PDA

View Full Version : Obama Calls For $9 Minimum Wage

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
This will probably be the most controversial proposal of the State Of The Union: Obama calls for a $9 minimum wage.

We know our economy is stronger when we reward an honest day’s work with honest wages. But today, a full-time worker making the minimum wage earns $14,500 a year. Even with the tax relief we’ve put in place, a family with two kids that earns the minimum wage still lives below the poverty line. That’s wrong. That’s why, since the last time this Congress raised the minimum wage, nineteen states have chosen to bump theirs even higher.

Tonight, let’s declare that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, no one who works full-time should have to live in poverty, and raise the federal minimum wage to $9.00 an hour. This single step would raise the incomes of millions of working families. It could mean the difference between groceries or the food bank; rent or eviction; scraping by or finally getting ahead. For businesses across the country, it would mean customers with more money in their pockets. In fact, working folks shouldn’t have to wait year after year for the minimum wage to go up while CEO pay has never been higher. So here’s an idea that Governor Romney and I actually agreed on last year: let’s tie the minimum wage to the cost of living, so that it finally becomes a wage you can live on.

This seems very unlikely to happen.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
This would be awesome, that way I could pay $4 for a cheeseburger at McDonalds

FBD
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
nevermind all that data that points to higher min wage hurting poorer people as a whole, with the most impact being on young workers who are mostly unskilled and making it even harder for them to get a job.

how long do people typically stay at min wage. not for ridiculously long unless its paper or plastic all the way. what's the youth unemployment percentage again? 23ish per u6?

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Absolutely because a fry cook at McDonalds is a skilled job that should be able to support a family. Its not meant for high school and college kids to earn some walking around money :roll:

Acid Trip
02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
nevermind all that data that points to higher min wage hurting poorer people as a whole, with the most impact being on young workers who are mostly unskilled and making it even harder for them to get a job.

how long do people typically stay at min wage. not for ridiculously long unless its paper or plastic all the way. what's the youth unemployment percentage again? 23ish per u6?

Ding ding ding! What do we have for him Johnny?

Softdreamer
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
What would be nice is that all earning less than 200k got this increase, not just minimum wage.

I've said for ages that bailing out the working class recycles more money back into the economy than bailing out banks/corps.
After years of inflation its about time the balance headed the other way.

Please feel free to copy and paste the usual capitalist propaganda in response, I haven't read it this month :lol:

FBD
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Who among us has advocated bailing out banks and or corporations? That is a(n intellectual) failure and a departure from capitalism when that happens, so I dont want to hear anything about capitalist propaganda - you cant point to a deviation from capitalism and claim that's a failure of capitalism. (not if you want to be intellectually honest, anyway.)

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Im pretty certain everyone here or at the jam was opposed to any of the bailouts.

RBP
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
The Illinois Gov proposed $10. :|

Softdreamer
02-13-2013, 06:33 PM
I never claimed that anyone here supported such bailouts, merely that government chose to do it, and they are choosing to try and raise wages..

Will the firing squad please stand down.. #whiteflag

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.pinoyphotobase.com/images/smilies/white%20flag.gif

Muddy
02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
I think it's a good idea.. Slap me, that's fine.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/FBN7BCi.jpg

RBP
02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
I think it's a good idea.. Slap me, that's fine.

Why stop there? If they would just make it $40,000 with full benefits, then nobody would need social programs at all.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Break it down like this, you clean the fucking toilets, you fail at life, deal with it

Muddy
02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Why stop there? If they would just make it $40,000 with full benefits, then nobody would need social programs at all.

There's a reason the food and people are nicer at Arbys.. They pay them a decent wage, and they care about their jobs. Money is a great motivator.

RBP
02-13-2013, 06:50 PM
There's a reason the food and people are nicer at Arbys.. They pay them a decent wage, and they care about their jobs. Money is a great motivator.

I don't have an issue with a company deciding to compete for labor - free enterprise baby.

What's your point?

Pony
02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Should we start the betting on how long it will take for the unemployee numbers to double?

Arbys is also more expensive. :nana:

Muddy
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
What's your point?

That I don't mind the minimum wage being raised.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
aint nobody got time fo dat

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Money is a great motivator.

Then they should go out and get a job that pays more than minimum wage.

RBP
02-13-2013, 06:57 PM
That I don't mind the minimum wage being raised.

Just do it in Virginia. No need to fuck the whole country.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
exactly, this isnt the 50s. There are other jobs, these jobs in question should be left for kids, not people trying to raise an illegal family of 32

Jezter
02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Minimun Wage is a bad idea with a good thought behind it... Collective bargaining FTW!

RBP
02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Minimun Wage is a bad idea with a good thought behind it... Collective bargaining FTW!

:-s

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM

It had its place, just like the Unions once did, the time has passed

Jezter
02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
:-s
Wat?

It had its place, just like the Unions once did, the time has passed
Wat?

FBD
02-13-2013, 07:13 PM

As is pretty much every single other government program out there.

What people fail to consider is...

...if your business has a say 2 or 3% profit margin, what do you think adding 2 bucks/hr to min wage does to that profit margin?

oh, right, and add in all of the extra shit from obamacare?

that 2% profit margin is now underwater. What fkn business owner in his right mind would operate like this? Those are the ones you see closing up shop already - just over obamacare, and nevermind the min wage increase! "What, do you want me to run my business at a loss until all of my savings are gone, THEN close up shop? I'll get carted off to jail for printing money, unlike SOME entities around here."

Law of reality. Law of unintended consequences.

Jezter
02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
As is pretty much every single other government program out there.

What people fail to consider is...

...if your business has a say 2 or 3% profit margin, what do you think adding 2 bucks/hr to min wage does to that profit margin?

oh, right, and add in all of the extra shit from obamacare?

that 2% profit margin is now underwater. What fkn business owner in his right mind would operate like this? Those are the ones you see closing up shop already - just over obamacare, and nevermind the min wage increase! "What, do you want me to run my business at a loss until all of my savings are gone, THEN close up shop? I'll get carted off to jail for printing money, unlike SOME entities around here."

Law of reality. Law of unintended consequences.

So are you with me or against me? I don't understand what all that has to do with my quote...

FBD
02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
So are you with me or against me? I don't understand what all that has to do with my quote...

With you, I'm assuming I read an invisible sarc tag on the collective bargaining :lol: the first sentence set up the tangent, which happened to be also related to the topic :D

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2013, 07:28 PM

you can just about guarantee anything called a government program, FBD will be against ;)

Jezter
02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
With you, I'm assuming I read an invisible sarc tag on the collective bargaining :lol: the first sentence set up the tangent, which happened to be also related to the topic :D
Okies. I don't brain today.

you can just about guarantee anything called a government program, FBD will be against ;)
Fo shizzle mah porky nizzle!

FBD
02-13-2013, 07:37 PM

I'm not a total anarchist :lol: I can accept that some level of government is good, but it is by nature wasteful, inefficient, and highly prone to corruption - beetles dont grow to be the size of rhinos for a good reason, natural laws prevent it from happening. when government is allowed to circumvent natural laws (like economics, say...such a thing will of course vary over its range of implementations but there's a general optimum range for things, obscured though it may be,) we're faced with a ladybug the size of a great wooly mammoth, and with its appetite too. but we only came with food for beetles.