PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Colorado bill would let parents buy alcohol for adult kids

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
The Associated Press

DENVER (AP) - Parents could be able buy alcohol for their children at Colorado bars and restaurants if they were 18 and older but not 21 yet, under a proposal by a Republican lawmaker.

Sen. Greg Brophy is introducing the bill for the legislative session that begins Wednesday. He says he thought of the proposal because he and his wife recently took their daughter to dinner to celebrate her 20th birthday, and she couldn't have a drink with them.

Brophy says he also wants parents of returning servicemen to be able to buy their children drinks at bars or restaurants.

He says the bill would allow parents to buy their adult children drinks in any place that allows on-premise alcohol consumption. Wisconsin has a similar law.

lost in melb.
01-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Sounds like common sense to me...:-k

redred
01-08-2013, 01:20 PM
makes sense

Acid Trip
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
That's weird. In Texas a parent can give their child alcohol at any age.

For example, if a parent sits down at a table with their 12 year old and orders 2 long island iced teas, the server brings them, then the parent passes one to the kid there's no law being broken.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-08-2013, 07:05 PM
In public? Not here, I dont think its illegal at home though

Hal-9000
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Not sure on Canada....I think our laws are more basic. No one under 18 can consume alcohol I think...

Pony
01-08-2013, 09:06 PM
That's weird. In Texas a parent can give their child alcohol at any age.

For example, if a parent sits down at a table with their 12 year old and orders 2 long island iced teas, the server brings them, then the parent passes one to the kid there's no law being broken.

I believe it's the same here in Ohio. As long as it's the parent or legal guardian it's OK. Of course in reality if a parent gave their kid one drink in public I'm sure someone would start screaming "child abuse" and call the police. Police would call child services to inspect every aspect of your lives, etc.

DemonGeminiX
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
It sounds like good common sense to me, but I personally believe that if they're old enough to die for their country then they should be old enough to drink. Or if at least they sign up to serve their country, then they should be able to drink.

Acid Trip
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I believe it's the same here in Ohio. As long as it's the parent or legal guardian it's OK. Of course in reality if a parent gave their kid one drink in public I'm sure someone would start screaming "child abuse" and call the police. Police would call child services to inspect every aspect of your lives, etc.

My wife was a bartender when we met and she ran into this issue several times.

If you refuse to serve the patron two drinks (one of which goes to their child) it's discriminatory. It's the same thing if you refuse to serve an obviously pregnant woman.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
It sounds like good common sense to me, but I personally believe that if they're old enough to die for their country then they should be old enough to drink. Or if at least they sign up to serve their country, then they should be able to drink.

:qft:

RBP
01-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Yeah I don't really have an issue with this... but who assumes the liability, the parents?

Lambchop
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
I'm thinking about taking a trip over there and buying some kids some whiskey and a couple of joints each.

RBP
01-09-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm thinking about taking a trip over there and buying some kids some whiskey and a couple of joints each.

and then fucking them

redred
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
no leave that to their teachers

Godfather
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Seems like a good idea. I'm still surprised the drinking age hasn't been lowered a couple of years in the US.

My parents used to give me a couple of beers to take to parties in grade 12 (age 16-17). They saved themselves and me a lot of trouble. No issues with getting in trouble outside the liquor store, they knew what I had to drink wasn't enough to screw me up, and it kind of just fostered honesty from me.

Other friends would sneak around and chug whatever they could get their hands on, on Friday nights, usually puking or occasionally getting a ride home from the police. :lol:

RBP
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Meanwhile in Illinois:

A law taking effect Jan. 1 will crack down on parents who allow minors to drink anywhere on their property, expanding on the current law that specifies it is illegal to let minors drink at their home.

The law, which Amends the Liquor Control Act of 1934 — Public Act 97-1049 —makes it a misdemeanor carrying a $500 fine for any adult to knowingly permit minors under the age of 21 to drink alcohol on their property or in their home. If the violation results in bodily harm or death, the adult will be charged with a Class 4 felony.

The provision also strikes the requirement that the person in the home knows about the underage drinking activity.

In addition, a parent or guardian who knowingly allows a minor to use their property in a way that violates the act's prohibited sales and possession provisions is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

DUI attorney Donald Ramsell, of Ramsell & Associates, said the law goes too far in its attempt to punish parents when teenagers drink, forcing them to act like police officers any time teenagers visit their homes.

"The old law carried penalties only when parents actually authorized the drinking or actually knew it was occurring. This new law would put a parent in jail for up to 1 year simply because they failed to prevent underage drinking on their properties," he said.

If an adult calls the police for assistance with getting rid of anyone breaking the rules on their property, he or she would not be in violation of the act, according to the release.

FBD
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
:policestate: we'll exempt you, so long as you call the police and get the authorities involved. unreal. what else can we do to incentivize people to spy on each other.

I'm moving once the USA breaks apart.

perrhaps
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Meanwhile in Illinois:

A law taking effect Jan. 1 will crack down on parents who allow minors to drink anywhere on their property, expanding on the current law that specifies it is illegal to let minors drink at their home.

The law, which Amends the Liquor Control Act of 1934 — Public Act 97-1049 —makes it a misdemeanor carrying a $500 fine for any adult to knowingly permit minors under the age of 21 to drink alcohol on their property or in their home. If the violation results in bodily harm or death, the adult will be charged with a Class 4 felony.

The provision also strikes the requirement that the person in the home knows about the underage drinking activity.

In addition, a parent or guardian who knowingly allows a minor to use their property in a way that violates the act's prohibited sales and possession provisions is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

DUI attorney Donald Ramsell, of Ramsell & Associates, said the law goes too far in its attempt to punish parents when teenagers drink, forcing them to act like police officers any time teenagers visit their homes.

"The old law carried penalties only when parents actually authorized the drinking or actually knew it was occurring. This new law would put a parent in jail for up to 1 year simply because they failed to prevent underage drinking on their properties," he said.

If an adult calls the police for assistance with getting rid of anyone breaking the rules on their property, he or she would not be in violation of the act, according to the release.

Pity they closed the Cabrini Projects, isn't it?

:policestate: we'll exempt you, so long as you call the police and get the authorities involved. unreal. what else can we do to incentivize people to spy on each other.

I'm moving once the USA breaks apart.

No you won't. Canada and Mexico will seal the borders.