PDA

View Full Version : The Basement Recipe Thread...

Cactus
02-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Ok, a place to post your best recipes and good eats.

For the Super Bowl, I am going to make some Chili Verde...It is going to be my first attempt at this dish. I am using store brought Salsa Verde, but I am looking for a homemade recipe.

2 tbsp canola oil
2 lb of pork shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of chicken broth
15 oz of salsa of verde
1 medium onion
1 large green bell pepper
8 corn tortillas
(2 limes optional)

1-heat oil in large skillet. season pork with salt and pepper. in batches, add pork cubes and sear them on all sides until there are caramlized on the outside but still raw in the center. (don't over corwd them or they with steam not brown). transfer to a slow cooker or ovenpot.

2-add broth to the hot skilletand use a spatula to scrape any bits of pork from skillet. pour broth over pork in the pot, add salsa verde, onion and bell pepper.

3-For slow cooker: cook for 4hours on high or 8 hour on low, until meat is extremely tender. For ovenpot, cook in a 300 F over for 2 hours

4-serve in bowls, use hot tortillas and lime chunks for tacos

makes 8 servings; per serving: 450 calories, 28 grams of protien 22g carbs 27 g fat.

DemonGeminiX
02-06-2011, 03:50 AM
I'm taking the low road tomorrow. I'm making beef burritos, but I'm not making them special or anything. Cook the 1 lb ground beef, crack open the cans of Old El Paso Red Chile Enchilada Sauce and dump 3/4 of it into the beef, maybe dice up a small potato into 1/4 inch cubes and throw them into the beef. Load up the burrito tortillas with the beef mixture and mexican cheese, roll them up, put them in a greased baking dish, dump a reserved amount of that Enchilada sauce and some cheese over top of them, throw them into a 375° oven for a few minutes and voila!

:lol:

Cactus
02-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Nice, DGX. I am trying to learn how to cook a little more. So once a month, I have been having a Sunday dinner for my friends. I am the main dish which has usually been a crock pot recipe and they bring beer, booze, or sides. It is kinda of nice. I want some new things to try.

Southern Belle
02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Food Network website has good recipes for anything you can think of and they rate them for ease of preparation. The only thing I don't like is that some of them have so many ingredients that they get overwhelming.

Noilly Pratt
02-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Maybe we can inspire each other with semi-easy yet tasty recipie's here? I have a few recipies I'll look up once I'm back near the kitchen (in bed at the moment with the notebook).

Cactus
02-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Maybe we can inspire each other with semi-easy yet tasty recipie's here? I have a few recipies I'll look up once I'm back near the kitchen (in bed at the moment with the notebook).

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

thats what I am looking for

Southern Belle
02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Taco Soup
1 lb ground beef
1 lg onion
1 can chopped green chilis
1 lg can diced tomatoes
1 pk taco seasoning
1 pk ranch dressing mix
2 cans bean, black, pinto, kidney any combination
2 C water
Brown beef and onion until cooked through in a big pot or dutch oven. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour until cooked through and flavors blended. Serve with tortilla chips or corn bread, sour cream, shredded cheese.

Godfather
02-14-2011, 07:10 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/15cngbk.jpg

Max
02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Mrs Fields chocolate chip cookie recipe...so I was told anyway

http://i55.tinypic.com/330b7gy.jpg

beowulf
02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
interesting thread.............cos i am on a forum mostly inhabited by women and they have a similar thread..........ive been contributing someof my faves on there so it will be easy for me to cut n paste

moroccan lamb tagine

its basically a sweet n spicy stew with fruit in it :yumyum:

i shall write it how it is then tell you how i do it a little different

supposedly serves 4.....(not a chance!....too scrummy to share with so many!....... :pmsl: ....3 is a better figure i would guess)
20 mins preperation, 1 hr 40 min cooking (if you do it like the recipe says ;) )

370 cal per serving

450 gram of lean leg steak cubed
1 large onion sliced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 lamb stock cube in 600 ml of boiling water
100 gram of ready to eat dried apricots
salt and black pepper

1... heat large saucepan and add a little cooking oil, add cubed lamb until browned on all sides
2....add onion and cook for 2/3 minutes
3..add ginger, cinnamon,coriander and cook for further 2 mins
4....pour in stock.bring to boil, cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours until meat is tender
4...add the apricots, cook uncovered for 15-30 mins so that the liquid reduces
5.....season with salt and pepper and serve

now how i do it......... :D

we often have this on a monday if we have had roast lamb on a sunday so we use the left overs up...also done it with roast beef which works just as well.............pork didnt work too well tho
since the meat has alredy been cooked theres no need to treat it as uncooked and simmer it for so long......it just needs reheating
i tend to cook the onion....THEN add the meat.........before i add the spices, and i add more of the spices...maybe an extra half to a full teaspoon of each......but you can add more as it progresses if you want it a little more spicey
i let it simmer for about 20 mins, then add the apricots which i tend to cut in half rather than leave whole...the apricots add a sweetness to it all
let it simmer for another 10 min............then thicken with corn flour......i like it so it isnt very runny, more of a thick sticky stew if that makes sense
make sure you stir it very often to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan
you are supposed to have it with cous cous for true moroccan style but we like it with either steamed new potatoes or mashed potatoes, and a green veg such as green beans

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I like to use leftovers in soups, stew & stir fries. :tup:

beowulf
02-20-2011, 08:00 PM
tuna balti
serves 2
25 min prep and cooking time
210 cals per serving

2 medium onions sliced
300 gram (but i tend to use 400 to 500g) of mixed veg sliced thinly eg, red/green peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, baby sweetcorns, sugar snap peas
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 inch bit of root ginger (i use 2 teaspoons of lazy ginger)
1 medium sized green chili deseeded and chopped finely
2/3 tablespoons of 0% fat greek style natural yogurt
1/2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1/2 to 1 tablespoon of medium curry powder
200 g can of tuna (in brine or spring water NOT oil)drained and broken up
1 table spoon of creme freche
3 tablespoons of water

i use a wok for this

splash of oil and fry the onion til soft @5 mins
add veg and stir fry for 5 mins til cooked
stir in garlic, ginger, chilli, yogurt, tomato puree, curry powder and the water..
heat til simmering, cover with 'lid' and cook for 5 mins more
remove lid, add tuna and creme freche, stir...add salt n pepper to taste
give it a ferw mins for the tuna to heat thro

serve with rice and a nan bread and any thing else you like with a ruby murry

beowulf
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
mushroom curry

serves 2
30 mins prep and cooking time
95 cals per serving
2 sliced medium onions
300 g of mixed mushrooms thickly sliced or halved (i tend to use a full tub of the cheap mushies from asda which i think is 500g)
2 crushed garlic cloves
2/3 teaspoons of medium strength curry powder
1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds (i just use cround cumin to be honest cos its whats in the cupboard)
3/4 tablespoons of tomato puree
4 tablespoons of low fat plain bio yogurt
salt n pepper to taste

big pan, bit of oil, gently stirfry the onions for @8 mins til soft but do not burn!
add all the other ingrediants and heat gently til simmering...........cover with lid and cook for 10 mins...........stir every few mins
remove lid and cook for 2/3 mins to reduce/thicken sauce
season and serve
nice with rice and a nan bread

Mick
02-25-2011, 12:59 PM
love it :) i may become a regular here.

one of my inventions so to speak.. easy and impresses the ladies (least that's what they told me :( probably just tiring to get into my pants :( )

not good at writing recipes so bare with me.

Crispy Prosciutto Rolled Chicken Thighs With a Cream and white wine sauce.

serves um... lets go with 4

4 x Skinless Chicken thigh Fillets
4 x full slices of Prosciutto (thinly Sliced)
good nob of butter
fresh herbs.. parsley/basil maybe some thyme or oregano? (chopped)
crushed garlic
sliced tasty or cheddar cheese
half cup dry white wine
half cup full cream
tablespoon of corn flour
few shallots
tin foil
olive oil
rock salt

roll out tin foil and lightly dress with olive oil.
lay slices of Prosciutto one touching the next
Trim the thighs and place on top of the Prosciutto
mix butter, herbs teaspoon of garlic (season well)
spread over the thighs and add slices of cheese.
use the foil to tightly roll the contents into a long sausage shape, twist ends to firm up..

line baking tray with rock salt and place rolled chicken. (stops chicken from browning)
pre heat oven to 180c and cook for 20 mins.

remove from oven and unwrap , if the chicken was rolled tight it should stay together fine.
slice between the thighs so you end up with single thighs wrapped in Prosciutto.

heat fry pan and add olice oil, brown the individual thighs so Prosciutto crisps up.
remove and set aside.

add shallots to pan and another tea spoon of garlic , sweat until clear and add white wine to de-glaze
reduce heat and stir in cream (reserve some to make a slurry with the corn flour) add corn flour slurry and season well.
Throw some fresh basil in and remove from heat.

to serve place sauce on plate topped with rolled chicken.

nice sides would be steamed baby broccoli , roasted baby bunch carrots and potatoes gratins

fuck i hope that made sense ;-k

Mick
02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/15cngbk.jpg

theres no green stuff in them brownies???

beowulf
02-25-2011, 08:42 PM
coriander mince beef

serves 4 (alledgedly)
30 mins prep and cook
175 cals per serving

2 med onions thinly sliced
250 g of mince beef (ive done it with turkey mince tho)
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 inch of grated ginger (i use 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of lazy ginger
2 med green chillis, 1 med red chili....deseeded and chopped finely
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon of medium curry powder
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
2 or 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
400 gram tine of chopped tomatoes
4/5 tablespoons of frozen peas

fry the onions in a little oil for @8 mins til soft but not burnt
add the meat and fry for @3 mins til brown
add all the other ingrediants cept the peas.......heat till simmering, cover with lid, cook for 10 mins, stir often
add peas, cover again, cook for 5 mins
season to taste

serve with rice, etc

Southern Belle
02-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I'll add some more when I can use both hands to type again...

Muddy
05-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Im making some Collard Greens right now....

1 cup of chicken broth ,
1/4 cup of water,
few shakes of cayenne,
few shakes of onion powder,
2 strips of bacon

put in a pot and cooked 20 twenty some minutes...

Cactus
05-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Nice MG, I went to a BBQ place this week and my date and I split a combo plate. Their collard greens looked great but she did want them had to get a different side. Was kinda of disappointing.

Tonites Sunday dinner (from Men's Health):

Enchilada Lasagna

1/2 lb ground turkey breast
1 1/2 c reduced-fat Mexican-blend or Cheddar cheese
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup low-fat, low-sodium cottage cheese
1/4 cup canned jalapeņo peppers, diced
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 tsp chili powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
9 6" corn tortillas
1 cup taco sauce

1. Brown the turkey in a nonstick skillet. Let it cool, then combine it in a bowl with the cheese (reserving 1/2 c), tomatoes, cottage cheese, peppers, scallions, chili powder, and garlic, stirring well.

2. Coat an 11" x 7" baking dish with cooking spray. Place three tortillas in the dish and top with half of the turkey mixture. Layer three more tortillas, then the remaining turkey mixture. Place the last three tortillas on top, pour taco sauce over them, and sprinkle with 1/2 c cheese.

3. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes. Makes 4 servings

Per serving 437 calories, 34 g protein, 43 g carbs, 11 g fat (6 g saturated), 893 mg sodium, 3 g fiber

I have had it before but this time I am leaving out the cottage cheese.

DemonGeminiX
03-04-2013, 02:54 AM
:bump:

KevinD
03-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Necroed up! Hmm, never knew about this threa. Will work out the salsa recipe as well as one for my semi patented potato and cheese soup, along with any others I can think of.

Cactus
03-04-2013, 05:43 AM
My simple salsa recipe. This a more Pico de Gallo type salsa.

4 ripe Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped (or more to taste!)
2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
salt
Directions:

1 Combine all ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
2 This tastes best the same day that it's made, but is okay the next day

Quick tip. Put on a part of gloves when you de-seed the jalapenos. There is nothing worst then touching your eye an hour later and having it burn.

Hal-9000
05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Minz pm'ed this to me :thumbsup:

Toast

ingredients: 1 to 12 slices of bread. Condiment of your choice. Plate. Knife.

Insert bread into toaster, push button down
Wait 3 minutes
Remove bread from toaster

Lightly garnish with your choice of butter, margarine, cream cheese, jam, jelly, cheese...let your imagination run wild!

Yield: 1 to 12 people :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
05-08-2013, 06:47 PM
:dance: :rolleyes: