PDA

View Full Version : Virginia House panel OKs ban on 'dooring' bicyclists

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
By Bill Sizemore - The Virginian-Pilot

RICHMOND

“Dooring” may not be a household word yet, but it’s on the way to becoming a traffic infraction in Virginia.

It’s what occurs when someone opens a car door into a lane with moving traffic and a bicyclist slams into it.

Sen. Chap Petersen’s legislation (SB736) would forbid opening a door into moving traffic “unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so.” A violation would carry a $100 civil penalty.

The bill, which has already cleared the state Senate, got a 4-2 thumbs-up from a House subcommittee Wednesday and now goes to the full Transportation Committee.

Dooring is “a significant injury factor” for bicyclists, Petersen, D-Fairfax County, told the panel.

Michael Gilbert of Ride Richmond, a bicycling group, said dooring is already illegal in 40 states.

Petersen’s measure may be bicyclists’ last hope for bike-friendly legislation in the 2013 General Assembly. A bill to outlaw tailgating bikes (HB1950) failed in the House last week.

deebakes
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
:sad2:

RBP
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I did that once... dudeman went flying :oops:

fucked my door up but good too :|

Acid Trip
02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Are they creating this law because people are "dooring" cyclists on purpose? I find that hard to believe considering the damage it can do to the car.

RBP
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Are they creating this law because people are "dooring" cyclists on purpose? I find that hard to believe considering the damage it can do to the car.

I didn't read it that way... accidental... I would guess it's to make people more aware.

RBP
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Although... unless it's a designated bike lane I don't see the reason for it. Do they get fines if a car hits the open door?

Muddy
02-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I think they just want motorists to be more aware.. The streets are really really narrow in Richmond because they are 100's of years old. A bicyclist doesnt have much choice but to ride 12 or so inches from a car. More than that and they are in traffic.

Hal-9000
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I didn't read it that way... accidental... I would guess it's to make people more aware.

that's something that needs to happen with all vehicles....we have people here opening their doors without so much as a glance backwards and then standing beside their vehicles chatting or getting stuff out, whatever

point is, if another car or cyclist is approaching these parked idiots don't even consider that someone could be right beside them when they throw open the door...

Loser
02-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Red, Earmuffs bud, don't listen to my rant :P

Fuck them cock sucking helmet head wearing motherfuckers, riding in packs, plugging up my 50mph lane with 2 miles of cars because they are too inept to ride in their designated lane!

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! :x
http://i48.tinypic.com/1z2dais.jpg

Ok, back to drinking :lol:

RBP
02-10-2013, 04:06 AM
:rofl:

Loser
02-10-2013, 04:08 AM
If I ever had a mental snap, it would be like dennis leary on a murder spree :lol: