PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Pistorius: Olympian and Paralympian faces murder charge (update)

redred
02-14-2013, 08:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/z9MUTW9.jpg

South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been arrested over the fatal shooting of his girlfriend at his home in Pretoria, local media say.

Police said a 26-year-old man, who they have not named, was in custody and a case of murder was being investigated.

The precise circumstances surrounding the incident are unclear. Reports say he may have mistaken her for a burglar.

Pistorius, 26, is known as the "blade runner", and was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.

The incident is said to have taken place between 04:00 and 05:00 local time (02:00-03:00 GMT).

A police statement said that a 30-year-old woman was "fatally wounded" in the early hours of Thursday morning at a home in the Silverlakes complex in the Boschkop area of the capital.

The woman had been wounded in her head and upper body. Paramedics were at the house when police arrived, but she died at the scene. A 9mm pistol was recovered.

South Africa has among the highest rates of crime in the world and many residents keep weapons to protect themselves against intruders.

But the country also has a careful vetting process before awarding gun licenses, Erika Gibson of Beeld newspaper told the BBC.

Pistorius races wearing carbon fibre prosthetic blades after he was born without a fibula in both legs.

He reached the 400m semi-finals in the London 2012 Olympics. At the Paralympics he won silver in the T44 200m, gold in the 4x100 relay and gold in the T44 400m, setting a Paralympic record.

For years he dominated in his category at successive Paralympic Games.

The news that he may have killed his girlfriend will shock the country as Pistorius is regarded as one of South Africa's national icons, reports the BBC's Peter Biles from Capetown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21455453

Softdreamer
02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I doubt he will find a lawyer willing to represent him at the trial..

He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

redred
02-14-2013, 10:25 AM
:rimshot:

Leefro
02-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Arrested For Murder

Leefro
02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
I doubt he will find a lawyer willing to represent him at the trial..

He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

his legal costs are going to cost him an arm.

redred
02-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Oscar Pistorius: Olympian and Paralympian faces murder charge

South African douple-amputee athlete Oscar Pistorius is facing a murder charge after his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot and killed at his home in Pretoria.

Police were called to the house in the early hours of the morning, where they found paramedics treating a 29-year-old woman with gunshot wounds to the head and upper body. She died at the scene.

Officers have recovered a 9mm pistol.

A 26-year-old man will appear in court on Friday.

Early reports said Mr Pistorius might have mistaken his girlfriend for an intruder at his home in the upmarket Silver Woods gated compound on the outskirts of South Africa's administrative capital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21459240

Softdreamer
02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Police are now denying the 'mistaken identity' claim.

Reports are coming out of him having a temper, and a disturbance at the property before hand.

redred
02-14-2013, 09:28 PM
haven't liked this guy since he accused the guy from brazil of cheating in the paralympic's ,after all the stuff he's gone through proving his blades weren't gaining any advantage i thought it was a cheap shot and made him look a sore loser

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Police are now denying the 'mistaken identity' claim.

Reports are coming out of him having a temper, and a disturbance at the property before hand.

I'm not surprised. I'd hate to generalize, but I've seen a lot of disabled people going around with a big chip on their shoulders, acting like they're owed the world because they're disabled, and act like the worst spoiled little two year olds when they didn't get their way.