PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's expands test flight for chicken wings

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/JrlFZ.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — First there were McNuggets. Then there were Chicken McBites. Now McDonald's could be adding "Mighty Wings" to its chicken menu.

The world's biggest hamburger chain is set to expand its test of chicken wings to Chicago this week, after a successful run in Atlanta last year. The wings are being sold in servings of three, five or 10 pieces with prices starting at $3, according to Lynne Collier, an analyst with Sterne Agee.

A spokeswoman for McDonald's confirmed the test in Chicago would start this week at about 500 restaurants but said there weren't any plans yet to bring the wings to other cities. She noted that no new sauces were being offered with the wings and that the creamy ranch sauce would be the default dipping sauce.

Fast-food chains typically test items in select markets before taking them national. But for McDonald's, which has 14,000 U.S. locations, adding chicken wings to the permanent lineup could be tricky.

Prices for chicken wings have been climbing over the past year, reflecting an increase in the number of restaurants serving them, said David Harvey, an agriculture economist who specializes in poultry and eggs at the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In December, the cost of wings in the wholesale market in the Northeast was 26 percent higher than a year ago. Wings sold for $1.90 a pound that month, compared with $1.30 a pound for boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

And prices could continue to climb with demand remaining high.

Rather than becoming a permanent part of the menu, McDonald's could offer the dish for a limited time; the chain has said it plans to ramp up the frequency of such special offers as a way to give customers more variety. But whether it will offer "Mighty Wings" even on a limited-time basis will likely depend on McDonald's ability to get wings at reasonable prices, said Collier, the analyst with Sterne Agee.

There could be other challenges. Richard Adams, a former McDonald's franchisee who now runs a consulting firm for franchisees, said that menu items generally don't work unless they can be eaten easily in the car. He noted that the majority of McDonald's food is purchased at the drive-thru.

This isn't the first time McDonald's is offering wings, however. According to the National Chicken Council, McDonald's first introduced them in 1990 at some locations, prompting other fast-food chains to follow suit. A McDonald's representative wasn't able to immediately provide the history of "Mighty Wings."

The latest test comes amid intensifying competition for McDonald's, which for years had outperformed rivals such as Burger King and Wendy's with a steady stream of new menu items, such as snack wraps, fruit smoothies and specialty coffee drinks. But now Burger King and Wendy's are working to revamp their images and menus.

This past spring, Burger King launched its biggest ever menu expansion to include its own snack wraps, fruit smoothies and specialty coffee drinks. And last week, the Miami-based chain even introduced chicken nuggets that more closely resemble McNuggets, replacing the chicken tenders it previously sold.

In addition, McDonald's is facing competition from newer chains such as Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. and Panera Bread Co., which serve higher-quality food for slightly higher prices. In October, McDonald's said a key sales figure dropped for the first time in nearly a decade. The figure rebounded in November after the Oak Brook, Ill., company said it would return to emphasizing its Dollar Menu to lure price-conscious diners.

Hal-9000
01-07-2013, 11:24 PM
wings are over rated...

when I used to drink guys would fall all over themselves for wing-night (25 cents a wing..oh boy!). They have no meat on them and are just an exercise of seeing which supplier can soak the nastiest hot sauce on them....they're busy-food with no payoff :hand:

Griffin
01-07-2013, 11:29 PM
So a 3 piece serving is really only 1 1/2 wings. That's why I hate buying wings in restaurants.
They cut 1 wing in half and sell 2 totally different parts as 2 wings.
I can't order just "wingettes" or "drumettes" as I wish, they mix them up and dish up haphazardly.

...just another case of the establishment keeping me down.

Muddy
01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
wings are over rated...

Blasphemer..

:hand:

Hal-9000
01-07-2013, 11:55 PM
they're like celery...it takes more energy to eat them than what you get back...

give me some nice chicky breasts or thighs.....that's eatin! :thumbsup:

Muddy
01-07-2013, 11:57 PM
they're like celery...it takes more energy to eat them than what you get back...

give me some nice chicky breasts or thighs.....that's eatin! :thumbsup:

You dont know how to pick them dude.. You can take the flapper portion and do a skilled break and then pull and get nothing but goodness without all the picky picking with your teeth.. (Oh yeah, also throw a good blue cheese dunk in there)

Hal-9000
01-07-2013, 11:58 PM
We probably get tiny pigeon wings up here compared to your mighty American pelican wings

:sad2:

Muddy
01-07-2013, 11:59 PM
We probably get tiny pigeon wings up here compared to your mighty American pelican wings

:sad2:

Hooters serves parakeet wings.. But BW3's is nice... You'd like that place..

Hal-9000
01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I think I ate 30 of them one night (with about 2 jugs of draft beer)

was still lookin for more afterwards....it's just not what I'd call food

Muddy
01-08-2013, 12:15 AM
I think I ate 30 of them one night (with about 2 jugs of draft beer)

was still lookin for more afterwards....it's just not what I'd call food

10 or 15 nice wings and you'll be fine at bw3's

Godfather
01-08-2013, 03:15 AM
Cheap wing nights are great for nights out with the the boys. You can justify the destruction of 60+ dead birds at one hungry table alone.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Dead bird :homer:

RBP
01-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Chicago you say? :-k

I'll report back if I see them.

Godfather
01-08-2013, 03:22 AM
My favorite is always sweet chili. That shit is addicting. I buy the sauce and put it on all sorts of random stuff now. I used to eat it on those store-bought frozen pierogis when I was a broke college kid. :lol:

deebakes
01-08-2013, 03:23 AM

:wank:

RBP
01-08-2013, 03:25 AM

I get confused on the names... what used to be BW3 is now Buffalo Wild Wings, correct? name company they just changed the name?

RBP
01-08-2013, 03:25 AM
:wank:

No dipping sauce thanks. :|

deebakes
01-08-2013, 03:33 AM
I get confused on the names... what used to be BW3 is now Buffalo Wild Wings, correct? name company they just changed the name?

bw3 = buffalo wild wings

deebakes
01-08-2013, 03:35 AM
Dear Buffalo Wild Wings-

Are you the same company as BW-3?

Signed deebakes

Response:

Yes, when we opened our first location in 1982, our original name was Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck - thus the BW-3.

We're sure this poses another question? What the Heck is a Weck?? A Weck is short for kimmelweck, a Kaiser roll seasoned with special toppings. These tasty rolls are popular on the East Coast and were served at our restaurants when we first opened. In 1998, we officially changed our name to Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar to better describe our restaurants.

Godfather
01-08-2013, 03:47 AM
Chicago you say? :-k

I'll report back if I see them.

Oh dude we need pics!

RBP
01-08-2013, 03:51 AM
Dear Buffalo Wild Wings-

Are you the same company as BW-3?

Signed deebakes

Response:

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think you are making fun of me. :-s

deebakes
01-08-2013, 05:34 AM
not at all, just it was a yahoo question and answer :lol:

RBP
01-08-2013, 05:36 AM
I do tend to ask a question here that I should just google :lol:

deebakes
01-08-2013, 05:41 AM
:lol:

lost in melb.
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
You guys make me grin from ear to ear..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
wings are over rated...

Go shove your face in some poutine you moose lover :hand:

Not sure what kind of crappy Hooters restaurants you have out there, but every single one I have been to in the Denver area have huge wings.

Muddy
01-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Not sure what kind of crappy Hooters restaurants you have out there, but every single one I have been to in the Denver area have huge wings.

These things are franchises.. Apparently the company that owns the five restaurants in VA has changed food distributors (per their manager)...

redred
01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
some kid will choke on a bone, family will sue McDonalds , McDonalds will take tham back off sale :tup: either that or they will somehow print 'this wing may contain bones' on each wing to cover their ass's

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
These things are franchises.. Apparently the company that owns the five restaurants in VA has changed food distributors (per their manager)...

That sucks and I'd be pissed as a customer...I like Hooters wings. Usually I get the 3 Mile Island ones and they are perfect.

Muddy
01-08-2013, 02:17 PM
That sucks and I'd be pissed as a customer...I like Hooters wings. Usually I get the 3 Mile Island ones and they are perfect.

I am pissed.. I used to be a regular there..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
:villagers:

TBH, I go to BWW more than Hooters only because they are closer and have good wings too. There's a Hooters not too far from me, but it's the worst one in Denver, mostly because of the layout of the restaurant. They made it cafeteria style for some reason so when it's crowded you can barely hear yourself talk over all the noise. :wha:

Muddy
01-08-2013, 02:31 PM
The thing I love about BW3's over Hooters is the no breading thing.. That and the 50 choices of flavors.. Have you tried the dry rubbed wings? Man they're nice..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
You can get wings unbreaded at Hooters....you just have to order them 'naked'

And BWW here doesn't have that many flavors....maybe 16 or so :-k

Muddy
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM
You can get wings unbreaded at Hooters....you just have to order them 'naked'

And BWW here doesn't have that many flavors....maybe 16 or so :-k

Yeah Naked is how is was ordering them... But when they changed distributors naked + the smaller wings was ridiculous.. I swear I could easily do 30 wings.. It pissed me off..

Your probably right about the 16 flavors at BW3's..

16 sauces

5 dry rubs..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I haven't been brave enough to try the hottest wings at BWW....I tried one down from the hottest and those were a struggle to eat

Muddy
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Try the "desert heat" its a dry rub..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
I might do that next time :)

Usually I go with the Hot BBQ

Muddy
01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I also like the Parmesan Garlic and the Asian one I think...