PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's exec urges franchise operators to open on Christmas

Teh One Who Knocks
12-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Reuters News Service

http://i.imgur.com/ZL52c.jpg

LOS ANGELES — McDonald's Corp. is urging U.S. restaurant owners to take the unusual step of opening on Christmas Day to deliver the world's biggest hamburger chain with the gift of higher December sales, AdvertsingAge reported on Monday.

The request — which comes as McDonald's tangles with resurgent rivals such as Wendy's, Burger King and Yum Brands' Taco Bell chain — would be a break from company tradition of closing on major holidays.

"Starting with Thanksgiving, ensure your restaurants are open throughout the holidays," Jim Johannesen, chief operations officer for McDonald's USA, wrote in a Nov. 8 memo to franchisees — one of two obtained by AdvertisingAge.

"Our largest holiday opportunity as a system is Christmas Day. Last year, (company-operated) restaurants that opened on Christmas averaged $5,500 in sales," Johannesen said.

"The decision to open our restaurants on Christmas is in the hands of our owner/operators," McDonald's spokeswoman Heather Oldani told Reuters.

Leefro
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm not surprised by this

DemonGeminiX
12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
I say it's a douche-bag move, if you ask me.

Leefro
12-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Turkey Burgers AOTS