PDA

View Full Version : U.S. will sell its remaining GM stock at big loss

Teh One Who Knocks
12-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Nathan Bomey, Detroit Free Press

The U.S. government plans to sell 40% of its General Motors stock within weeks and sell the rest of its shares within 12 to 15 months, officials announced Wednesday.

In turn, GM said it would buy back 200 million shares from the U.S. Treasury as soon as January in a $5.5 billion deal. That would reduce the government stake from 26% to 19%.

Treasury's plan to liquidate its equity stake in GM by selling its remaining 300 million shares will end the government's ownership position in the automaker.

"This announcement is an important step in bringing closure to the successful auto industry rescue, it further removes the perception of government ownership of GM among customers, and it demonstrates confidence in GM's progress and our future," CEO Dan Akerson said.

GM said it would pay $27.50 per share in the buyback deal, a 7.9% premium over Tuesday's closing price of $25.49. The company will record a $400 million charge on its balance sheet in the fourth quarter.

At that share price, the government will take a loss. The government, which said it would sell the rest of its 300 million shares in an "orderly fashion" in the market, needed to sell its 500 million remaining shares at a price of about $53 to break even.

The government has said it wanted to balance its desire to get out of the auto business with the desire to recover more money for taxpayers.

Auto industry analysts have been expecting the Treasury to announce a resolution for its GM shares in early 2013. Some analysts have said a share buyback would be warmly received by the market and attract new investors to GM shares who have been scared off by the government's ownership position.

GM Chief Financial Officer Daniel Ammann said Wednesday that "from our point of view this is very attractive to the company and to shareholders."

"It obviously brings some clarity and certainty around the U.S. Treasury exit and the timing of that, which has been a question in the marketplace," Ammann said. "It's obviously good for the business because of the perception of goverment involvement in the company."

The government plans to immediately remove some restrictions it had placed on GM as result of the company's $49.5 billion bailout. The company will now be allowed to purchase corporate aircraft, for example.

"The auto industry rescue helped save more than a million jobs during a severe economic crisis, but TARP was always meant to be a temporary, emergency program. The government should not be in the business of owning stakes in private companies for an indefinite period of time," U.S. Treasury Assistant Secretary for Financial Stability Timothy Massad said.

"Moving to exit our investment in GM within the next 12 to 15 months is consistent with our dual goals of winding down TARP as soon as practicable and protecting taxpayer interests."

RBP
12-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Shocking. :|

PorkChopSandwiches
12-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Really....was it a "successful" bailout? How do they define successful?

Acid Trip
12-19-2012, 04:50 PM
How could this be? Obama told us the auto bailout was a complete success. :-k

Only a person with no real world business experience would consider a massive loss a "complete success".

PorkChopSandwiches
12-19-2012, 04:54 PM
:rofl:

He's the man of the year

Lambchop
12-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Obama bin tradin'.

Oofty Goofty
12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
So, the US taxpayers gave GM a $49.5B "loan" and they're going to pay us back $5.5B, and we're even-steven?

Shady
12-19-2012, 05:55 PM
GM was a loser anyways. Government is just like anyone else in the market, ya win some ya lose some. Hell last week the government unloaded its shares in AIG for a 22.7 billion dollar profit.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
So, the US taxpayers gave GM a $49.5B "loan" and they're going to pay us back $5.5B, and we're even-steven?

:hand: They made them stop buying the corporate jets, its even-steven now

Muddy
12-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Maybe China can buy it..

Noilly Pratt
12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
I heard that GM did things differently than Ford or Chrysler did with their bailouts and lost big time -- they decided to invest in Chinese production and as a result a lot of Chevys are really Daewoos rebadged. [-( No thanks.

The bar is much lower for vehicles in China...

http://youtu.be/vRlbVTNDJXE

I think GM will eventually go the way of American Motors Corp...

Teh One Who Knocks
12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I heard that GM did things differently than Ford or Chrysler did with their bailouts....

Ford took no bailout whatsoever from the Federal taxpayer.

Muddy
12-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Ford took no bailout whatsoever from the Federal taxpayer.

A Ford TV ad slams competitors for accepting bailout funds, even though the company’s CEO lobbied for the bill. The company — the only one of the Big Three not to receive a bailout — feared a collapse of GM and Chrysler at the time would have hurt suppliers and, in turn, Ford itself. Ford Chief Executive Officer Alan R. Mulally also asked Congress for a “credit line” of up to $9 billion in case the economy worsened.

In other words, Ford was for government bailouts before it was against them.

Although Ford did not need money from the $80 billion bailout program, Ford did receive $5.9 billion in government loans in 2009 to retool its manufacturing plants to produce more fuel-efficient cars, and the company lobbied for and benefited from the cash-for-clunkers program — contrary to the ad’s testimonial that Ford is “standing on their own.”

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

Hal-9000
12-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Obama bin tradin'.

:lol: nice..

I'll mention it again....when the overseas automakers (Asian) suffer a loss they pay their employees less and drop the price of the vehicle...how come US auto makers didn't try this drastic strategy? I watched the prices of American made cars during the outset of the recession and they went up in price if anything...they discontinued some lines and replaced them with shittier, other models.

Muddy
12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
:lol: nice..

I'll mention it again....when the overseas automakers (Asian) suffer a loss they pay their employees less and drop the price of the vehicle...how come US auto makers didn't try this drastic strategy? I watched the prices of American made cars during the outset of the recession and they went up in price if anything...they discontinued some lines and replaced them with shittier, other models.

UNIONS.. Remember that word.

Hal-9000
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh yes....I forgot about the little darlings who make 42/hr to attach rubber grommets to a frame....they could never take a pay cut to help their company :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-19-2012, 07:21 PM
the company is evil and owes them

Muddy
12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh yes....I forgot about the little darlings who make 42/hr to attach rubber grommets to a frame....they could never take a pay cut to help their company :lol:

Same for the guys squirting cream into twinkies at Hostess. :wank:

Hal-9000
12-19-2012, 10:05 PM
in our industry (printing) we have people doing mind numbingly boring repetitive tasks as a career....

you really have to understand the volume we produce everyday....millions of sheets of product

and our bindery workers will stand for nine hours, putting padding glue on things, cutting things, folding things....

jobs like that (and I imagine assembly line work) would be a punishment for me....I'd quit after day 2