PDA

View Full Version : Parent returns to trashed house -- blames social media

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Kelly Hayes, CHBC

http://i.imgur.com/gWO3eBw.jpg

A Kelowna man is appealing to the teens who trashed his rental home to do the right thing.

Makal Mann is putting out the plea after coming home from a Big White ski weekend to find holes in the wall, broken glass and stolen items.

The nightmare started last Saturday night when Mann left his 17-year-old son to watch the house while he went skiing.

He later got a call from a neighbour indicating that there were police cars at the house in Upper Mission.

Mann says his son told him that he had a handful of friends over.

He says his son went to pick up a friend and came back to find the house filled with strangers – up to 150 of them.

Mann says the unwanted partiers did everything but steal the kitchen sink.

“They stole our laptops, they threw my TV through the bedroom window," says Mann, still wearing his ski pants because the revelers destroyed his clothing too.

He says they threw food on the walls and onto the carpet and poured liquid detergent on the beds.

“"Even my underwear drawer is empty. What were they thinking!"

Mann found his children’s play set on his neighbour’s roof and they even broke into his kids’ piggy bank.

He blames his son for what happened but admits there’s little he can do.

“If you're a parent, what do you do? Do you get him arrested? Do you sue your son?

Mann is convinced that social media played a big part in the weekend from hell.

"It takes one person to send something out to his 20 friends, and they send it out to 20 of their friends and the next thing you know you've got hundreds of people. Nobody knows anybody, their names or where they live. When I was in school, when you had a party at your house, you knew who was there. Now I might have as well have put my house in the middle of a stadium and said: Hey everybody come party at my house."

He says someone videotaped the damage and posted it on Facebook. He doesn’t know who.

Mann, who has no insurance to cover the damage or stolen items, is appealing for the parents of the teens who attended the party to come forward and help pay for the damages.

perrhaps
01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
He can afford to go skiing, but he can't afford homeowners' insurance?

Blame yourself, twit!

redred
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
rather than blaming social media i'd blame his stupid son

FBD
01-22-2013, 04:31 PM
wow, yeah, because this sort of thing NEVER happened when I was growing up, before social media existed :lol: AND all that shit, no insurance? sucks to be you, idjit!

Acid Trip
01-22-2013, 05:15 PM
They should have put the "doesn't have homeowners insurance bit" at the top of the article so I wouldn't have wasted my time reading it.