PDA

View Full Version : Real Madrid beat Barca to win Copa del Rey

Jezter
04-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Barcelona 0-1 Real Madrid

Cristiano Ronaldo's extra-time header gave Jose Mourinho his first trophy as Real Madrid coach as his side beat Barcelona 1-0 to win the Copa del Rey.

A foul-ridden encounter was decided in the first period of extra-time when Ronaldo powered in his 42nd of the season from Angel di Maria's cross.

Real had Iker Casillas to thank after the keeper denied Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta with brilliant saves.

Di Maria received a second yellow deep into extra-time but Real held on.
Continue reading the main story

It's always better to win than to lose but life is like that - you can't always win
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola

"I am thrilled to win the Copa del Rey - it is something special," said Real coach Jose Mourinho. "It's a fantastic triumph against a great team like Barcelona - and we deserved it."

The Portuguese, who took over at the club in the summer, added: "I came here to do a job and change the mentality of the club. We have started to do that and it's satisfying - but it's just the start."

Ronaldo, the matchwinner, insisted he had always believed the first goal would prove crucial.

"We knew that whoever scored first would win it - and so it proved," he said. "Mourinho has given us a winning spirit and this is a really important trophy for us - it was an objective we had for this season and we have achieved it."

Both Barca's best chances occured late in normal time with the cavaliers from Catalonia prevented from playing their normal game by the dogged and relentless chasing of Real.

Los Blancos gave dangermen Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and David Villa little breathing space for much of the match at Valencia's Mestalla stadium.

As soon as one of the quartet received the ball a Real duo would attempt to dispossess the ball either legally or illegally. The tactics made Barca look laboured.

At no point in the first half did the potent Messi look like scoring his 50th this season, but it was a different tale at the other end for the other goal-machine on the pitch - Ronaldo.

The Portugal midfielder, who scored his 41th this season with a penalty against the Catalan side last Saturday, had three chances to make it 42 in the opening half.
The Real Madrid squad returned to the Spanish capital to celebrate

The first was a shot from a tight angle which defender Javier Mascherano was forced to clear off the line before the £80m-man failed by fractions to get a connection on Mesut Ozil's dinked ball from six yards out.

He came closest to scoring with his third chance of the half when Real's master of ceremonies, Ozil, sent his team-mate clear on the right who then forced a good low one-handed save from 35-year-old Jose Manuel Pinto.

But shortly before the break, it was Ronaldo's compatriot Pepe, again playing in the centre, who came closest to ending the drought when his header from a Ozil delivery hit the inside of the post and flew to safety.

The league leaders improved after the break and they finally pierced the Real defence and found the back of the net with 20 minutes of normal time remaining. Unfortuntely for Guardiola's team, Pedro's finish, following great work from Messi, was ruled offside.

Moments later, Messi was involved in two chances in the space of five minutes.

The Argentine made Casillas work for the first time in the match with a low shot from the edge of the area that the Spaniard dived low to save.

He then fed in Andres Iniesta whose scuffed shot was again brilliantly tipped away by the Real keeper.

The final 15 minutes of normal time witnessed more clearcut chances then the other 75, with Real twice going close to pinching it. Ronaldo was denied by a brilliant Dani Alves tackle before Di Maria's deflected strike was pushed over by Pinto.

But they did make the breakthrough just before the extra-time interval when the excellent Di Maria delivered a stunning ball from the right which Ronaldo headed back the way it came and over the reach Pinto.

Real substitute Emmanuel Adebayor forced another great save from Pinto before Di Maria was sent off for a second bookable offence with just seconds remaining of the match.

Victory was Real's first over Barca since May 2008 and it meant that coach Mourinho has won a trophy every year since 2003.

The teams next meet in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final on Wednesday 27 April.

"We can take them on over two games; we have just done that," added Mourinho. "There is no reason we can't beat them in the Champions League because we have just drawn once against them and then beaten them."

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola said: "It's always better to win than to lose but life is like that - you can't always win.

"We will pick ourselves up - of course we will. We are more sad than if we had won, but that's part of the game. These players have been playing together for a long time and we'll bounce back."

[JezEDIT: Hala Madrid! <3]

deebakes
04-21-2011, 10:10 PM
:wtf:

Hugh_Janus
04-22-2011, 12:29 AM
:wtf:

its gaytard sport.... don't worry about it 8-)

Muddy
04-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Ahh this may be tied to this... The dumb asses dropped the trophy and a bus ran it over.. :lol:

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?4771-Yeah!!!!!-We-won-a-trophy!!!-hahaha

Hugh_Janus
04-22-2011, 12:37 AM
what a mong :lol:

pepo
04-22-2011, 01:15 AM
http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/_imatges/capcalera/nova/_capcalera.jpg

deebakes
04-22-2011, 01:24 AM
unicef? really? :wtf:

Muddy
04-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Does that mean unicef sponsors the team?

deebakes
04-22-2011, 01:45 AM
that's why they have the little kids ask for change from people?!?!?

Muddy
04-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Yeah that seems a bit much I think...

deebakes
04-22-2011, 01:48 AM
just another case of child labor, just this time it is happening stateside :lol:

Muddy
04-22-2011, 01:54 AM
We need to shut down unicef...

deebakes
04-22-2011, 01:55 AM
nah, i'll just pocket the money that my kids come home with in their little cardboard boxes from now on :thumbsup:

Muddy
04-22-2011, 01:57 AM
nah, i'll just pocket the money that my kids come home with in their little cardboard boxes from now on :thumbsup:

Why not, you take all their Halloween candy...

deebakes
04-22-2011, 02:00 AM
don't want them to get childhood obesity or diabetes :lol:

Muddy
04-22-2011, 02:01 AM
I dont let my kids eat candy hardly at all... Im afraid of the diabetes as well..

deebakes
04-22-2011, 02:03 AM
plus you're a crotchety old man :lol:

Muddy
04-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Get off my lawwwwwn.. :x

deebakes
04-22-2011, 02:05 AM
how the fuck am i supposed to mow it then?

Muddy
04-22-2011, 02:06 AM
I have a kid mowing my lawn at the river for $10.... Love it.

deebakes
04-22-2011, 02:07 AM
:dance: :cheerlead:

Jezter
04-22-2011, 06:33 AM
its gaytard sport.... don't worry about it 8-)
:x Shut up!

what a mong :lol:
Yes he is. Motherfucker.

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/_imatges/capcalera/nova/_capcalera.jpg
Boooo Booooo!! :slap:

I have a kid mowing my lawn at the river for $10.... Love it.

AyWhat up, Pirate!?

Hugh_Janus
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I'm pretty sure they don't pay :lol: In fact, I think the team give a fair chunk of money to unicef

Goofy
04-22-2011, 04:15 PM

I'm pretty sure they don't pay :lol: In fact, I think the team give a fair chunk of money to unicef

Some info...

Since its founding, Barcelona has never worn corporate advertisements on their shirt. On 14 July 2006, the club announced a five year agreement with UNICEF, which includes having the UNICEF logo on their shirts. The agreement has the club donate €1.5 million per year to UNICEF (0.7 percent of its ordinary income, equal to the UN International Aid Target, cf. ODA) via the FC Barcelona Foundation.[96] The FC Barcelona Foundation is an entity set up in 1994 on the suggestion of then-chairman of the Economical-Statutory Committee, Jaime Gil-Aluja. The idea was to set up a foundation that could attract financial sponsorships to support a non-profit sport company.[97] In 2004, a company could become one of 25 "Honorary members" by contributing between £40,000–60,000 (£45,800–68,700)[98] per year. There are also 48 associate memberships available for an annual fee of £14,000 (£16,000)[98] and an unlimited number of "patronages" for the cost of £4,000 per year (£4,600).[98] It is unclear whether the honorary members have any formal say in club policy, but according to the author Anthony King, it is "unlikely that Honorary Membership would not involve at least some informal influence over the club".

As of next year its all changing at Barca though, they've finally decided to actually use sponsorships as a source of income........ i suppose they have to really in order to keep signing the best players and stay at the top :) Their new deal is apparently worth 150m Euros over five years

deebakes
04-22-2011, 11:40 PM
that's sweeter than i thought it was going to be :lol: