PDA

View Full Version : Bill lets HOAs foreclose fast if dues unpaid

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
By Mary Shanklin, Orlando Sentinel

Homeowners behind on their community-association dues would have to make good on the full amount before fighting the charges, under proposed legislation that would also bring state oversight to Florida's homeowner associations.

Sen. Alan Hays, R-Umatilla, filed a bill this week that would essentially fast-track community associations' ability to foreclose on houses or condo units with unpaid dues. If a homeowner did not deposit the unpaid balance in a special registry as directed by a court, the association could foreclose immediately on the house. Currently, owners can contest associations' charges in a process that can stretch out for years.

One grass-roots group supports Hays' proposal as a way to shore up the finances of homeowner associations, which were hit hard by the housing slump and recession, during which large numbers of investors and other owners failed to pay their HOA dues.

In response to the drop in revenue, community associations cut back on spending and are now more likely to foreclose on properties in hopes of forcing payment. Meanwhile, a community's dues-paying owners have had to shoulder more of the association's operating costs in place of the delinquent owners.

"If you want to fight and prolong it, you have to pay up first," said Jan Bergemann, president of the nonprofit Cyber Citizens for Justice, a DeLand-based focused on associations. "… They somehow have $2,000 to pay for a defense attorney, who will only prolong the process when there really is no defense for not paying."

The pay-up-now proposal is just one provision of a bill that also would make the state Department of Business and Professional Regulation responsible for Florida's least-regulated form of government: homeowner associations. An estimated 60,000 subdivisions, neighborhoods and developments across the state are governed by such associations.

Hays said Wednesday that the bill is a starting point for discussion and subject to amendments, but he said he wants to level the playing field in the way associations are governed.

"My purpose in sponsoring the bill is to try to establish more fairness in the homeowner-association community and try to have a better balance between the residents and the developers," he said.

The bill calls for homeowners in an association to pay $4 annually to cover the costs of state regulation and oversight, including a government ombudsman for associations. The bill also calls for associations to have secret-ballot elections for board members. Homeowners now can show up for their first association meeting and find themselves elected to their board with a simple raising of hands.

The bill would also prohibit board members from serving if they have been charged with a felony related to association business. For example, in Polk County's Bimini Bay development, not far from Walt Disney World, developer David Meadows continues to serve on the association board despite his arrest in September on four felony charges related to theft, fraud and embezzlement from the organization.

"That's needed because, especially when a state attorney has evidence against a person that they are stealing from the HOA, why should they be allowed to continue serving on the HOA?" asked Bimini Bay resident Cathi Mead. "It's not right."

A group of Bimini Bay homeowners has been withholding HOA payments since Meadows' arrest.

Fort Lauderdale lawyer Donna Berger, who specializes in homeowner associations, said she is skeptical of some provisions in Hays' bill and wants to study it further. She said the Community Advocacy Network, a group for homeowner associations, is surveying its members to determine their views on it.

Among other things, she questioned forcing delinquent homeowners to immediately pay all of their back dues before allowing them to challenge whether they actually owe that money.

"Is that really consumer-friendly?" she asked. "What if there are reasons they are contesting — because they never got notified, the special assessment wasn't properly passed or the management company is off by thousands of dollars? Yes, that happens."

FBD
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
oh that's a great idea, let the HOAs charge whatever the hell they want for dues and now give them the ability to take units away from people for it???

who owns the HOAs and does the lobbying, that's what I wanna know. you're behind 2, 3 grand, now cough up your 5, 6 figure residence. wtf is that bs?

Soooooooooooooo glad I got rid of that fkn condo. monthly went from $189 when I got there in 04 to 200 in 06, 212 in 07, 08 had a special assessment of another 85 a month, '10 saw it go to 282, '12 had another special assessment because the general fund was down AGAIN, now old neighbors are telling me its going to like $360 next year. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck you assholes.

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 02:13 PM
HOAs are for suckers.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I was flexible on a lot of things when I was looking for a house, but one thing that was always gonna be a deal breakers was having an HOA. No way I was gonna spend $200K+ on something just so some Nazis could tell me what I could and couldn't do with my place.

RBP
02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't understand the need for HOA's except for condos where's there's general maintenance needs that have to be paid for and managed.

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't understand the need for HOA's except for condos where's there's general maintenance needs that have to be paid for and managed.

Most subdivisions have HOAs to pay for the subdivision sign, holiday decorations, maintaining the grass/trees/bushes that aren't on anyone's property, community pools/parks, etc.

When I bought my current house I saw HOAs from $10/month to $950/month (gated community with 24/hr security guards).

RBP
02-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Makes sense. I have never had an HOA anywhere I have lived, even when I owned property.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Makes sense. I have never had an HOA anywhere I have lived, even when I owned property.

They are big here in metro Denver, mostly in the planned communities.

Acid Trip

Never lived in suburbia have you?

FBD
Its like donating money. a percentage goes to what its intended for, the rest goes to the pockets of those managing it for you. wisely, of course ;)

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Its like donating money. a percentage goes to what its intended for, the rest goes to the pockets of those managing it for you. wisely, of course ;)

When I think of who runs the HOA I picture Doug from Weeds.

RBP
02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Never lived in suburbia have you?

Sure have... Chicago, Pittsburgh, Nashville, all suburban homes... no HOA in other places where it was in the boonies either.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 02:41 PM

And they are mostly run by tin-plated overbearing, swaggering dictators with delusions of godhood.

RBP
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
And they are mostly run by tin-plated overbearing, swaggering dictators with delusions of godhood.

What does tin-plated mean?

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Sure have... Chicago, Pittsburgh, Nashville, all suburban homes... no HOA in other places where it was in the boonies either.

I guess I should have said planned communities instead of suburbia.

FBD
02-13-2013, 03:02 PM
it means plated with teh good stuff :lol: (its just tungsten on the inside though :lol: )

RBP
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I guess I should have said planned communities instead of suburbia.

Those are for rich people :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 05:19 PM
what a crock of shit

Muddy
02-13-2013, 05:27 PM

One quick reason..

Some people buy houses for the intent of renting it out.. Renters do dumb shit like mount satellite dishes in the front yard of their house or leave Obama political signs up for a year, or never put their trashcans away.. In general they can help protect your property value from bad neighbors.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 05:29 PM
One quick reason..

Some people buy houses for the intent of renting it out.. Renters do dumb shit like mount satellite dishes in the front yard of their house or leave Obama political signs up for a year, or never put their trashcans away.. In general they can help protect your property value from bad neighbors.

Yeah, but a lot of cities already have ordinances in place that cover these kinds of things. For example, the city I live in has rules about how early you can put your garbage cans out and when they need to be brought back inside.

Muddy
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, but a lot of cities already have ordinances in place that cover these kinds of things. For example, the city I live in has rules about how early you can put your garbage cans out and when they need to be brought back inside.

There's good and bad in all HOA's.. Ours is small and run by neighborhood members.. It really only hits the big stuff, which to a person who cares about there property it's common sense. (and landscaping in common areas as AT pointed out) It's crazy how many people don't have common sense though.. A neighbor of mine wanted to store his 30 foot sailboat in his side yard, Another (asians) wanted to build a rice paddy in theirs.. You'd be surprised the stupid stuff people will do if you didn't have any restrictions.. :lol: