PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul tweets controversial message on murdered Navy SEAL sniper

RBP
02-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Former presidential candidate Ron Paul is taking heat for a tweet he sent out Monday afternoon about the Navy SEAL who was killed at a Texas gun range over the weekend.

Chris Kyle, 38, a decorated Iraq war veteran, a former SEAL and author of “American Sniper,” was shot and killed Saturday. Police arrested Eddie Ray Routh, 25, a veteran authorities say may have a mental illness related to his military service.

In response to the news, Paul tweeted: “Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that ‘he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.’ Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense.”

The tweet set off a chain reaction of criticism online.

Aaron Worthing (@AaronWorthing) responded: “What the Hell, @RonPaul? Are you actually blaming Chris Kyle for his own death?”

Michelle Lancaster (@SkiGarmisch) added, “Very disrespectful commentary to this man, his memory and his family. Shame on you.”

Razor (@hale.razor) wrote, “So all veterans, once done serving our nation with honor, deserve to be murdered as civilians? Wow.”

Calls and emails to Paul for comment were not immediately returned. He averages about two tweets a day, typically about policy issues ranging from immigration to the Federal Reserve. Paul, who is known for his anti-war views, retired as a long-time Texas congressman earlier this year.

Kyle, the most lethal sniper in the U.S., had 160 confirmed kills. He enlisted in the Navy in February 1999 and was discharged in November 2009. He had four tours in Iraq under his belt and received 14 different awards and decorations, including two Silver Stars, five Bronze Stars with Valor and two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals. After leaving the Navy, he wrote his biography, “American Sniper.”

Last year, Kyle told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he didn’t go into the service for the money or awards.

“I did it because I felt like it was something that needed to be done and it was honorable,” Kyle said. “I loved the guys.”

Routh, a former corporal in the Marines, is being held on $3 million bond. He is also accused of killing Chad Littlefield, 35, who was at the gun range with Kyle. Routh has been charged with one count of capital murder and two charges of murder. Routh served on active duty from 2006 to 2010. He fought in Iraq in 2007 and was sent to Haiti in 2010.

Hal-9000
02-04-2013, 11:33 PM
so one guy unloaded on two others at a gun range and Ron Paul is blaming the victim?

wtf am I missing please

RBP
02-04-2013, 11:43 PM
so one guy unloaded on two others at a gun range and Ron Paul is blaming the victim?

wtf am I missing please

:dunno: He hasn't explained what he meant yet.

Hal-9000
02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
maybe the 'Treating PTSD' comment was directed at the shooter, rather than the sniper guy who died? Twitter and texting in general is murky at best...

but why would a fellow vet take a shot at two other vets? You'd think there'd be a bond there

Hal-9000
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
It's a little strange. I've been reading the gun threads here lately and was thinking that it's odd we don't hear about more wingnuts killing people at firing ranges.

You get a weapon and live rounds....it's not much of a stretch for someone who's imbalanced to be set up on the perfect killing floor (no one expects or suspects the guy next to him will turn and fire)

RBP
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah I am assuming he meant that taking a veteran with PTSD (the shooter) to a gun range is a bad idea for exactly this risk... but again he hasn't clarified.

And you're right, maybe tweeting that wasn't the best way to get the message across.

Griffin
02-04-2013, 11:55 PM
There would be no provocation.
People set on killing don't do it where they would encounter resistance.

...it would be futile.

Hal-9000
02-04-2013, 11:55 PM
I read a good book called 13 Cent Killers, about these guys who set up the first sniper training units in 'Nam. I'm an anti-gun proponent in civilian life but have a lot of respect and admiration for wartime snipers.

It's lucky for the killer in this story that he killed that sniper...a guy with 160 kills wouldn't make a mistake if he had to retaliate.

Hugh_Janus
02-05-2013, 12:48 AM
have a lot of respect and admiration for wartime snipers.

fuckin campers

RBP
02-05-2013, 01:29 AM
fuckin campers

:-k

Does that mean fag?

Muddy
02-05-2013, 02:24 AM
This is porkys boy..

PorkChopSandwiches
02-05-2013, 03:08 AM
:ronpaul:

Loser
02-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Honestly, I agree with paul.

You don't take a guy with PTSD, to a gun range of all places, to try and treat him.

Post traumatic stress disorder.

It's common fucking sense.

"Oh hey, stressed out because of people shooting at you? Lets go to the Gun Range!" :facepalm:

Acid Trip
02-05-2013, 02:16 PM
fuckin campers

:lol: Yeah, run around you campin noobs!

perrhaps
02-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Ron Paul is in his seventies and no longer holds public office. Other than massageing his massive ego, why the hell is he wasting his time by tweeting anything?