PDA

View Full Version : Im not a Catholic

Muddy
02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
But really, are any of you giving up anything for Lent?

Hal-9000
02-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Christian, but not Catholic here...

no sacrifices for Lent

minz
02-12-2013, 11:58 PM
No religious affiliation here but I would like to give up work for lent, but somehow I don’t think I'll get away with that. :meh:

Hugh_Janus
02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm giving up receiving blowjobs :tup:

Griffin
02-13-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm wearing less cotton and wool, and have been buying more synthetic clothing.

I'm seeing much less lint in my dryer.

Loser
02-13-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm willing to give up abstinence.

Any female here willing to join me? :naughty:

Muddy
02-13-2013, 01:18 AM
My kids have asked me to give up cussing... I am going to do it.

RBP
02-13-2013, 01:29 AM

Fuck that :hand:

deebakes
02-13-2013, 01:50 AM

that's bad news if your kids are requested it... you must be a sailor :-k

Muddy
02-13-2013, 02:14 AM
A drunken one... :ahoy:

Southern Belle
02-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Not Catholic.

Noilly Pratt
02-13-2013, 02:32 AM
I'm not a Roman Catholic, but I play one on TV! :D I married one, and agreed to raise my kidlet in da Chuuuurch.

I'm giving up work over that period beginning next month. So much vacation time I haven't taken, so not working in March at all! 2 weeks in England, then the rest of the time will be looking after my daughter over the Spring Break.

Look after Canada while I'm gone, Hal & Godfather, OK? :)

RBP
02-13-2013, 03:40 AM
I was raised Catholic...

Godfather
02-13-2013, 04:00 AM
If the Pope can give up his job for Lent, so can I. My boss can't discriminate against my religious beliefs (regardless of whether I really believe them or not)

RBP
02-13-2013, 04:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ePWqkZD.jpg

Loser
02-13-2013, 04:12 AM
I was raised Catholic...

Me too, then my curly hairs sprouted and I started to think for myself :lol:

DemonGeminiX
02-13-2013, 04:14 AM
I was raised Catholic...

Me too. I usually make it a point to give up shellfish for lent, but other Catholics usually have a fit when they find out that I'm allergic to shellfish in the first place. People have no sense of humor.

:idk:

RBP
02-13-2013, 04:19 AM
Me too. I usually make it a point to give up shellfish for lent, but other Catholics usually have a fit when they find out that I'm allergic to shellfish in the first place. People have no sense of humor.

:idk:

I used to do all that... was even an alter boy and a lector. I don't do anything for lent. Honestly it was the weird fish on Friday thing that turned me off to it. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
I was raised Catholic...

Same here...luckily it wore off in my teen years (my mom no longer forced us to go to church)

Muddy
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
This no cussing thing is tough, I already had to modify an email.. :lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 03:38 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
I used to do all that... was even an alter boy and a lector. I don't do anything for lent. Honestly it was the weird fish on Friday thing that turned me off to it. :lol:

you were an alter boy?

I sang in a church choir....until they realized I wasn't a member of the congregation, or even their faith for that matter :lol:

getting bounced from church (twice) , my proudest moments

Muddy
02-13-2013, 03:45 PM
My boss is doing the no cussing thing as well.. He already has dropped 3 F-bombs in a 5 minute conversation.. :lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
I can curb the cussing easily...except when I'm here at work :oops:

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I was raised Catholic until my 1st Communion (11 or 12 years old). After that day my parents said "You don't have to go to church anymore if you don't want to" and that's when I stopped.

I rarely go to church these days but I do donate heavily to a non-denominational church that has amazing outreach programs.

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I went to a Catholic funeral last year.....Good Gravy it was long and confusing...and also made the non Catholics feel a wee bit uncomfy. Didn't like that..

Muddy
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Shoot! I slipped.. ughh!

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
I went to a Catholic funeral last year.....Good Gravy it was long and confusing...and also made the non Catholics feel a wee bit uncomfy. Didn't like that..

Catholic weddings are the same way....they do the whole wedding, plus they do the whole Mass as well. Takes freaking forever.

Muddy
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Catholic weddings are the same way....they do the whole wedding, plus they do the whole Mass as well. Takes freaking forever.

I go to one in 6 months.. I hear I need to pack a lunch..

Leefro
02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Atheist so I am giving up religion for lent

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 05:42 PM

And hope the church has AC

Muddy
02-13-2013, 05:42 PM
I just hope they serve a dinner at the reception.. :d

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM

1 1/2 to 2 hours for the wedding ceremony + mass.

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh and at least 80% of the ceremony is about how marriage is about loving each other as much as God loves us and how your combined love is God's greatest glory.

I'm paraphrasing but it's always more about God than the two people getting married. That annoys me.

Leefro
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Solihull Police ‏@SolihullPolice

Dear criminals, please give up crime for #lent. Thank you, the police.

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 06:22 PM

I went to one as a child and almost passed out in the church...hot day, tight shirt collar and tie...not enough water

tres embarrassing for the folks and people thought I was Satan's spawn and couldn't cross the threshold of the church without fainting :lol:

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I went to one as a child and almost passed out in the church...hot day, tight shirt collar and tie...not enough water

tres embarrassing for the folks and people thought I was Satan's spawn and couldn't cross the threshold of the church without fainting :lol:

Thought or knew? :lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I almost dropped one hour into the service....relatives still talk about it to this day :lol:

they should have given me a few communion wafers and a mug of wine

Goofy
02-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Ditto, full church service funeral which lasted over an hour followed by another service at the crematorium right afterwards.......... hated it tbh, completely pointless! The sending off we gave him in the bar afterwards was far better - lots of funny stories, few tears etc - was strangely a great night :)

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Ditto, full church service funeral which lasted over an hour followed by another service at the crematorium right afterwards.......... hated it tbh, completely pointless! The sending off we gave him in the bar afterwards was far better - lots of funny stories, few tears etc - was strangely a great night :)

What I didn't like is that it was exclusive to Catholics and the priest spoke about God and purgatory for over an hour, no mention of the guest of honor :|

also, when they gave the wafers out near the end you identified yourself by certain arm gestures, further delineating/alienating the crowd.

Noilly Pratt
02-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I sang in a church choir....until they realized I wasn't a member of the congregation, or even their faith for that matter :lol:

getting bounced from church (twice) , my proudest moments

I was bounced by a Catholic young adults group. No one wanted to organize it, so I organized the events, printed the bulletins and did most of the gunt work, and when it was time to elect the president, I was nominated, but then they said "no, he's not Catholic, he can't be anything official, but he can do all the work"...that's when I stopped doing things for them and faded back as a normal member of it..and made a slow exit. It wasn't fun anymore.

Some priests you'd think work on the Quota system...the heathens are in the seats, preach at 'em -- a captive audience! :) But some are actually cool and know their audience. I dislike those that are non-inclusive.

If you go to anything Catholic and are used to other religions, expect a lot of standing up, then sitting down, then standing up again. More choreographed moves than a Jackson family number! :) And, lots of Call and Response type stuff. Much more than in my Protestant church (which I can count on 1 hand the amount I've been to !)

Funerals -- I dislike the open casket thing, and since my wife's elder relatives are in their 80's and 90's there's been a few funerals of late...all open casket. My daughter and I are freaking, holding each other's hand and of course they wheel Auntie right beside us. My wife, who's been to umpteen funerals because her side of the family is LARGE is quite blase (blas-ey?) about it.

When my mother in law died last month, my daughter started freaking out again, because of her experience with my wife's aunt's funeral...so I was glad to stay at home with her and just attend the get together afterward.

When I was asking the Father to have our wedding ceremony at the RC church, I had to show my baptism certificate -- my parents were dead, I had no idea where it was (or even if I was baptised...there've been conflicting stories over the years). The church people were flabbergasted that we didn't have proof of it...and didn't know what to do if the parents aren't around to vouch for it. My oldest bro had to say what a good person I was etc. instead. And I was in my late 30's!

And the interview with the father...ugh...he asked me what God meant to me, etc. and real pointed questions. I'm quite shy about talking about that subject at the best of times.

FBD
02-13-2013, 08:42 PM
"take what is useful, discard that which is not"

so I apply it to most all religions, so I cant really say I have one. I can see being agnostic, and nothing against ya lee, but imho atheist is simply lack of imagination :)

what do I have to give up? weed and ejaculation, but I dont know how quickly that's going to happen :lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
I was bounced by a Catholic young adults group. No one wanted to organize it, so I organized the events, printed the bulletins and did most of the gunt work, and when it was time to elect the president, I was nominated, but then they said "no, he's not Catholic, he can't be anything official, but he can do all the work"...that's when I stopped doing things for them and faded back as a normal member of it..and made a slow exit. It wasn't fun anymore.

Some priests you'd think work on the Quota system...the heathens are in the seats, preach at 'em -- a captive audience! :) But some are actually cool and know their audience. I dislike those that are non-inclusive.

If you go to anything Catholic and are used to other religions, expect a lot of standing up, then sitting down, then standing up again. More choreographed moves than a Jackson family number! :) And, lots of Call and Response type stuff. Much more than in my Protestant church (which I can count on 1 hand the amount I've been to !)

Funerals -- I dislike the open casket thing, and since my wife's elder relatives are in their 80's and 90's there's been a few funerals of late...all open casket. My daughter and I are freaking, holding each other's hand and of course they wheel Auntie right beside us. My wife, who's been to umpteen funerals because her side of the family is LARGE is quite blase (blas-ey?) about it.

When my mother in law died last month, my daughter started freaking out again, because of her experience with my wife's aunt's funeral...so I was glad to stay at home with her and just attend the get together afterward.

When I was asking the Father to have our wedding ceremony at the RC church, I had to show my baptism certificate -- my parents were dead, I had no idea where it was (or even if I was baptised...there've been conflicting stories over the years). The church people were flabbergasted that we didn't have proof of it...and didn't know what to do if the parents aren't around to vouch for it. My oldest bro had to say what a good person I was etc. instead. And I was in my late 30's!

And the interview with the father...ugh...he asked me what God meant to me, etc. and real pointed questions. I'm quite shy about talking about that subject at the best of times.

and the singing...oh my the singing

at the funeral there were no cues, only those in the know would start singing on time and know which hymn

I lip synched some Lady Gaga stuff so I wouldn't feel left out

Noilly Pratt
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
also, when they gave the wafers out near the end you identified yourself by certain arm gestures, further delineating/alienating the crowd.

Or, you could just sit in your pew. You don't have to go up there! I stand up and let them all file past and usually get nice smiles from everyone for being gallant and not making them trip over my feet.

Truth be told, the less people going up to the altar and receiving the host, the quicker everyone gets out of there. BTW they call it "receiving the host", not "getting your treat" or "munching on God". They get a little wiggy when you say such things.

Don't ask me how I know ;) I've made every mistake there is in the church...ask me anything, the Protestant in the Roman Catholic family! :D 99% of the time it's not an issue.

Noilly Pratt
02-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I lip synched some Lady Gaga stuff so I wouldn't feel left out

Wouldn't Madonna's "Like a Prayer" be more appropriate?

<checks for lightning bolts> - one hit the Vatican when the Pope resigned, so you never know! HE might be in a pissy mood! :D

Secret Insider Tip...if the altar boys and/or the priest are doing what they're supposed to, there is supposed to be a board up with a bunch of numbers on it...it's the # of the hymns they're doing, so you can open the book in front of you, go to Hymn #454 and sing away.

It looks like this

http://www.westchestercongregationalchurch.com/hymnboard.jpg

My wife didn't like it when I said it looked like something you'd see at a football game showing who did what penalty!

Anything I can do to bring you closer to God, just let me know, Hal.

:D

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eeIR2FV.jpg

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Or, you could just sit in your pew. You don't have to go up there! I stand up and let them all file past and usually get nice smiles from everyone for being gallant and not making them trip over my feet.

Truth be told, the less people going up to the altar and receiving the host, the quicker everyone gets out of there. BTW they call it "receiving the host", not "getting your treat" or "munching on God". They get a little wiggy when you say such things.

Don't ask me how I know ;) I've made every mistake there is in the church...ask me anything, the Protestant in the Roman Catholic family! :D 99% of the time it's not an issue.

Munching on God :lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Wouldn't Madonna's "Like a Prayer" be more appropriate?

<checks for lightning bolts> - one hit the Vatican when the Pope resigned, so you never know! HE might be in a pissy mood! :D

Secret Insider Tip...if the altar boys and/or the priest are doing what they're supposed to, there is supposed to be a board up with a bunch of numbers on it...it's the # of the hymns they're doing, so you can open the book in front of you, go to Hymn #454 and sing away.

It looks like this

http://www.westchestercongregationalchurch.com/hymnboard.jpg

My wife didn't like it when I said it looked like something you'd see at a football game showing who did what penalty!

Anything I can do to bring you closer to God, just let me know, Hal.

:D

Thanks Noilly....it was in a brand new church, the priest was dressed to the 9's as well as the alter boys.

They didn't have the play by play board, but they sure had everything else.

and I have the faith thing covered, I'm a little bit more aware of the processes than I let on here. Thanks Noilly.

golfer
02-20-2013, 05:34 PM
What I didn't like is that it was exclusive to Catholics and the priest spoke about God and purgatory for over an hour, no mention of the guest of honor :|

Too bad there isnt a certain gesture to keep your kids from getting molested by the priests... but hey at least in LA we have cardinal Mahoney he will keep our kids safe... D'oh thats right its the priests not the kids... I hope every Priest gives up Kids for lent at least...