PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapons ban announced in Congress; faces uphill battle

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Reporting By Thomas Ferraro, Editing by Alistair Bell

http://i.imgur.com/3VKTsD7.jpg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A top Democratic lawmaker tried on Thursday to revive a U.S. assault-weapons ban, riding a wave of support for gun control after the killing of 20 children and six adults at a school in Connecticut last month.

Senator Dianne Feinstein and several other Democrats said they were introducing a bill to ban semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips. It faces stiff opposition in Congress as well as from the National Rifle Association, the main U.S. lobby for gun manufacturers, and from many Americans.

"Getting this bill signed into law will be an uphill battle, and I recognize that - but it is a battle worth having," Feinstein said at a news conference to announce the bill.

The legislation mirrors some of the proposals that President Barack Obama offered last week as he vowed to make gun control a top priority in his second term.

Banning assault weapons is seen as the most unlikely part of Obama's gun control package to pass Congress. A previous ban expired in 2004 after 10 years.

With 310 million guns in civilian hands and 11,000 homicides with firearms last year, the United States is one of the world's most heavily armed and violent countries.

Feinstein's bill would ban the purchase of semiautomatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine clip and prohibit high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

Shady
01-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Gun laws and regulations are so fucked up as it is that adding new laws doesn't make sense right now. The entire thing needs to be scraped and started over from scratch.

Also so context needs to considered with discussions about the second amendment. I'm not so sure the architects of the constitution had in mind a weapon that would fire a weapon down a rifled barrel at 3000ft/second and have a range of 1000 yards. I don't think we should ban individuals from having access to such weapons but they should be regulated more. Have dealers and range operators hold on to them so that they can still be appreciated for their power and beauty in the right environment and not in public spaces.

KevinD
01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
I'd sure like to know where they got the 11,00 homicides last year from. I can't find ANY actually data for 2012. Lot's of "reports" but no facts.

Griffin
01-24-2013, 10:59 PM
With 310 million guns in civilian hands and 11,000 homicides with firearms last year, the United States is one of the world's most heavily armed and violent countries.

Apparently this nimrod hasn't heard of the Middle East.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Gun laws and regulations are so fucked up as it is that adding new laws doesn't make sense right now. The entire thing needs to be scraped and started over from scratch.

Also so context needs to considered with discussions about the second amendment. I'm not so sure the architects of the constitution had in mind a weapon that would fire a weapon down a rifled barrel at 3000ft/second and have a range of 1000 yards. I don't think we should ban individuals from having access to such weapons but they should be regulated more. Have dealers and range operators hold on to them so that they can still be appreciated for their power and beauty in the right environment and not in public spaces.

I was with you until the end. That would be like telling someone that they can buy the new Corvette or Viper, but you can't take it home with you, but we'll keep it here any time you want to touch it.

Shady
01-25-2013, 09:11 AM
I was with you until the end. That would be like telling someone that they can buy the new Corvette or Viper, but you can't take it home with you, but we'll keep it here any time you want to touch it.

Actually car companies do that. And that where that thought process came from. There are certain cars that can only be driven on a track. They can be owned but they can only be driven on a track as they are not road legal. Cars like the Zonda R, Ferrari FFX, Aston Martin DBR are perfect examples of machines that are extremely powerful and beautiful but can only be admired on the track because of the design and forces they exhibit. Doing 200mph on the road is extremely dangerous to yourself and others around you. Roads aren't built to the standards that tracks are. Its the same thing with military grade weaponry. Say you shoot an intruder with a semi-automatic or automatic rifle. If you miss that bullet has enough projectile force to probably go through a wall out of your house and across the street and has the possibility of hitting a neighbor.

Also why would one need an M4 to defend their home. Most people I've seen with assault rifles have at least half a dozen other firearms.

Griffin
01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4XUme.jpg

Muddy
01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
These people that own the assault rifles just do it because they are afraid that one day we will have some type of guerrilla war around here..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Actually car companies do that. And that where that thought process came from. There are certain cars that can only be driven on a track. They can be owned but they can only be driven on a track as they are not road legal. Cars like the Zonda R, Ferrari FFX, Aston Martin DBR are perfect examples of machines that are extremely powerful and beautiful but can only be admired on the track because of the design and forces they exhibit. Doing 200mph on the road is extremely dangerous to yourself and others around you. Roads aren't built to the standards that tracks are. Its the same thing with military grade weaponry. Say you shoot an intruder with a semi-automatic or automatic rifle. If you miss that bullet has enough projectile force to probably go through a wall out of your house and across the street and has the possibility of hitting a neighbor.

Also why would one need an M4 to defend their home. Most people I've seen with assault rifles have at least half a dozen other firearms.

Again, your argument makes no sense, we aren't talking about something that isn't "legal"....there are plenty of vehicles that are street legal that will go 200 mph that anyone with enough money can buy and drive off the lot the same day. Or what about crotch rockets that go in excess of 200 mph and you can get there in just a matter of seconds?

FBD
01-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Actually, car companies dont do that - anything "street illegal" is only illegal because big brother decided it would be a good idea to write something into the lawbooks that says you cant drive this or that car for this or that reason. You think Porsche or Ferrari were the ones that decided hey, these cars shouldnt be driven on conventional roads? Its not like we're talking a formula 1 car or nascar that sits half an inch off the road and *is* explicitly designed for the track.

and bikes.

and the stray bullet argument doesnt hold either, there's a ton of "legal" guns that'll do just what you described.

DemonGeminiX
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
These people that own the assault rifles just do it because they are afraid that one day we will have some type of guerrilla war around here..

They may be right.

Acid Trip
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Here is what nobody has mentioned yet:

"[T]he bill includes a number of exemptions: It exempts more than 2,200 hunting and sporting weapons; any gun manually operated by a bolt, pump, lever or slide action; any weapons used by government officials and law enforcement (active and retired); and any weapons legally owned as of the date of the bill's enactment."

That means anyone who currently works for (or used to work for) the government or law enforcement is totally exempt from the law. I trust my wife with my AR-15 more than I do any sack of shit police officer with a god complex.

It also means that my legally owned AR-15 would become illegal to leave my children in my will. In fact, they would be committing a federal offense by it being in the house the moment I died. Complete and utter nonsense.

RBP
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
This is DOA... no need to even worry about it.

FBD
01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I wish I had your optimism, rbp. They've shown quite a few times before that anything they feel passionately enough about, they WILL find a way to "pass" it, whether its going around the roadblocks, vaulting over the fence....fuck pelosi, sounds like a goddam illegal alien when she said that about o-fuckthecountry-care. Those roadblocks are there on purpose, bitch! Now we have to treat something like a law that wasnt even passed like an actual law? We get a doctored and probably FEMA-responsible massacre as a ploy to take law abiding citizens guns away?

I'm not entirely certain the US will be able to repel this infestation.

Muddy
01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
They may be right.

It's a legitimate concern in this day and age..

RBP
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
I wish I had your optimism, rbp. They've shown quite a few times before that anything they feel passionately enough about, they WILL find a way to "pass" it, whether its going around the roadblocks, vaulting over the fence....fuck pelosi, sounds like a goddam illegal alien when she said that about o-fuckthecountry-care. Those roadblocks are there on purpose, bitch! Now we have to treat something like a law that wasnt even passed like an actual law? We get a doctored and probably FEMA-responsible massacre as a ploy to take law abiding citizens guns away?

I'm not entirely certain the US will be able to repel this infestation.

FEMA-responsible massacre? wtf are you on about... Newtown? Crazy kid with stolen weapons. end of story.

FBD
01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
end of official story ;) go ahead and believe what the concocted story is, believe that an AR-15 materialized out of thin air, but that was a fkn setup through and through.

MrsM
01-25-2013, 05:22 PM
end of official story ;) go ahead and believe what the concocted story is, believe that an AR-15 materialized out of thin air, but that was a fkn setup through and through.

I didn't know that you were there :shock: what was it like in the school during the shooting?...

Your comments saying that it was a setup and not to trust the reports has less value than the reports that you say are false.

There has been so much mis-information "reported" regarding this event that until they release the official report no one really knows.

I am all for more gun control (as you already know) - however I also know that more gun control is not going to stop this in the future - nor is having more guns in schools.

Both sides are missing the real problem - however, there is no way to manage the guns or healthcare that will prevent someone who whats to get a gun from getting a gun.

Acid Trip
01-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Conspiracy or not, this video made me feel sick to my stomach. Watch the demeanor change of the father of one of the girls who died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHv_RhVgfUQ&feature=player_embedded&bpctr=1359136285

RBP
01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Conspiracy or not, this video made me feel sick to my stomach. Watch the demeanor change of the father of one of the girls who died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHv_RhVgfUQ&feature=player_embedded&bpctr=1359136285

I don't understand all that. So they are saying that they knowingly trotted out a fake grieving dad?

FBD
01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
I didn't know that you were there :shock: what was it like in the school during the shooting?...

Your comments saying that it was a setup and not to trust the reports has less value than the reports that you say are false.

There has been so much mis-information "reported" regarding this event that until they release the official report no one really knows.

I am all for more gun control (as you already know) - however I also know that more gun control is not going to stop this in the future - nor is having more guns in schools.

Both sides are missing the real problem - however, there is no way to manage the guns or healthcare that will prevent someone who whats to get a gun from getting a gun.

Value? :lol: Of value to TPTB are sheeple who call others crazy for questioning the "official" report. Were you aware FEMA and DHS were doing a live-action mass-shooting drill in Newtown on that very day? And why does one need to be certified by FEMA in order to be employed by the company supplying the "live actors?"

PorkChopSandwiches
01-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Did you know the CDC has authority to make decisions on guns

Thanks Obamacare

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/president-taps-cdc-gun-control

Muddy
01-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Did you know the CDC has authority to make decisions on guns

Thanks Obamacare

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/president-taps-cdc-gun-control

I do not want to hear it from you.. AnthemZ told you this all along.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-25-2013, 06:29 PM
I didnt read his rants :hand:

:lol: :dance:

FBD
01-25-2013, 06:31 PM
the progressives are out in full assault...did anyone know geico was run by a pack of progressives? I already knew that so I wouldnt EVER give them my business, but this is fucked up:

http://topconservativenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/GEICO.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
01-25-2013, 06:47 PM
solid work blacking it out :lol:

Muddy
01-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Acid Trip, whats up with the Vid.. I cant cut on speakers at work..

FBD
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
he didnt realize it was already rolling, was waiting for the 2nd camera assistant to snap the slate

Acid Trip
01-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Acid Trip, whats up with the Vid.. I cant cut on speakers at work..

One of girls who "died" was in photographs with the President after the shooting occurred. Not only that, she's in the same dress as one of the "family photos" given to the media. How the hell does that work? She is either dead or she isn't and judging by the pictures she's not dead.

Then, the father of the "dead girl" was then seen laughing and joking right before he was to go on the air. In the video he says "OK" as in (I'm ready) then he immediately begins his crocodile tear act. It's so obvious it sickened me.

I am looking for a video of the helicopter that flew over the school right after the shooting. You'll watch it and wonder what the hell is going on here?!

RBP
01-25-2013, 07:53 PM
One of girls who "died" was in photographs with the President after the shooting occurred. Not only that, she's in the same dress as one of the "family photos" given to the media. How the hell does that work? She is either dead or she isn't and judging by the pictures she's not dead.

Then, the father of the "dead girl" was then seen laughing and joking right before he was to go on the air. In the video he says "OK" as in (I'm ready) then he immediately begins his crocodile tear act. It's so obvious it sickened me.

I am looking for a video of the helicopter that flew over the school right after the shooting. You'll watch it and wonder what the hell is going on here?!

Is there a more mainstream source for this information or am I dreaming?

Acid Trip
01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Here is the raw helicopter footage I was referring to. You'll need sound for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA1P7lSAog

RBP
01-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Here is the raw helicopter footage I was referring to. You'll need sound for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA1P7lSAog

I have no idea what I just watched or why. And there's no sound. :|

PorkChopSandwiches
01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk8TMW7jhlI

Better video

Acid Trip
01-25-2013, 08:11 PM
I have no idea what I just watched or why. And there's no sound. :|

The sound takes a little while to start. At first all you can hear is noises from the helicopter equipment. Part way in the reporter in the helicopter starts talking live with the news team.

FBD
01-25-2013, 08:11 PM
:lol: the fire engine said detroit on it...so is that just a coincidence that the fema actor company was from michigan?

PorkChopSandwiches
01-25-2013, 08:13 PM
I couldnt make out the Fire engine logo, or the non-existent police logos.

Acid Trip
01-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Here is the "dead" girls family photos (the ones put on the news) being ripped apart by Photoshop experts.

As for what I think, I think a lot of young people died that day. I think the media sensationalized the event and added "details" that probably were not true.

On 9/11 I saw the 2nd plane hit on live TV. I saw people jumping off the the upper stories before they burned to death.

With Sandy Hook I saw no dead bodies, no blood, no evacuation, conflicting stories/events/timelines, actors, and media reports change from minute to minute. Something isn't right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtp_A4Q_EAg

FBD
01-25-2013, 08:18 PM
yeah I couldnt quite make out the text on the side of the fire engine either, could have just as easily said newtown.

but I counted 8 or 9 state cop cars there, 1 suv. 1 local cop. and the fire engine. no ambulance or coroner vehicle.

how is it that there was only 1 local cop car there - 911 gets called, that call goes to the local police. there would have been a half dozen of them easily if things went as they said it went.

Acid Trip
01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
yeah I couldnt quite make out the text on the side of the fire engine either, could have just as easily said newtown.

but I counted 8 or 9 state cop cars there, 1 suv. 1 local cop. and the fire engine. no ambulance or coroner vehicle.

I don't understand why everyone was standing around with their thumb up their asses. Calmest crisis I've ever seen.

FBD
01-25-2013, 08:31 PM
you've got to do something while waiting for the swat team to show up for sufficient black clad gear obscurity

Iffy
01-25-2013, 09:44 PM
I am all for more gun control (as you already know) - however I also know that more gun control is not going to stop this in the future - .

Whats the purpose of gun control then?

MrsM
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Whats the purpose of gun control then?

I think it's too easy to get a gun and as such people who are not responsible and shouldn't have one can still get one.

There should be stricter punishment for either having an unregistered gun or not using a gun responsibly

MrsM
01-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Not sure what the videos above have to do with proving a hoax? It looks like it was well into the event as the car was already taped off. By that time the gun man was already dead and the threat was gone.

they were just securing the crime scene

Southern Belle
01-26-2013, 11:15 PM
I saw the videos about Sandy Hook last week. I don't believe all of what has been reported either. It's already been reported on main stream news that an assault rifle was not used inside the school. Only pistols. So the big push for control and banning of assault weapons is just a knee jerk reaction by liberals using a tragedy to push their agenda.
Some of the people who were "interviewed" that day said some really weird things.
And why isn't anybody saying anything about the guy they caught running through the woods behind the school?
I've also read reports that the shooter's mother WAS a teacher at the school. Why would they say she wasn't?
The most telling to me was the pictures of the little girl who was supposedly killed and her "dad's" behavior in the news clip.
Something fishy is going on and it makes me sick.
Something fishy is going on and it makes me sick.