fkn stupid like that :rolleyes:

and I can't have nice things :sad2:

Griffin
12-04-2012, 02:14 AM
by Ayesha Rascoe

Reuters Translate This Article
3 December 2012

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration launched a fresh $120-million research project Friday, aimed at developing cheaper batteries for electric vehicles, a sector that has faltered despite billions of dollars of prior government investment.

These dumb asses don't even understand the real problem.
It's not the cost of the batteries but the weight and space they take up in a vehicle.
Then when you put an electric motor large enough to move the damn thing there isn't enough power to add the additional weight of the occupants unless you put in more batteries for a larger motor.

FBD
12-04-2012, 01:26 PM
These dumb asses don't even understand the real problem.

Unfortunately, the same can be said for just about every problem they approach.

Godfather
12-05-2012, 01:56 AM
I just read the other day that the 15 largest ships in the world pollute more than all 750+ million cars in the world :lol:

KevinD
12-05-2012, 02:44 AM
I just read the other day that the 15 largest ships in the world pollute more than all 750+ million cars in the world :lol:

Ding-ding, we has a winner. Auto pollute much less than MANY industrial machines, yet industry is much less regulated that than autos. If you subscribe to the conspiracy folks, there is an argument that hand in hand with gun control, they want to make it so expensive to own a car that the average folks can't, thereby limiting our mobility as well as or ability for self defense.

Southern Belle
12-05-2012, 02:47 AM
IMO, the point is that it still takes electricity to charge the batteries.
You can feel all noble and shit for driving an electric car, but you're charging it with electricity generated by coal or nuclear power.

A few months ago, it seemed I was constantly buying AA and AAA batteries, so I thought I'd buy some rechargeable batteries and a small solar battery charger. Big surprise, couldn't find a solar charger in the stores. Couldn't find a reasonably priced one online. This is ridiculous because I had solar battery chargers in the 70s and 80s.
Charging batteries from a wall receptacle is defeating the purpose to me. WTF?

Godfather
12-05-2012, 02:50 AM
I fucking love nuclear power... just saying.

Southern Belle
12-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Nothing wrong with nuclear power, but it isn't free or without environmental problems.

Griffin
12-05-2012, 02:55 AM
how about a Solar Powered Clothes dryer (http://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/KotulaCatalogAssetStore/images/product/21014_lg.jpg)?

Southern Belle
12-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Yeah, it's a cable between two posts.

KevinD
12-05-2012, 02:57 AM
how about a Solar Powered Clothes dryer (http://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/KotulaCatalogAssetStore/images/product/21014_lg.jpg)?

I was gonna say a clothesline, but that works too. Still prefer my clothes air dried.

Southern Belle
12-05-2012, 02:59 AM
The only reason I don't hang clothes out to dry is because I live on a dirt road and they get too dirty while they're drying.

Godfather
12-05-2012, 03:01 AM
I was gonna say a clothesline, but that works too. Still prefer my clothes air dried.

My old boss has a live-in maid who came straight from Thailand. She looked at him like he was crazy when she was shown the dryer :lol: Couldn't believe it was hygienic enough to clean clothes without putting them in the sun.

Southern Belle
12-05-2012, 03:03 AM
My husband rarely dried his clothes in the dryer when he still lived in England. Only when it was raining or snowing.