PDA

View Full Version : I don't disagree...

Hal-9000
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Management types are fond of using certain expressions...and some expressions in general piss me right off :x

"I don't disagree" - ffs just say agreed or that you agree.

"hal...help me understand this" - I have a manager that uses this expression constantly. Myself or others will tell him about a simple process or change and then he pauses, sighs, looks up and says - Help me understand this. For the love of Pete expand your brain and listen the first time you mook.

I'll volunteer my time on a weekend or go out of my way (and my job description) to do something for the company. I inform my supervisor and the response is - "That's fine". Not thank you or thanks for making the extra effort. "I have no problems with that" falls into the same category :x

Pony
01-22-2013, 10:37 PM
"Think outside the box"

"going forward"

"lean processes"

Hal-9000
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
I read moving forward quite a bit in emails....

translated:

I don't wanna hear anymore of yo jibbajabba on the subject :x

Hal-9000
01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
we had a 're-org' yesterday, which turned into a 'downsizing' ...

strangely enough, the guy who used the 'help me understand this' phrase above got axed today....never thought they'd get rid of him..

Hal-9000
01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
it's a paradigm shift people!!! :dance:

piss off :lol:

Griffin
01-22-2013, 10:52 PM
so your boss gets canned, but the guy that spends all day on forums stays.

...help me understand this

Acid Trip
01-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Management types are fond of using certain expressions...and some expressions in general piss me right off :x

"I don't disagree" - ffs just say agreed or that you agree.

"hal...help me understand this" - I have a manager that uses this expression constantly. Myself or others will tell him about a simple process or change and then he pauses, sighs, looks up and says - Help me understand this. For the love of Pete expand your brain and listen the first time you mook.

I'll volunteer my time on a weekend or go out of my way (and my job description) to do something for the company. I inform my supervisor and the response is - "That's fine". Not thank you or thanks for making the extra effort. "I have no problems with that" falls into the same category :x

You have shitty managers.

One of our IT guys suggested a way to improve several internal IT processes. I gave him a couple employees to assist him and he executed his plan perfectly. We found that his improvements will save us about $7,000 worth of man hours from here on out. So how do we reward him for his efforts?

He'll have an extra $5,000 on his paycheck and the people I assigned to help him will each have an extra $1,000 (aka the $7k savings from the first year).

Acid Trip
01-22-2013, 10:55 PM

:bwaha:

Pony
01-22-2013, 10:56 PM
I read moving forward quite a bit in emails....

translated:

I don't wanna hear anymore of yo jibbajabba on the subject :x

My former boss was always about a constant change and would use that quite often, even if everything was running perfect he needed to always change everything. More times then not it would make us less efficient. Lean processes was another one that really got on my nerves.

Pony
01-22-2013, 10:58 PM

One of our IT guys suggested a way to improve several internal IT processes. I gave him a couple employees to assist him and he executed his plan perfectly. We found that his improvements will save us about $7,000 worth of man hours from here on out. So how do we reward him for his efforts?

He'll have an extra $5,000 on his paycheck and the people I assigned to help him will each have an extra $1,000 (aka the $7k savings from the first year).

My former manager would have just stolen it as his own idea and made sure no one found out about his 7k bonus.

Loser
01-22-2013, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7B3vpIlmQ

Hugh_Janus
01-22-2013, 11:09 PM

my grandfather got a brand new car for saving his company money :lol:

I didn't even get a thanks for getting more work in to the place I used to work

Lambchop
01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

Hugh_Janus
01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
one phrase my old boss used to say was "I'm taking my (name of company) hat off now and putting my cunt hat on".... I almost laughed in his face as he gave me a bollocking :lol:

Hal-9000
01-22-2013, 11:33 PM

ummm...some, yes. Our company undergoes constant change/restructuring because of our clients and what we do. So people tend not to get rewarded with cash bonuses when coming up with good ideas for change. It's part of the norm..

the guy I mentioned was actually one of the good ones....that's probably why they let him go :lol:

Hal-9000
01-22-2013, 11:35 PM

I imagine it broke down like this

hal = 30k/year = can run a 10 person operation cradle to grave by himself (if necessary).
manager = 100k/year = we got lots of managers

:lol:

Acid Trip
01-23-2013, 03:09 PM
It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

Except you need to repeat that 3 times in a row with 3 different voices. :lol:

my grandfather got a brand new car for saving his company money :lol:

I didn't even get a thanks for getting more work in to the place I used to work

That's how it used to work. When people are happy and motivated they work harder. Do something exceptional and get something exceptional in return.

ummm...some, yes. Our company undergoes constant change/restructuring because of our clients and what we do. So people tend not to get rewarded with cash bonuses when coming up with good ideas for change. It's part of the norm..

the guy I mentioned was actually one of the good ones....that's probably why they let him go :lol:

Constant restructuring is bad because it wastes man hours. If you are going to restructure do it once the right way and never do it again.

Doesn't sound like anyone in your management tree has an MBA, and if they do they weren't paying attention.

Southern Belle
01-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Thankfully I don't have to hear all that bs. In the construction industry in the field level, people tend to speak simply and to the point.

Muddy
01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Where's my fuckin coffee!?! :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
01-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Constant restructuring is bad because it wastes man hours. If you are going to restructure do it once the right way and never do it again.

Doesn't sound like anyone in your management tree has an MBA, and if they do they weren't paying attention.

I'm not making myself clear...We've had one re-org in the past 5 years, which just occurred. The constant change/restructuring is to adapt the client needs, system changes and billing that comes with whatever new component of business we're handling. There are quite a few managers with degrees, some pretty smart and creative folks in our company.

Acid Trip
01-24-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm not making myself clear...We've had one re-org in the past 5 years, which just occurred. The constant change/restructuring is to adapt the client needs, system changes and billing that comes with whatever new component of business we're handling. There are quite a few managers with degrees, some pretty smart and creative folks in our company.

Ah so I see said the blind man.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Ah so I see said the blind man.

Who picked up his hammer and saw :)