PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Democrats reject bill to allow teachers to carry concealed weapons

Teh One Who Knocks
01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
By Tim Hoover - The Denver Post

A Republican bill to allow teachers to carry concealed weapons in Colorado schools was defeated in a Senate committee Monday, with Democrats dismissing arguments that it would make children safer from massacres like the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Senate Bill 9 failed on a 2-3 party-line vote in the Judiciary Committee on a day when more than 100 demonstrators gathered outside the Capitol to rally in favor of stricter gun controls.

With Democrats now back in charge of both chambers of the legislature, and in the wake of the Aurora and Sandy Hook mass shootings, there is a newfound push for gun-control measures that has cheered supporters, who have gotten little traction on the issue for years, even among Democrats.

Under current law, concealed weapons are prohibited at schools, but the bill would have let local school boards allow their teachers and other school employees to carry concealed weapons in schools if they have permits. The school boards could require greater training for their employees if they wanted.

State Sen. Scott Renfroe, R-Greeley, a former school-board member and a sponsor of the bill, said that ever since the 1999 Columbine massacre, he has been thinking of how to stop school shootings.

"It's a tragedy of what keeps happening over and over and over," Renfroe said. "Frankly, it's clear that gun-free zones don't work."

State Sen. Ted Harvey, R-Highlands Ranch, a co-sponsor of the bill, said his wife is a teacher and his kids attend public school.

"My wife and my kids are sitting ducks," Harvey said, arguing that allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons would give children a better chance to survive if a shooter enters a school.

That was also the argument from Bethany Christiansen, a teacher from Greeley, who has a concealed-carry license and who testified in favor of the bill.

"Teachers being allowed to carry guns in school is something that will keep our children safe," Christiansen said.

But state Sen. Jesse Ulibarri, D-Commerce City, asked whether armed teachers might just end up shooting their students, who would be in a crossfire.

"I want to make sure that I'm not allowing something worse to happen," Ulibarri said.

Opponents of the bill included the Colorado Education Association, the state's largest teachers union; and Eileen McCarron, a retired math teacher and the president of Colorado Ceasefire, a group that argues for greater gun control.

"We Coloradans do not wish to turn our school into prisons or our teachers into prison guards," McCarron said.

FBD
01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
But state Sen. Jesse Ulibarri, D-Commerce City, asked whether armed teachers might just end up shooting their students, who would be in a crossfire.

"I want to make sure that I'm not allowing something worse to happen," Ulibarri said.

Opponents of the bill included the Colorado Education Association, the state's largest teachers union; and Eileen McCarron, a retired math teacher and the president of Colorado Ceasefire, a group that argues for greater gun control.

"We Coloradans do not wish to turn our school into prisons or our teachers into prison guards," McCarron said.

Yeah, because a student getting hit with crossfire is SO MUCH WORSE than a madman gunning down dozens of them!!! Do you fkn asshats THINK before you SPEAK???

Note to teachers, YOUR SCHOOLS HAVE BEEN PRISONS FOR DECADES NOW...

Muddy
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Do you fkn asshats THINK before you SPEAK???

I dont know.. Do you? :lol:

Teachers shouldn't be armed.. If we want to protect schools, lets do it with properly trained personnel.

FBD
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
yeah, because a teacher couldnt possibly be a properly trained person. :lol: did you read the part about it mentioning it being the ones that already have CCPs?

Muddy
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Give it a rest.. A ccp isnt shit. Its a 4 hour class at a gun store.

FBD
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
yeah, as a prerequisite. and you're telling me to give it a rest :lol:

Acid Trip
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Give it a rest.. A ccp isnt shit. Its a 4 hour class at a gun store.

8 hours classroom instruction + range qualification for me. Metrics differ from state to state.

Muddy
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
8 hours classroom instruction + range qualification for me. Metrics differ from state to state.

I hear you, I just personally don't want my kid in school with 50 armed teachers.. I'm for law enforcement to have a presence.. (which they do in my county)

Acid Trip
01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
I hear you, I just personally don't want my kid in school with 50 armed teachers.. I'm for law enforcement to have a presence.. (which they do in my county)

A totally understandable position.

My high school had a full-time police department with 3 officers. No security what-so-ever at the elementary/middle schools.

MrsM
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
I dont know.. Do you? :lol:

Teachers shouldn't be armed.. If we want to protect schools, lets do it with properly trained personnel.

^^This

FBD
01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
"properly trained personnel" = you normal joes couldnt possibly be responsible enough to handle this on your own in your spare time. we need to have somebody that makes a living doing this in order to be reasonably sure competence.

which I find highly offensive, given that we're talking about operating a firearm and not brain surgery.

oh, and how's the police's hit rates, them being "properly trained personnel" and all?

a blanket "properly trained" simply equates the rest of us with children...raw, uncouth, irresponsible, ADHD fkn children. I do not appreciate my "legislators" viewing the populace as a bunch of children that need to be corralled into doing the correct things.

Muddy
01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
"properly trained personnel" = you normal joes couldnt possibly be responsible enough to handle this on your own in your spare time. we need to have somebody that makes a living doing this in order to be reasonably sure competence.

which I find highly offensive, given that we're talking about operating a firearm and not brain surgery.

oh, and how's the police's hit rates, them being "properly trained personnel" and all?

a blanket "properly trained" simply equates the rest of us with children...raw, uncouth, irresponsible, ADHD fkn children. I do not appreciate my "legislators" viewing the populace as a bunch of children that need to be corralled into doing the correct things.

I'm glad you find it offensive.. Is this offensive? I pay taxes, and this is how I feel.. Deal with it! .. :D

FBD
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
not offended by you muddy, offended by "leaders" "legislators" aka "holier than thou plebes you mofos"

Muddy
01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Oh, sorry.. :oops:

FBD
01-29-2013, 05:19 PM
np, easy enough to have made that mistake, I didnt clarify well :D

KevinD
01-30-2013, 03:27 PM
No BS personal experience follows:

When I was in High School in Houston (Sharpstown) in the mid 80's, a male student brought a gun to school, and started saying he was going to kill a teacher. As I remember, he did fire a few shots, don't remember if anyone was hit or not. My Vocational teacher (Mr Geaubeaux) (SP) ran to his truck and got his gun, then proceeded to shoot the student. The cops and ambulances showed up about 15-20 mins later.

In this case, an armed teacher did in fact stop a rampage. However, that same situation would end up quite differently since the schools are now "gun free" zones.