PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel missing in Syria

Godfather
12-18-2012, 04:44 AM
Turkish media is reporting that veteran journalist Richard Engel, NBC's chief foreign correspondent and Middle East bureau chief, and his Turkish colleague Aziz Akyavaş are currently missing in Syria.

Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reports that Engel and Akyavaş haven't been in contact with NBC News since Thursday morning.

John Cook of Gawker reports that NBC has been "asking every reporter who inquires about the pair to participate in a news blackout," but the Turkish reports have already been referenced by journalists and others thousands of times on Twitter.

Prominent investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill argues that NBC's news blackout should be respected, although the news has been picked up by outlets including The Daily Mail, The Houston Chronicle, and The Atlantic Wire:

There are processes going on that other media are not privy to and you should respect that. It could mean life/death for the missing journo
— jeremy scahill (@jeremyscahill) December 17, 2012

The desire to get a "scoop" should be put in check when there are very good reasons--namely the lives of our colleagues-- to stay quiet

There are cases where the families/employers ask for coverage. There are actual strategies at play and that should be respected.

Turkish news channel NTV notes that Turkish journalists who have been arrested and detained in Syria do not have any information about the journalists' whereabouts.

[UPDATE 4:50 p.m.] John Cook at Gawker has published a response to readers wondering why Gawker decided to publish their post against NBC News' wishes:

The rationale for the blackout was offered in off-the-record conversations, so I can't present their argument here. But I will say this: No one told me anything that indicated a specific, or even general, threat to Engel's safety. No one said, "If you report this, then we know, or suspect, that X, Y, or Z may happen." It was infinitely more vague and general than that.

As I wrote in the post, when the New York Times maintained a blackout about David Rohde, the rationale was clear: I was directly told that the Times had reason to believe that the people who had Rohde would harm him if news got out. There was nothing approaching that level of specificity or argumentation here. I would not have written a post if someone had told me that there was a reasonable or even remote suspicion that anything specific would happen if I wrote the post.

Also: There was in practice no blackout. Xinhua and Breitbart had published English language accounts. There were probably like 100 posts to Twitter per minute about him. This was a situation where the information was freely available on the internet, and in the region—these are large Turkish outlets reporting this information. It was out.

deebakes
12-18-2012, 05:56 AM
dick went missing in a blackout? better check all the caves ;)

DemonGeminiX
12-18-2012, 10:18 AM
They were freed.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/18/15985279-richard-engel-and-nbc-news-team-freed-from-captors-in-syria?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=2

You know, I have a problem with this. People shouldn't be going over there regardless of their jobs.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
You know, I have a problem with this. People shouldn't be going over there regardless of their jobs.

Yup, there is absolutely no reason to be broadcasting the news live in an active war zone, never mind the fact that it's also a country that hates America on top of it and couldn't care less about the safety of any American over there.

Muddy
12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
He escaped and is free now..