PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 5, mauled by her family’s pet pit bull

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
By Alexis Stevens - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A 5-year-old Spalding County girl was severely injured when she was attacked by her family’s pit bull Wednesday afternoon, according to police.

The child, whose name was not released, was flown to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston, where she was being treated for severe facial trauma, Capt. Dwayne Jones with Griffin police said.

“She was in her fenced-in backyard,” Jones told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “When the officer arrived, the dog was latched on to the child’s face.”

The child’s grandmother was trying to pull the dog off the girl when Cpl. Stan Phillips arrived at the Ruth Street home around 2:40 p.m., according to police. Phillips was forced to shoot the dog to prevent further injuries to the child, possibly saving her life, Jones said.

A landing zone was established in the nearby Spalding Village shopping center and the child was flown to Egleston, Jones said. Emergency responders treated the child’s grandmother at the scene for superficial injuries. Injuries to both the girl and her grandmother were the result of the dog’s actions and not from the gunshot, according to police.

The dog’s remains were taken to the Spalding County Animal Shelter and will be tested for rabies, Jones said. Two other dogs were also taken to the animal shelter, but it was not immediately known if those two dogs also lived at the home.

No previous problems related to animals had ever been reported at the home, Jones said.

redred
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
kids should not be left alone with any dog no matter what breed

PorkChopSandwiches
12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
all pit bulls should be killed, but not with guns those should all be taken away.

Acid Trip
12-06-2012, 05:16 PM
kids should not be left alone with any dog no matter what breed

I would trust my dog (Labrador Retriever) alone with kids more than I would trust other adults.

Hal-9000
12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
all pit bulls should be killed, but not with guns those should all be taken away.

I used my whiffle ball bat on the neighbor's crazy dog...........he licked me and wagged his tail :sad2:

redred
12-06-2012, 07:31 PM
I would trust my dog (Labrador Retriever) alone with kids more than I would trust other adults.

it's not about not trusting the dog , you never get the full story with cases like this , you never know what made the dog snap ,was the kid teasing the dog ? did the kid poke the dog? thats why they shouldn't be left alone with dogs

PorkChopSandwiches
12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I have seen my kids and other people kids fall onto my dogs when they were toddlers, the dogs just got up and walked off. I would never worry about them doing harm to kids

Acid Trip
12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I have seen my kids and other people kids fall onto my dogs when they were toddlers, the dogs just got up and walked off. I would never worry about them doing harm to kids

That's how I feel about my dog.

perrhaps
12-06-2012, 08:22 PM
That's how I feel about my dog.

Mine too, and I've got a rottweiler.

Goofy
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
That's probably how this family felt about their pitbull too........

redred
12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
If you guys can say that your dogs would just walk away if say it was poked in the eye a few times then good on you ,

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2012, 09:58 PM
That's probably how this family felt about their pitbull too........

You're not getting the full story on this animal. Don't think just because it's a "pitbull" that it's mean by default. People tend to abuse pitbulls and make them mean on purpose. You heard about the child and you heard about the grandmother, now where's the rest of the family? Did the pitbull belong to the grandmother, or was there someone else involved... like the child's father? Was the pitbull treated right? Was it a rescue animal? No other issues reported before? Were there other issues that didn't get reported? Don't make any assumptions based on your knee-jerk emotional reactions to what's written. There's too much information missing in this article.

I know several pitbulls that are the absolute sweetest and most gentle dogs on the planet. And I've known cocker spaniels that I wouldn't trust at all. It's all to do with how the dog is treated, how it's trained and socialized.

Goofy
12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
You're not getting the full story on this animal. Don't think just because it's a "pitbull" that it's mean by default. People tend to abuse pitbulls and make them mean on purpose. You heard about the child and you heard about the grandmother, now where's the rest of the family? Did the pitbull belong to the grandmother, or was there someone else involved... like the child's father? Was the pitbull treated right? Was it a rescue animal? No other issues reported before? Were there other issues that didn't get reported? Don't make any assumptions based on your knee-jerk emotional reactions to what's written. There's too much information missing in this article.

I know several pitbulls that are the absolute sweetest and most gentle dogs on the planet. And I've known cocker spaniels that I wouldn't trust at all. It's all to do with how the dog is treated, how it's trained and socialized.

I agree with all of that........... but, i stand by my statement. The family obviously believed the dog to be extremely docile or they wouldn't have let a 5 year old near it surely? Either that or that family is seriously fucked up in the head and too stupid to be living on this planet :) I had a cocker spaniel attempt to remove my arm when i tried to pet him about 3 years ago...... lucky i moved back quickly! Funnily enough he was put down about a month later after nearly biting his owners hand off (my dads best mate btw) so i do know that all breeds can be vicious. The problem with a pit-bull is its size and strength, when a pit-bull flips it does so much damage in such a short space of time.......... a cocker, jack russell, whatever, not so much damage so less is heard about those :)

minz
12-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I would never trust a dog and child alone together, as a child our neighbour had a dog with children and it really was the softest dog you could ever wish to meet, we would all play on the street in front of the house and the dog was always with us, but one very hot sunny day the dog just flipped and got hold of my sister by the arm, she had 57 stitches to the wound and a permanent disfigurement, it just goes to show that even the softest of dogs can have their off days...

Hal-9000
12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
truth is..whether it's a dog or a monkey or a squirrel...they are animals and can revert back to instinct at any time if they feel something's wrong...

don't make me post the story about the great squirrel attack of '06.....I barely got outta there with my nuts intact :shock:

minz
12-06-2012, 11:16 PM
truth is..whether it's a dog or a monkey or a squirrel...they are animals and can revert back to instinct at any time if they feel something's wrong...

don't make me post the story about the great squirrel attack of '06.....I barely got outta there with my nuts intact :shock:

Maybe they just thought you were the nut. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I just disposed of a dead squirrel several hours ago that I found in my driveway.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Was it tasty

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Tasted like chicken.

Hal-9000
12-06-2012, 11:54 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I just disposed of a dead squirrel several hours ago that I found in my driveway.

Squirrels - 0
Humans - 1

:tup:

Hal-9000
12-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Maybe they just thought you were the nut. :lol:

Oh har-de-har har :x

You have no idea what 8, well coordinated squirrels with the intent and resolve to do harm can really accomplish :(

DemonGeminiX
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Oh har-de-har har :x

You have no idea what 8, well coordinated squirrels with the intent and resolve to do harm can really accomplish :(

First rabbits and now squirrels? I'm thinking mother nature's got something against you, buddy. Something you wanna come clean about?

:-k

Hal-9000
12-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Imma bite a pit bull one day! :x

Think they'll put me down if I do that? :lol:

RBP
12-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Imma bite a pit bull one day! :x

Think they'll put me down if I do that? :lol:

Only one way to find out. :nana:

deebakes
12-07-2012, 02:35 AM