PDA

View Full Version : 22 NIU frat members charged in freshman's hazing death

RBP
12-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Nearly two dozen members of a Northern Illinois University fraternity were charged with hazing crimes Monday after a student died following excessive drinking at a party last month.

On the night before his death, freshman David Bogenberger went from room to room in the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, answering a series of questions in exchange for vodka and other liquor over a two-hour period, authorities said.

It was a part of an annual ritual known as "parents' night," an alcohol-infused party in which senior members of the fraternity and associated sororities are assigned as mentors to new members. Bogenberger, a 19-year-old finance major from Palatine, had recently pledged the house in an effort to make friends at his father's alma mater.

"He wanted to be liked. He wanted to be accepted," said Peter R. Coladarci, the Bogenberger family attorney. "It's a classic case of a kid who just wants to fit in with the group."

Bogenberger's efforts to fit in proved fatal, as he was found dead in a fraternity house bed the next morning. Subsequent tests found his blood alcohol content was about five times the legal limit for driving of 0.08 percent at the time of his death, authorities said.

NIU regularly approves parents' night parties, but police say fraternity leaders intentionally kept the event a secret from campus officials so they could serve liquor without oversight. Registered gatherings typically include inspections to ensure that university rules are being followed.

The alleged deceit led to criminal charges against 22 members of the fraternity, which ceased operation shortly after Bogenberger's Nov. 2 death.

DeKalb County authorities have charged five fraternity leaders with felony hazing in connection with the incident, authorities said. Seventeen others face misdemeanor charges.

"They knowingly planned this event and did not seek to register it because of the kind of event they were going to provide, because of the amount of alcohol that was to be consumed," DeKalb Police Department Lt. Jason Leverton said.

Charged with felony hazing are the fraternity's president, Alexander M. Jandick, 21, of Naperville; its vice president, James P. Harvey, 21, of DeKalb; pledge adviser Omar Salameh, 21, of DeKalb; secretary Patrick W. Merrill, 19, of DeKalb; and event planner Steven A. Libert, 20, of Naperville, authorities said.

Felony hazing carries a possible prison sentence of one to three years, though probation is an option. The misdemeanor hazing charge carries a penalty of up to 364 days in jail, with probation as an option.

In a statement released through DeKalb authorities, Bogenberger's family said it still was grappling with his death and a future without him. The family also acknowledged concern for the families of those charged Monday.

"We have no desire for revenge. Rather, we hope that some significant change will come from David's death," the statement read. "Alcohol poisoning claims far too many young, healthy lives. We must realize that young people can and do die in hazing rituals. Alcohol-involved hazing and initiation must end."

One of the fraternity officers called the Bogenberger family in Florida over the weekend to express his regret, Coladarci said. The student -- who Coladarci believes was among those charged -- gave his account of the evening and acknowledged errors in judgment, the attorney said.

The family believes the charges were necessary to prevent future hazing incidents, Coladarci said. He declined to discuss possible punishments, only saying the family is not seeking "an eye for an eye" and does not want to see any "harm" done to those charged.

"These kind of hazing incidents are commonplace on college campuses, and I think these kids don't understand that you can die from it," he said. "This is a national health epidemic, which must be addressed."

A spokesman for the Pi Kappa Alpha headquarters in Memphis, Tenn., did not respond to requests for comment.

NIU has placed temporary sanctions against the fraternity, meaning that it cannot operate as a student organization, NIU spokesman Paul Palian said. The fraternity faces disciplinary charges that could lead to permanent sanctions.

NIU also announced disciplinary charges Monday against 31 fraternity members. The charges stem from violations of the student code of conduct regarding hazing and alcohol consumption.

The students were notified of the charges Dec. 7 and will have the opportunity for a disciplinary hearing. The sorority member participants also could face disciplinary charges, Palian added.

Penalties include expulsion from school.

"There is evidence of violating the student code of conduct," Palian said. "If the fraternity was found to be involved in hazing, we have a zero tolerance for hazing."

Palian said he hopes students realize the consequences of hazing and binge drinking.

"I am sure certainly for the university's student organizations, this is a situation that hitshomeand hopefully it will be a wake-up call. This is a problem that is a national problem," he said.

Although Bogenberger's family declined to talk Monday evening, their lawyer suggested NIU also shares some culpability for the teen's death.

"Everyone in this milieu has some sort of accountability," Coladarci said. "The university must know that this goes on and they may have turned a blind eye."

Over the past 15 years, hazing has become more violent, sexual and humiliating because students have taken tradition and morphed it into their own version, which has become lethal, said Dr. Susan Lipkins, a New York-based psychologist who studied the issue for a decade.

Some states, like Illinois, have created a felony charge for hazing, but most have only misdemeanor charges, Lipkins said.

At least 45 college students have been charged with hazing-related crimes in the past calendar year, according to news accounts.

DeKalb police contacted students charged in the case Monday to notify them that arrest warrants had been issued and to ask them to turn themselves in, Leverton said.

None of them had done so by late Monday, but Leverton said police would give the students a couple of days before sending officers to track them down.

"We expect cooperation with that, and we've had, by and large, cooperation throughout the investigation," Leverton said. "I mean, nobody had an intention of things getting this severe, and nobody had the intention of causing this young man's death."

RBP
12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
My house. Could have been any of us, either dead or arrested. And it was worse back then I think.

Acid Trip
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
My house. Could have been any of us, either dead or arrested. And it was worse back then I think.

That sucks. Are you young enough to know any of these guys or were you in school awhile ago?

RBP
12-18-2012, 04:10 PM
That sucks. Are you young enough to know any of these guys or were you in school awhile ago?

Nah I was there 25 years ago so I am not familiar with the current guys.

deebakes
12-19-2012, 02:30 AM
wow :rip:

RBP
12-20-2012, 06:36 AM
December 19, 2012

"We have no desire for revenge. Rather, we hope that some significant change will come from David's death. Alcohol poisoning claims far too many young, healthy lives. We must realize that young people can and do die in hazing rituals. Alcohol-involved hazing and initiation must end."

— Statement from the Palatine family of NIU freshman David Bogenberger, who died Nov. 2.

On Sept. 29, 1997, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology freshman named Scott Krueger died at a hospital in Boston. Three days earlier, he and 11 other Phi Gamma Delta fraternity pledges allegedly had been ordered to drink toxic amounts of beer, whiskey and other alcoholic beverages during a fraternity event called "Animal House Night," at which each new member was to forge a bond with an upperclass Fiji mentor. Krueger's blood-alcohol level reached 0.40, and he never recovered. His devastated parents drove his body back to suburban Buffalo in the family station wagon.

David Bogenberger, a freshman at Northern Illinois University, had joined Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity to make friends. At an annual event known as "parents' night," when upperclass Pikes and members of associated sororities are assigned as mentors to pledges, he allegedly went from room to room answering questions in exchange for vodka and other liquor. Bogenberger's blood-alcohol level reached 0.40, and he never recovered. His body was discovered in a frat house bed the next morning.

David Bogenberger was a week shy of age 4 when Scott Krueger died. Two young men, two promising lives exterminated — at ages 19 and 18, respectively — by foolish hazing and lethal circumstance.

But a sea change in attitudes provoked by Krueger's case has, 15 years later, delivered shock waves to Bogenberger's.

On Monday, DeKalb County authorities announced criminal charges: Five fraternity members accused of felony hazing face possible prison sentences of one to three years. Seventeen of the Pikes accused of misdemeanor hazing face possible jail sentences of up to 364 days. If they are convicted, all 22 students instead could, under Illinoislaw, be sentenced to probation.

Also on Monday, NIU announced disciplinary charges against 31 students. The fraternity's future is in doubt. Others could face charges that they violated an NIU code of conduct regarding hazing and alcohol consumption.

We leave judgment of criminal guilt or innocence to the courts. Expect testimony that fraternity leaders intentionally kept "parents' night" a secret from campus officials so they could serve liquor without oversight.

But by filing serious charges, DeKalb officials are sending a message: We take David Bogenberger's death seriously.

Before Scott Krueger's death, that sort of reaction was rare in this country when college students died of alcohol poisoning. Kids will be kids.

MIT's prestige made the Krueger case a national story. But the sea change came three years later when MIT President Charles Vest publicly issued a message blessedly free of the attorneyspeak by which powerful people so often try to dodge liability: "Despite your trust in MIT, things went terribly awry," Vest told the Kruegers. "At a very personal level, I feel that we at MIT failed you and Scott. For this you have our profound apology."

We failed you and Scott. We wrote at the time that Vest's refusal to hide behind weasel words surely had other college presidents squirming in their soft leather chairs. We said stonemasons should hammer his statement over the entrance to Old Main at every campus in the country, because too many college administrators had been trying to have it both ways — supporting alcohol education programs strong enough to placate parents, but not so Draconian as to turn off potential students.

Prosecutors, police officers, university administrators and yes, many students, today recognize binge drinking and college hazing as more dangerous than they did 15 years ago.

But for all the pieties now preached, students still overdrink, and hazing survives.

If you're a college student, or know one, initiate the conversation that just might save his or her life. Students are flooding home now for the holidays — a time second only to spring break, statistically, in the pace of student drinking.

All of us need to be clear: We take David Bogenberger's death seriously.

Scott Krueger, we're thinking of you, too, and the radical new notion — accountability — that your death added to this godawful pathology.

RBP
12-20-2012, 06:36 AM
I am settled on this yet.

deebakes
12-21-2012, 12:54 AM

:lolwut:

RBP
12-21-2012, 01:01 AM
:lolwut:

I mean, I went through it, and yeah it's over the top sometimes, but yeah I just don't know how I feel about the whole thing, especially the felony charges.

deebakes
12-21-2012, 01:03 AM
so... you aren't settled then? :-k

RBP
12-21-2012, 01:03 AM

:-s

Are you going to keep repeating what I say?

deebakes
12-21-2012, 01:06 AM

I mean, I went through it, and yeah it's over the top sometimes, but yeah I just don't know how I feel about the whole thing, especially the felony charges.

:-s

Are you going to keep repeating what I say?

are you going to be consistent? :-k

RBP
12-21-2012, 01:08 AM
are you going to be consistent? :-k

:-s lolwut... you're confusing the old man!

Shady
12-21-2012, 03:42 AM
Apparently you didn't learn much 25 years ago. Or are you just going to blame it on these new-fangled machines.

RBP
12-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Apparently you didn't learn much 25 years ago. Or are you just going to blame it on these new-fangled machines.

So you think they are felons? Idk, dude... maybe I didn't learn much and I have a soft spot. I am trying to decide.

Shady
12-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Dammit you made me actually read the articles. I agree with the felony hazing charges. It's against the law, against school policy and aagainst my seldom listened to sense of morals.

But to get back to my post, reread all of your post and then explain to the class why we don't understand we're your view point is on this. Read carefully.

RBP
12-21-2012, 04:12 AM

Nah I was there 25 years ago so I am not familiar with the current guys.

Ok, so where am I inconsistent? You and Dee apparently have this figured out, but I am in the dark.

I think it's tragic to lose a young life, but I am not sure what happened was a felony.

Enlighten me.

deebakes
12-21-2012, 04:41 AM

:agreed: :gimme5:

RBP
12-21-2012, 04:43 AM
what are you two saying? Just come out with it. :x

deebakes
12-21-2012, 04:44 AM
:idk:

RBP
12-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Ok, now you're just fucking with me, Dee. :lol:

deebakes
12-21-2012, 04:48 AM
i don't think there is a smilie that would be able to answer, so it is too difficult for me to get in to :lol:

RBP
12-21-2012, 04:59 AM
dammit. :lol: