PDA

View Full Version : Manitoba border agents off job over name-tag policy

Teh One Who Knocks
12-14-2012, 11:58 AM
CBC News

http://i.imgur.com/kMk67.jpg

Border agents at the Emerson crossing in Manitoba are refusing to work today over a mandatory name-tag policy that came into effect this week.

The Canada Border Services Agency is warning motorists to expect delays and lineups at the Emerson crossing on Thursday because of "work refusals by several officers at this port of entry."

Manitoba becomes the second province to see job action as a result of the policy.

The CBSA said the disruptions are because the unionized border officers are refusing to wear name tags — a new policy that went into effect on Tuesday.

The union representing the border agents argues that being forced to wear a name tag, with officers' last names displayed, potentially opens them up to retaliation from angry drivers.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada says there are approximately 70 border agents in Emerson, but it's not known how many of them are refusing to work on Thursday.

Marianne Hladun, the union's regional vice-president for the Prairies, says some of the officers don't feel safe having their last names on their name tags.

"There's no reason to put a name tag on an officer, which then puts not only them, but their families, at risk," she told CBC News.

Hladun said the officers already wear tags that show their five-digit identification numbers.

But the CBSA says wearing name tags does not pose a safety risk for officers. It points out that U.S. border and customs agents, Canadian Forces members and federal corrections officers all wear name tags.

"Personalized name tags reflect our commitment to service excellence and reinforce the professionalism and integrity for which CBSA officers are known," the agency stated in a release.

Border agents at two Ontario crossings — Windsor and Sarnia — walked off the job on Wednesday for the same reason. Travellers faced delays of up to two hours as a result.

The border agency said the officers at those two locations have since returned to work, wearing the name tags.

Hal-9000
12-14-2012, 07:42 PM
good points on either side....full names give access to personal information and no names give agents the ability to be superfluous to the law without repercussion..

holy crap, I used the word superfluous :shock:

Acid Trip
12-14-2012, 07:53 PM
good points on either side....full names give access to personal information and no names give agents the ability to be superfluous to the law without repercussion..

holy crap, I used the word superfluous :shock:

It's only their last name and every other type of law enforcement wears them. I don't see what the big deal is.

Hal-9000
12-14-2012, 09:58 PM
It's only their last name and every other type of law enforcement wears them. I don't see what the big deal is.

Don't police have only badge numbers in view?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Nope, at least down here, cops have a tag with their last name and their badge on their uniform

Hal-9000
12-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I've had some experience with the federales up here and can't recall seeing their names anywhere....

of course I may have been busy calling them other names at the time :oops:

Acid Trip
12-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Nope, at least down here, cops have a tag with their last name and their badge on their uniform

First initial and last name above one breast, badge with badge number on the other.

Hal-9000
12-14-2012, 10:17 PM
First initial and last name above one breast, badge with badge number on the other.

strange...that's right where I aim during high speed chases and my liquor store robberies...