View Full Version : Wiffle Ball? Freeze Tag? No way, too dangerous!

Acid Trip
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Pure silliness courtesy of people who have nothing better to do.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Freeze-Tag-Red-Rover-Deemed-Dangerous-in-New-Summer-Camp-Regs-120195644.html

Freeze Tag, Wiffle Ball Deemed Dangerous in New Summer Camp Regs
State creates “risky list” of activities to promote safety at summer camps.

Dodgeball, Red Rover, Wiffle Ball – those time-honored kids’ games, along with activities like Steal the Bacon and Capture the Flag – have been deemed dangerous by the state as part of an effort to tighten regulations for summer camps in the area.

Any indoor or outdoor recreational program that offers two or more organized activities, including one that falls on the “risky list” determined by state officials, will be considered a summer camp under the new rules and subject to the associated regulations.

The rules aim to curtail a loophole in previously passed regulations by the state Health Department that count activities like horseback riding and archery among the “risky list,” but do not include many activities like Freeze Tag and kickball featured in indoor programs.

At least one state legislator, Sen. Patty Richie (R-St. Lawrence County), fears the new rules will impair smaller programs’ ability to operate by requiring them to pay a $200 fee to register as summer camps.

However, Health Department spokeswoman Diane Mathis tells the Daily News the adapted “risky list” is merely a set of guidelines for recreational programs, and not all outfits that offer one of the activities on the list will be required to hire medical staff.

“There will be flexibility in how the law is implemented,” Mathis told the paper, adding that some programs may merely have to develop a plan to cope with medical emergencies to comply with the new regulations.

Still, Ritchie says including games like Freeze Tag on the “risky list” is a bit much.

“It looks like Albany bureaucrats are looking for kids to just sit in a corner in a house all day and not be outside,” she told the News. “I don’t think Wiffle Ball is a dangerous sport."

Parents appear divided on the issue, but at least one believes it’s wise to take precautions.

“Kids these days are kinda brutal so I can see those games being dangerous,” Bronx mom Kim Wainwright told the News.

MrsM
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Really? How will this generation grow up? I guess I'll send my kids to mat camp - where they sit on a mat and stare at a wall for 6 hrs :roll:

Acid Trip
04-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Really? How will this generation grow up? I guess I'll send my kids to mat camp - where they sit on a mat and stare at a wall for 6 hrs :roll:

Mat camp sounds like my job except replace mat with computer chair hehe.

FBD
04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
we beat each other severely with wiffle ball bats on a regular basis when we were kids. they made great swords! I dont know why people feel we need to sterilize growing up :roll:

Muddy
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
We actually had a Jarts game when I was a kid.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/tlhensley/myspace/jarts.jpg

FBD
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
:dance: hell yeah, those too!

MrsM
04-19-2011, 05:18 PM
We actually had a Jarts game when I was a kid.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/tlhensley/myspace/jarts.jpg

We had a set of those - until my brother was hit in the head and later died of a blood clot :(

J/K they were a blast :)

DemonGeminiX
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I bet the people passing this legislation never won any of these games... and they were probably always the last to be picked.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-19-2011, 10:47 PM
New York Health Officials Back Off Proposal to 'Legislate Fun'
FoxNews.com

New York health officials pulled back a proposal that would have placed new regulations on classic kid games like tag and Wiffle Ball that officials deemed unsafe.

Just in time for summer camp season, the list was delivered to towns, villages and camp operators, and in a surprise to many, games like kickball were placed in the category of “significant risk of injury.”

In turn, public outcry called for the state to stay off their handball courts.

Some had called it an attempt to "legislate fun," as the proposal faced increasing criticism from lawmakers and recreational sports businesses.

Dave Mullany, president of Wiffle Ball Inc., based in Shelton, Conn., told FoxNews.com that he was shocked to hear that lawmakers in Albany recently identified the activity as "poses a significant risk of injury" along with other iconic childhood pastimes, like dodgeball.

"It's crazy," Mullany said on Tuesday. "Amid all this talk of us becoming a nation of overweight kids, we really need to promote activity and kids having fun. Should these kids go to summer camp and sit quietly with their hands folded? It's a little disconcerting to see fun being legislated."

The New York Health Department maintains these lists make sure camps have the proper medical equipment to treat any injury that may result from any particular activity. The games range in danger from archery to kickball.

“A lot can be misread,” Claudia Hutton, a department spokeswoman told FoxNews.com. “For example, Arts and Crafts sounds like it’s glue and paint, but in some cases they use power tools.”

Leaders at the department are also relatively new and are working with legislation that was authored during the previous administration.

Hutton said the department is open to suggestions from residents before it implements any new guidance and the decision is likely to be made on May 16.

The department created the list of risky recreational activities in response to a state law passed in 2009. The law has yet to be implemented.

"People talk about how we're less and less active and that we're concerned about the increasing waistlines, so to kind of limit what kids do for activity and recreation is somewhat ludicrous," Mullany continued.

Mullany also noted that Wiffle Ball is the only activity identified by brand name.

"It catches you off-guard when you see something like this, and especially as the only brand name mentioned," he said. "I'm sure I'll be hearing from friends who are parents."

The games are not banned at camps, but they come at a play-at-your-own-risk cost. Camps that want campers to play the games will be required to pay a $200 registration fee and have medical staff on hand.

There are roughly 2,300 regulated summer camps in New York that are required to be under permit and be inspected twice a year by the state's Department of Health.

The state claims that this has resulted in markedly low levels of serious incidents. State statistics claim that of more than 640,000 children who attend camps, less than two-tenths of one percent are injured in any manner.

Games/activities on the warning list:

* Capture the Flag

* Crab Soccer

* Dodgeball

* Flag Tag

* Flag Football

* Ga Ga

* Kickball

* Nuk-em

* Red Rover

* Steal the Bacon

* Tag (all varieties)

Muddy
04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I see 'smear the queer' didn't make the list...

Loser
04-19-2011, 11:03 PM
jesus fkin' christ what kinda idiots are they electing in up there... :roll:

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 03:05 AM
we played overhand horseshoes.....wanna talk dangerous?

and we had the dart set that muddygut posted :thumbsup: ( rip Jimmy :( )

Griffin
04-20-2011, 03:11 AM
...Steal the Bacon...

I have to admit, this was usually played after the counselors were asleep. :mrgreen:

Godfather
04-20-2011, 03:17 AM
We played full contact football without any gear in elementary school when there was enough snow on the ground. :lol:

This kind of thing is dribble... hard not to notice how drastically different playgrounds are from 1o years ago. No more gravel, no more firepoles, no more danger. Nerf the world. It's no wonder auto-immune diseases are on the rise. I was just talking to my GF's dad who is a well respected pediatric doctor. He hates how coddled kids are; what doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.

One of my best buddies from childhood was embarrassingly over-nurtured. Emotionally, his mom walked him to school, kissed him on the lips and tucked him in for far, far too many years. And while a loving mother is one thing that is in demand these days, there's a more important aspect. Physically, he didn't play in the mud and get the bumps and bruises that boys should. One time he got a muddy snowball in his face and his mom sat there with an electric blow-drier until he was "ok" :roll:

He has severe Crones disease. I'm not claiming it wouldn't have happened, but the severity of his case is brutal - almost unsurprising if that makes any sense.

And statistically, amongst other things IBS is climbing in this country because our kids wreak of Purell Handwash and Sunscreen more than they do sweat and fresh-air

Shady
04-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Fuck that, who ever heard of a kid getting seriously injured even by a wiffle ball to the face.

I can't wait til I'm 40-45 and I've got a bunch of snot nosed over protected bitches working for me. I will make their lives hell on earth.

Loser
04-20-2011, 04:06 AM
My friends and I would get together every sunday and play full contact football. Most people left bleeding or bruised. We would get together every 4th of july and have bottle rocket wars, shooting bottle rockets and roman candles at one another from homemade tubes. I've broken every finger on both hands AT LEAST twice. Over 500 stitches, 100 staples, numerous casts for broken bones, and god only knows how many other injuries.

And I don't regret any of it.

It's all part of growning up and being stupid. People will NEVER know their limits until they test them, and people who are to afraid to test them, never get anywhere in life unless its handed to them on a silver fucking platter.

If you were picked last for dodge ball, have the hand eye coordination of a quadriplegic, and couldn't dodge a god damned tree if it was magically coming at you, well guess what.. Get ready to take some balls to the face, your nothing more then a meat shield.

If you some how manage to get seriously injured playing with a wiffle ball set, I've got some bad news for you. Your a future darwin award winner.

If you're always "IT" while playing tag, lose some fucking weight fatty.

And if you somehow, through magical mystical reasons, fail at motherfucking red rover......Please, for the love of god, DO NOT PROCREATE! There's enough idiots on this planet.:rolleyes:

And this is called a Lawn Dart. Wtf is a Jart?:lol: Also, I had one of these go into my foot from about 30 feet in the air. Still have the dot on the top of my fucking foot.
http://i51.tinypic.com/ornka9.jpg

Godfather
04-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Over 500 stitches, 100 staples

Well that's a little funny :lol:... I had a good childhood of playing hockey, and being athletic but you sound like a nutter man :P

I miss firecracker fights. Bottlerockets and mighty-mights are banned in Canada but we used to find older kids who got them from the US and sold them and Roman Candles at ridiculous prices to pre-teens. Many Halloweens there would be a 'firecracker war' up on the elementary school grounds. It was awesome.

... I still want to believe to some degree this 'no wiffle ball' nonsense is isolated and rare. I visit my little cousins all the time... they run around in the freezing cold and pouring rain long after dark playing tag, and dammed if they don't drag me out there to play too. Them and their buddies are good kids who play hard and respect their parents. I hope things don't change for the wussier as rapidly as it sometimes feels they will

Muddy
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
And this is called a Lawn Dart. Wtf is a Jart?:lol: Also, I had one of these go into my foot from about 30 feet in the air. Still have the dot on the top of my fucking foot.

I believe Jarts were the original mass distributed lawn dart on the market..

http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/jarts.jpg

KevinD
04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I did it like this,
I did it like that,
I did it with a wiffle ball bat, so...

Acid Trip
04-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Fuck that, who ever heard of a kid getting seriously injured even by a wiffle ball to the face.

I can't wait til I'm 40-45 and I've got a bunch of snot nosed over protected bitches working for me. I will make their lives hell on earth.

Hell even a kickball or dodge ball to the face only stings for a minute.

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 05:40 PM

:lol: :lol:

don't forget their helmets :rolleyes:

MrsM
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
:lol: :lol:

don't forget their helmets :rolleyes:

I had them glued on so they wouldn't forget them :tup:

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I had them glued on so they wouldn't forget them :tup:

:shock: You're not worried that all that sitting may give the children MSONTA disorder?

*mat sores on their asses

MrsM
04-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Yikes - I never thought of that - I better write my MP and get mats baned as sitting devices. Thanks Hal - you may have saved my kids asses :)

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Yikes - I never thought of that - I better write my MP and get mats baned as sitting devices. Thanks Hal - you may have saved my kids asses :)

Have you ever considered what kind of stress a child is put under when staring at the wall for 6 hours????

Better get them some eye exams as well.....good Lord you're like Cinderella's stepsisters you big brute

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 05:54 PM
*secretly wishes MrsM was his Mom*

om nom nom nom nom let me suckle

MrsM
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Have you ever considered what kind of stress a child is put under when staring at the wall for 6 hours????

Better get them some eye exams as well.....good Lord you're like Cinderella's stepsisters you big brute

:lmao:

*secretly wishes MrsM was his Mom*

om nom nom nom nom let me suckle

At first I was :giggle: then thought :naughty: then :huh::slap: you need to at least buy me flowers :daisy:

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
To make it appropriately weird....next month I'll get you flowers, a nice Mother's Day card and some crotchless panties...

(and I'll increase my therapy sessions to 3 x week)

MrsM
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
To make it appropriately weird....next month I'll get you flowers, a nice Mother's Day card and some crotchless panties...

(and I'll increase my therapy sessions to 3 x week)

You really know how to sweet talk a lady Hal :lmao:

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I have a school to help guys with dating issues....it's called Hal's School of Smooooth :lol:

* sings the single for life song *

Loser
04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Well that's a little funny :lol:... I had a good childhood of playing hockey, and being athletic but you sound like a nutter man :P

Nah, The majority of the stitches were because of one account. Happened because of a bicycle accident. End result was 300+ stitches, cracked femur, 2 plates, 6 screws, and a limp when it rains.

The staples were put in place from various injuries while skateboarding and football.

Now a days when I need stitches, I just do it myself, unless I can't reach the area. I fear syringes a hell of a lot more then I fear needles or feel pain.

As for the broken fingers, dislocated shoulder*three times*, broken ankle, broken wrist, broken radius, broken toes, etc.... Most were football and freestyle/high school wrestling.

Also, I've been shot twice, stabbed roughly half dozen times, took a hammer to the head, and hit by a car... :lol: *All on separate occasions*:rolleyes:

I've led a charmed life eh? :lol:

MrsM
04-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Nah, The majority of the stitches were because of one account. Happened because of a bicycle accident. End result was 300+ stitches, cracked femur, 2 plates, 6 screws, and a limp when it rains.

The staples were put in place from various injuries while skateboarding and football.

Now a days when I need stitches, I just do it myself, unless I can't reach the area. I fear syringes a hell of a lot more then I fear needles or feel pain.

As for the broken fingers, dislocated shoulder*three times*, broken ankle, broken wrist, broken radius, broken toes, etc.... Most were football and freestyle/high school wrestling.

Also, I've been shot twice, stabbed roughly half dozen times, took a hammer to the head, and hit by a car... :lol: *All on separate occasions*:rolleyes:

I've led a charmed life eh? :lol:

It's a good thing you said "*All on separate occasions*" - or I would nominate you for the 'Worst day in the History of Man' contest :)

But seriously WTF are you doing to have all of this done to you?

Loser
04-20-2011, 07:59 PM
It's a good thing you said "*All on separate occasions*" - or I would nominate you for the 'Worst day in the History of Man' contest :)

But seriously WTF are you doing to have all of this done to you?

I used to live in a very bad area. I call it the Armpit of the USA.

Google Gary Indiana :lol:

Muddy
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0-JA6K0Dwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0-JA6K0Dw

Loser
04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
This sums up where I was born, raised, and fled from.

http://i51.tinypic.com/28rz6zo.jpg

Hal-9000
04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
I used to live in a very bad area. I call it the Armpit of the USA.

Google Gary Indiana :lol:

Murder capital of the world 3 years running???? :cheerlead:

I loved your larger post up there btw.....don't coddle them kids eh??? :lol:

Pony
04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Too bad there has been so many lawsuits based on stupid shit, now everywhere you see stupid stuff getting banned because "well someone could possibly get hurt and we could be sued". I've got an idea, because I could possibly get hurt at work I think my employer should just pay me to stay home. Or maybe Obama can just give all americans a fat paycheck and we will sublet all the work out to third world companies.