PDA

View Full Version : 127 Hours - film discussion *SPOILERS*

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2011, 11:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/MOTsO.jpg

I just watched this over the weekend, and the more I think about it, the more I actually dislike the main character (the person it's based on, not Franco the actor).

He did absolutely everything wrong that one could do when going out into the backcountry. Yet the film is called 'uplifting' and 'triumphant'. Not once during the entire film did I feel even the tiniest bit of sympathy for him. Not ever. And while the film was well done considering what they had to work with, I can't for the life of me figure out why it was up for so many awards. :wha:

Thoughts?

Goofy
04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I agree, the guy's a muppet :lol: You don't go away out into the middle of nowhere alone without letting people know where you are and when you're due back. I personally thought the film was a bit boring tbh :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
I agree, the guy's a muppet :lol: You don't go away out into the middle of nowhere alone without letting people know where you are and when you're due back. I personally thought the film was a bit boring tbh :wha:

Thank you! I thought it was boring too....it was 93 minutes long and they could have done it in half that time.

I live in a state where there is remote backcountry and I have been out in it. The only boneheaded thing I have done is gone alone (which you should never do either), but I had a cell phone with me (even better if you are going to be in the really remote areas is to have a sat phone) and I always told people where I was going, when I was leaving, and what time (roughly) I should be back.

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I think that was perhaps the entire point of the film you guys :lol:

He admitted afterwards that it changed his life, because he was selfish that way.He would go out alone and fear nothing.A lot of his images/dreams made the same point.That he wasn't just affecting himself by his actions, he was affecting everyone who knew him.A hard lesson learned considering what he lost and what he had to do to arrive at that conclusion.

I've read a lengthy article he wrote and also saw an interview he did, he freely admits the revelations above.One of the cool things about the movie, is that everything is recreated down to the fissure he was stuck in.All of the gear, his posture...everything.It's really creepy to see the actual pictures he took and then compare them with the movie.

I liked the movie and the way it was filmed.It didn't lag for me and I thought the last 15 minutes was some of the most intense film making I've seen in a long time.Apparently he had the visions of his unborn son that the movie portrayed.None of it was made up.

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
oh..and he said he was actually laughing maniacally as he was cutting his arm off.Due to heat exhaustion, lack of food and shock... he said that he was so happy to break the bone and finally get a good open wound going :shock:

I've seen the actual 'knife' he used....ffs it was smaller than a pen knife you give someone as a gift.Dull, dirty and about 1.25 inches long.Whether he was a dick or not isn't the question for me, it's the measure of his personal strength I found amazing.He said he wasn't actually worried until the later half of day 3, another testament to his bravado/pride/stupidity.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
They call the film a triumphant true story....it should have been called a lesson in moronic stupidity. To me, they were still glorifying the recklessness...look, here's a story of a guy that did everything wrong! You too can defeat the backcounty with nothing more than a penknife and a 1 liter water bottle!

:|

Like I said, even though this is based on a true story, he is easily the most unsympathetic character I have seen in any film in a long time. I didn't care that he lived and I was fairly bored during the entire film.

I respect your take on it though Hal, that's why I wanted to start this thread. :)

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 09:26 PM
I guess I viewed it with a less critical eye :lol: You make it sound like the guy deserved it.I do know that there a lot of people just like him.
I do it every year and have met folks out alone hiking on quite a few occasions.

Maybe the film will help serve as a warning to others.

I liked the way it played out because you knew going in to the movie what 'the main event' was going to be.He did spend 5 days out there and insofar as the pacing, 90 minutes seemed appropriate to me.

I can't honestly see how anyone could be bored watching that film, but that's the beauty of personal opinion.Yours sucks and I agree with the rest of the world :dance:

*cuts off arm and leaves thread*

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I was curious about those two girls he met before it happened....haven't read anything on them and he/them did take some video of their swimming fun.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
You make it sound like the guy deserved it

Because he did ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I was curious about those two girls he met before it happened....haven't read anything on them and he/them did take some video of their swimming fun.

Maybe was added to make the guy more 'likable' or sympathetic....didn't work for me, I still hated him

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 09:39 PM
There's some horrible game show out now...Minute to Win It? (white haired idiot host)

Anyways my pa was watching it one night and Aaron was on it as a contestant.He mentioned on the show how the experience changed him from being a selfish twerp to a different person.I think his wife/girlfriend was in the audience and she was nodding in agreement too :lol:

Not to be too much of a dick...but the real guy isn't that much of a looker.Maybe his selfishness or need to be alone testing himself, is derived out of that? Self esteem issues and not much contact with the fairer sex? I really can't see how you hate the character that much from just the movie portrayal :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I haven't hated anyone in a film this much since that other one based on a true story where that moron goes up into the Alaskan wilderness by himself...I was rooting for him to die in that one too :lol:

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 11:24 PM
:lol:

I loved that movie too...what a horrible man you are :lol:

Hugh_Janus
04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
spoilers? really? :lol:

Hal-9000
04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
spoilers? really? :lol:

you laugh...I know a chick who had no idea the guy cuts him arm off when she and her buddies watched it.
They thought it was an endurance movie about biking :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
:lol:

I loved that movie too...what a horrible man you are :lol:

I prefer to see stupid people get what's coming to them :hand:

Hal-9000
04-21-2011, 06:02 PM
I prefer to see stupid people get what's coming to them :hand:

You admit to hiking alone :slap:

so now you are a hater of yourself...a masterhater

:dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-21-2011, 06:03 PM
You admit to hiking alone :slap:

so now you are a hater of yourself...a masterhater

:dance:

I never said I went hiking alone, I said I've been in the backcountry alone :nono:

:slap:

Hal-9000
04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I never said I went hiking alone, I said I've been in the backcountry alone :nono:

:slap:

and did you float on a carpet Aladdin or did you perhaps WALK on foot for a bit??

= hiking

= don't piss me off woman, it's been a bad day already :slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
and did you float on a carpet Aladdin or did you perhaps WALK on foot for a bit??

= hiking

= don't piss me off woman, it's been a bad day already :slap:

I drove...in a 4WD vehicle :slap:

And my bad day started at 4:30, so bring it :x

Hal-9000
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
:x

Sooooo......what are you doing tomorrow Lance?

I'll be reclining nekkid at home ALL DAY and getting paid for it :dance:

Hal-9000
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
I drove...in a 4WD vehicle :slap:

Lazy hiker or what......pfffffffffttttttt

AntZ
04-21-2011, 10:46 PM
I agree with the view that the guy was an arrogant, self indulging prick!

I've been a cyclist for years, and I ALWAYS map out my routes and let my wife know where I'm going with great detail! Almost every mountain bike trail in the mountains around me have some sort of cliff or drops. At any time by mistake or mechanical failure, I could wind up down a hillside in the trees. As a precaution, I always take my phone and a loud whistle in my bag! At least help can come my way if I don't return, and I can signal them if I'm not unconscious.

The movie is far from being "uplifting", it's just more a story about an asshole seeing the light and now joining the world of commonsense.

I have always had the same disgust for those tear jerking documentary stories about the idiots that go climb Mt. Everest and die and leave their family without a parent and income. Or they return home an invalid missing a half dozen body parts from frostbite. Then they drum on honoring them for "chasing their dream" SHUT THE FUCK UP! Now you're a helpless slug or dead, and an adventure photo doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. Chase your dreams when people aren't depending on you.

Hal-9000
04-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Very good points Antz :thumbsup:

I'm like the guy in the movie, no one depends on me so tomorrow I'm going bungee jumping off of the Eiffel Tower