PDA

View Full Version : Bed bugs invade Mesa apartments

Teh One Who Knocks
01-04-2013, 11:56 AM
by Jared Dillingham - The Arizona Republic

http://i.imgur.com/RmQ44.jpg

MESA, Ariz. -- The uproar over bed bugs may have settled, but the creepy-crawlers are still a problem.

The Sendero Ridge Apartments in Mesa are dealing with an infestation, according to residents.

"I've got bites on my stomach. My dad has bites all over his back. It's not healthy," Shannon Amy told 3TV.

She says managers have sent exterminators to her part of the complex several times, but the bugs have survived.

Swiping a spoon across the Amy family's couch scoops up living and dead bed bugs, their shells, and egg sacks.

A secretary in the leasing office says managers are still on holiday vacation.

"The landlords just aren't taking care of the problem," Amy said.

"It doesn't seem relevant or important enough for them to do something about it," added Missi Finlay, who lives upstairs.

Finlay says their entire building in the large complex seems to be infested.

"It's extremely disgusting. If I find one in my bed I freak. It's just really gross."

Several of the residents say they simply cannot afford to break their leases and move.

"I don't get paid enough to up and quit my lease and get my own place," Finlay told 3TV.

Shannon Amy and her father moved out Wednesday, thanks to help from extended family.

They are forced to leave all of their clothing, furniture, and electronics behind, to prevent spreading the bugs to their new home.

"We've already thrown away 10 couches," Amy said.

The Maricopa County Environmental Services Department sent an inspector to the Sendero Ridge Apartments after a resident's complaint in 2011, but the file has since been closed. No other more recent complaints have been filed with the agency.