PDA

View Full Version : Threatening comments about UAA on Web chat site lead to 15-year-old

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
By LISA DEMER - Anchorage Daily News

Anchorage — Threatening remarks about the University of Alaska Anchorage posted on a Web chat site late Saturday were traced to a 15-year-old Alaska boy, who said he just wanted to see if anyone would respond, according to UAA police.

On the Web site, the person identified himself as "disgruntled, out of work, student loan debts to pay" and made threats to himself as well as UAA, police said in a notice sent out Sunday to UAA students, staff and faculty.

The remarks drew the attention of people from around the country, the FBI, and Anchorage and university police.

UAA Police Chief Rick Shell said he got a call around 3 a.m. Sunday about the matter, which at that point was still unfolding. The comments were posted between 11 p.m. and midnight Saturday, he said.

The FBI was able to determine the location from where the post originated, and an agent and an Alaska state trooper went to the residence early Sunday. The teen lives outside of Anchorage.

"Officials responded to the blogger's residence and discovered that the person behind the keyboard was the 15-year-old son of a former UAA student," the UAA notice said.

The teenager told authorities he didn't intend to hurt anyone at UAA or anywhere else, and apologized. His father said he would make sure his son understood the seriousness of his actions. By 8 a.m., the incident was resolved, the police chief said.

While the U.S. Attorney's Office declined to bring charges, the investigation is continuing into what police see as a very serious matter, Shell said.

As a precaution, university police posted an extra officer at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex on campus Sunday, he said.

DemonGeminiX
12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
What is it with these idiots?

:dunno:

Hal-9000
12-17-2012, 11:39 PM
not condoning what this kid did... but I guess it's common for the real freaks who shoot up schools to tell someone about it beforehand, usually on a social networking site

if Big Brother stops even one of these monsters by monitoring my texting, I say - go right ahead please

minz
12-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Why is it that so many kids these days have little or no regard for their fellow human beings, is it down to the parents letting their little prince or princess think that nobody else matters except them? what the hell is this world coming to, we have raised a generation of little shits who are so completely self absorbed.

Hal-9000
12-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Why is it that so many kids these days have little or no regard for their fellow human beings, is it down to the parents letting their little prince or princess think that nobody else matters except them? what the hell is this world coming to, we have raised a generation of little shits who are so completely self absorbed.

I would agree with this theory coupled with the overall effect media has on kids today....they read thousands of texts per day in all sorts of mediums, and people in general have become very callous and insensitive to everything...in fact, that's 'cool'...