PDA

View Full Version : Group in Indiana wants 'traditional high school prom' banning gay, lesbian students

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2013, 12:06 PM
By: TheIndyChannel.com staff

http://i.imgur.com/ET2bdof.jpg

SULLIVAN, Ind. - Some parents, students and clergy in an eastern Indiana city want a separate high school prom banning gay and lesbian students.

A group of supporters met Sunday at the Sullivan First Christian Church, in Sullivan County, to plan a separate "traditional prom" for Sullivan High School students that would prohibit gays from attending, WTWO reported .

"We want to make the public see that we love the homosexuals, but we don't think it's right nor should it be accepted," a student told WTWO.

"If we can get a good prom, then we can convince more people to come and follow what they believe," student Kynon Johnson told WTWO.

Among the supporters is Diana Medley, a special education teacher at nearby North Central Jr./Sr. High School in the Northeast School Corporation, who told WTWO she doesn't believe anyone is born gay.

"We don't agree with [homosexuality], and it's offensive to us," she said. "Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids. I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason."

When asked if she thinks gays have a purpose in life, Medley said, "No I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it."

"A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God," Medley told WTWO.

Area pastors are also voicing support for the separate prom movement.

"Christians have always been prepared for a fight. Jesus gave us armor for the front, not the back. We're not running anymore," Bill Phegley, with Carlisle Church, told WTWO.

A Facebook page supporting the "traditional prom" had been pulled down Monday morning, and a counter campaign had been launched called Support the Sullivan High School Prom for All Students .

National gay rights advocate Dan Savage also blasted the separate prom movement on his blog .

"There's no way to stop the haters at Sullivan High School from holding an independent prom for the special bigoted kids," he wrote. "But here's what we can do: we can make a noise so loud enough that all the queer kids at Sullivan High School hear it. Those kids need to know that there are people -- a lot of people -- who think this (expletive) is wrong."

Messages seeking comment were left Monday for Southwest School Corporation Superintendent Chris Stitzle and for Northeast School Corporation Superintendent Mark Baker.

RBP
02-12-2013, 01:23 PM
I may get flamed for saying this, but as long as it's not a school sponsored event, and the school's prom is open to all, Dan Savage can shove his opinion up his ass.

As for the special ed teacher, she is catching hell for her personal beliefs. People want her fired and much worse. Again, as long as she does her job properly and leaves her bigotry at the door, she can hold whatever opinions she wants... and people need to see that supporting her right to those opinions is just as important as the opinions of the people she is purported to hate.

Flame away....

Goofy
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I may get flamed for saying this, but as long as it's not a school sponsored event, and the school's prom is open to all, Dan Savage can shove his opinion up his ass.

As for the special ed teacher, she is catching hell for her personal beliefs. People want her fired and much worse. Again, as long as she does her job properly and leaves her bigotry at the door, she can hold whatever opinions she wants... and people need to see that supporting her right to those opinions is just as important as the opinions of the people she is purported to hate.

Flame away....

:villagers:

Acid Trip
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Flame away....

Careful now, he'd probably like that.

This is what really ticks me off about a lot of people (gays and straights). They get all bent out of shape when someone calls them names or uses hateful speech but then turn right around and use hateful speech against anyone who disagrees with them.

It's these guys all day every day :potkettle: