PDA

View Full Version : Sister, 19, accidentally shoots brother in the head while posing with gun for Facebook picture

Teh One Who Knocks
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
By Paul Thompson - The Daily Mail

A 19-year-old woman accidentally shot dead her brother while posing with a gun for Facebook photos on New Year's Eve.

Manuel Ortiz died instantly after being shot in the head at about 6am on Monday morning.

Family and friends wept as his body was carried from his apartment in Phoenix, Arizona, where the shooting took place.

Police said 22-year-old Ortiz and his sister Savannah Ramirez arrived back at the home they shared on New Year’s Eve after spending the night drinking.

http://i.imgur.com/9Weij.png

They were with two other people when someone in the group pulled out the handgun to take photos with it.

As the 19-year-old posed and played around with the weapon it went off striking Ortiz in the head, according to ABC15.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

It is not known if the group knew the handgun was loaded.

Police say she has been questioned and released pending further investigation in the case.

Phoenix Police Sgt Steve Martos said the victim's sister would likely be charged with manslaughter if tests conclude she had alcohol in her system.

'Every New Year's Eve, this particular sister is going to be thinking about this for the rest of her life on how...drinking overnight, playing with a gun and now shoots and kills her brother,' said Phoenix Police Sgt Steve Martos.

Friends said the shooting was a terrible accident.

One friend who wanted to remain anonymous said she wanted to remember Ortiz as a 'kind, funny guy he was'.

'He was a very close friend to everybody. He was just always there and it's sad because one second he's here and the other he's not.'

'Every time he saw somebody sad or down he would be right there making jokes so you could be happy. Even if he was just having a hard time he was always there for someone,' said the friend.

Authorities are looking into who owns the gun.

On both Manuel and his sister's Facebook pages there are numerous shots of them posing with guns and making gang symbols.

Goofy
01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
On both Manuel and his sister's Facebook pages there are numerous shots of them posing with guns and making gang symbols.

:roll: One less idiot in the world now i suppose.......

FBD
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM
wow...there you go, idiot, put the gun to your head, put your finger on the trigger...does nobody teach gun safety any longer?

redred
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
if the silly people keep doing this soon they'll have to take away all the guns

Muddy
01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Darwin

Softdreamer
01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
But guns don't kill people??!?:-k

FBD
01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
if the silly people keep doing this soon they'll have to take away all the guns

no faster way to instigate a revolution in this country

Teh One Who Knocks
01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
But guns don't kill people??!?:-k

That is a correct statement...the sister killed him, not the gun.

That gun could sit in their apartment for 100 years and the gun would not kill him (or anyone). It takes someone to pull the trigger to do the killing.

Softdreamer
01-03-2013, 04:50 PM
In that case, We should give everyone guns.

Speed up evolution.

Muddy
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
We all have them. :mrgreen:

Acid Trip
01-03-2013, 05:16 PM
We all have them. :mrgreen:

And if you don't have enough I have some you can borrow.

FBD
01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
just make sure you unload it before pointing it at your head, putting your finger in the trigger, and posing for facebook

Muddy
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
: duly noted:

redred
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
just make sure you unload it before pointing it at your head, putting your finger in the trigger, and posing for facebook

and do a duck face
http://i.imgur.com/kDSad.jpg

Loser
01-03-2013, 06:49 PM
I own nearly 2 dozen guns.

You know how many pictures I've taken with them?

Yea...Zero.

Lambchop
01-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Guns don't kill without human input but they give people the unnatural ability to kill many targets at a distance with precision and ease.

As for this case, one less gangbanger around :cheerlead:

FBD
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
as opposed to say a bow and arrow?

just remember, we've been conditioned to value our freedom and the ability for guns to protect that just as much as you've been conditioned to believe that guns are unnatural and bad :razz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

Hugh_Janus
01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
probably the funniest thing I've read all day :rofl:

Lambchop
01-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, if I held and shot a gun I'd probably want to keep one too.

http://i46.tinypic.com/29ghpqo.gif

They'd have to take it from my cold dead hands :lol:

Hal-9000
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
That is a correct statement...the sister killed him, not the gun.

That gun could sit in their apartment for 100 years and the gun would not kill him (or anyone). It takes someone to pull the trigger to do the killing.

If the gun wasn't in the apartment, no one would have died from a gunshot wound.

Hal-9000
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
as opposed to say a bow and arrow?

just remember, we've been conditioned to value our freedom and the ability for guns to protect that just as much as you've been conditioned to believe that guns are unnatural and bad :razz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

oh here we go again with the ' look at how this can kill people too ' :lol:

Okay FBD, we'll stand 50 meters apart, you get a bow and arrow and I get a gun. Ready, set...GO!

Just admit, a gun is the fastest, easiest way to kill another human when compared to knives, bows, wrenches and whiffle ball bats...

Teh One Who Knocks
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
If the gun wasn't in the apartment, no one would have died from a gunshot wound.

Right, because these 2 rocket scientists would have been discussing poetry or something like that instead...it was only the gun that was making them stupid ;)

FBD
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
oh here we go again with the ' look at how this can kill people too ' :lol:

Okay FBD, we'll stand 50 meters apart, you get a bow and arrow and I get a gun. Ready, set...GO!

Just admit, a gun is the fastest, easiest way to kill another human when compared to knives, bows, wrenches and whiffle ball bats...

and here we go again with that "if only guns had never existed" crap argument :razz: which is far more crap of an argument than bringing up the actual real world data on gun usage.

you might not want to take that bet, not knowing how good or not of a shot I am, especially if you have to use iron sights and a little weight on the trigger pull ;) the razors on them hunting arrows are sharp as fug :D

Hal-9000
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Right, because these 2 rocket scientists would have been discussing poetry or something like that instead...it was only the gun that was making them stupid ;)

Simple statement of fact....no gun in the apartment, no gun related death. Not much of a stretch.
They may have died from other stupidity, but that's not what the article is talking about.

Hal-9000
01-03-2013, 08:35 PM
and here we go again with that "if only guns had never existed" crap argument :razz: which is far more crap of an argument than bringing up the actual real world data on gun usage.

you might not want to take that bet, not knowing how good or not of a shot I am, especially if you have to use iron sights and a little weight on the trigger pull ;) the razors on them hunting arrows are sharp as fug :D

Never mentioned that at all. The story features a death by gunshot wound and you responded with a number of videos about bows and arrows.

If you think a gun is a slower, less lethal killing object than other hand held items.....I'll leave you in your world or belief :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM

crap argument....how about your statement about 'data'? What does that imply exactly?

Speaking of data how about if you get us the speed of thrown knife, an arrow shot from a bow (and we won't quibble on things like the time it takes to knock an arrow compared to pulling a trigger...) and then get me the speed of a bullet fired from a gun.

If you seriously think a bow and arrow is as fast and effective as a gun to kill someone, again....let's stand apart and do a test.

Muddy
01-03-2013, 09:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/R0JFb.jpg

Acid Trip
01-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Simple statement of fact....no gun in the apartment, no gun related death. Not much of a stretch.
They may have died from other stupidity, but that's not what the article is talking about.

No people in the apartment and nobody dies. No cameras in the apartment to take stupid photos and nobody dies.

There are lots of things that could have happened differently but didn't. I call that natural selection.

FBD
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Never mentioned that at all. The story features a death by gunshot wound and you responded with a number of videos about bows and arrows.

If you think a gun is a slower, less lethal killing object than other hand held items.....I'll leave you in your world or belief :thumbsup:context - that was in response to lamby's reply

crap argument....how about your statement about 'data'? What does that imply exactly?

Speaking of data how about if you get us the speed of thrown knife, an arrow shot from a bow (and we won't quibble on things like the time it takes to knock an arrow compared to pulling a trigger...) and then get me the speed of a bullet fired from a gun.

If you seriously think a bow and arrow is as fast and effective as a gun to kill someone, again....let's stand apart and do a test.

what does that imply? :lol:

I'll tell you what it doesnt imply - that stupid people who are eligible for darwin awards can save themselves, they will find a way to maim themselves one way or another!

what it does imply is that you are safer when you can reasonably protect yourself. (do we have to go back over those stats again? they are pretty unambiguous.)

fast and effective...sorry bro, I was subtly mocking picturing you using a gun :razz: I didnt say anything about projectile speed. but if you cant hit the broad side of a barn, then a good shot with an arrow will kill ya just the same (ok, the gore looks a little different...)

Hal-9000
01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
My new Ereader deflects bullets [-(

Godfather
01-04-2013, 02:37 AM
I own nearly 2 dozen guns.

You know how many pictures I've taken with them?

Yea...Zero.

Agreed. Not quite so many guns... but I certainly have never posed with one.

Some of our guns laws are too strict... but with 'restricted' weapons like handguns and assault rifles, it's against the law to show or display your firearms to others. They are to be trigger locked in a locked room/safe/case with the ammo kept separate. You can take it out to clean it, or to go to the range. That's it. And the Firearm's constable can show up at your house and ask to check on your security - If it's not good enough, you might have to tell a judge why you deserve your stuff back.

In states where you can keep a loaded weapon by your bedside, are there usually laws to mandate that guns be stored in a certain manor to ensure minimal safety standards? Unfortunately as they say, 'common sense isn't all that common.'

deebakes
01-04-2013, 02:45 AM
:rip:

RBP
01-04-2013, 02:50 AM
*pours a 40 on the curb*

Muddy
01-04-2013, 02:52 AM
*pour that shit in my glass*

deebakes
01-04-2013, 03:16 AM
i drank a bunch of 40's over the christmas break... i love me some colt 45 :tup:

RBP
01-04-2013, 03:19 AM
i drank a bunch of 40's over the christmas break... i love me some colt 45 :tup:

You're so ghetto.

deebakes
01-04-2013, 03:19 AM
got back to my roots :tup:

RBP
01-04-2013, 03:21 AM
got back to my roots :tup:

You go Kunta Kinte... ;)

deebakes
01-04-2013, 03:22 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/dzhspg.gif

RBP
01-04-2013, 03:23 AM
:dance:

FBD
01-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Agreed. Not quite so many guns... but I certainly have never posed with one.

Some of our guns laws are too strict... but with 'restricted' weapons like handguns and assault rifles, it's against the law to show or display your firearms to others. They are to be trigger locked in a locked room/safe/case with the ammo kept separate. You can take it out to clean it, or to go to the range. That's it. And the Firearm's constable can show up at your house and ask to check on your security - If it's not good enough, you might have to tell a judge why you deserve your stuff back.

In states where you can keep a loaded weapon by your bedside, are there usually laws to mandate that guns be stored in a certain manor to ensure minimal safety standards? Unfortunately as they say, 'common sense isn't all that common.'
you seriously have a firearms constable that can show up and demand to see your guns and security thereof?????