PDA

View Full Version : GM finishes 2012 with $4.9 billion profit

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Fred Meier and James R. Healey, USA TODAY

http://i.imgur.com/tXmCiGG.jpg

General Motors says it had net earnings of $892 million in the fourth quarter, up 89% from $472 million a year ago, bringing its full-year net income to $4.9 billion, or $2.92 per share, down 36% from $7.6 billion a year ago.

The big automaker reported $152.3 billion in revenue for 2012, up 1%. Fourth quarter revenue was $39.3 billion, up 3% from a year ago.

Earnings per share in the fourth quarter of 48 cents excluding special items was below Bloomberg's consensus estimate of 51 cents. GM shares were up 45 cents, or 1.57%, at $29.12 in early trading.

"Some of the operating metrics in North America seemed light to us," said analyst Peter Nesvold at Jeffries in a note to clients before the market opened. He was referring to GM's lack of big profit margins, its inability to get top dollar for its vehicles and its drop in market share to 17.9% share, according to Autodata, down from 19.6% in 2011, as Japanese automakers recovered strongly from the 2011 tsunami. .

But, he said, "Much of this will likely be self-correcting given GM's substantial product pipeline over the next 12-18 months."

Brian Johnson, analyst at Barclays, said in a note to clients that this year will be a challenge: "We maintain our view that '14 is the sweet spot for GM, as we expect GM to benefit from multiple product improvements ... while also demonstrating improvement in its path to breakeven in Europe." He cited, in particular, 2014 being the first full year of production for the new-design full-size Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups that begin rolling out in March.

The trucks are, CEO Dan Akerson told Wall Street analysts in a conference call this morning, "our most important news."

Other important product launches include a new Chevrolet Impala sedan and Corvette sports car. Cadillac has just launched the smaller ATS sedan and will show a new generation of its volume CTS sedan.

"With over a dozen new and refreshed models for 2013, particularly the highly profitable full-size trucks, GM's outlook remains to be positive for continued growth in North America, China, India and Brazil, despite the stubborn European market challenges," commented veteran industry analyst Jesse Toprak of TrueCar.com.

The earnings reported for the year were cut by a complicated bundle of special charges of $531 million, or 32 cents per share. Nesvold called it "a noisy quarter." Earnings in 2011 were boosted $1.2 billion, or 70 cents per share by special items.

By region in the fourth quarter, GM said it $1.4 billion in North America in the fourth quarter and $7 billion for the year, compared with $1.5 billion and $7.2 billion a year ago. The 2012 performance will bring profit-sharing checks of up $6,750 for GM's about 49,000 eligible hourly employees.

That offset losses in ailing Europe of $699 million in the quarter, up from $562 million a year ago. The total 2012 loss there was $1.8 billion. more than double the $747 million a year ago.

GM reaffirmed its forecast of breaking even in Europe by mid-decade.

GM is last of the major car companies to report the quarter. The Detroit makers all were profitable overall, but Europe continues to bleed money for Ford Motor as well as GM. Chrysler Group escapes because it has no significant operation in Europe, but bankruptcy rescuer and majority owner Fiat now is depending on Chrysler to help offset its European losses.

In earlier earnings reports from GM's Detroit rivals, Ford said it made $1.6 billion in the fourth quarter and $5.67 billion for the year and Chrysler said it made $378 million in the fourth quarter and $1.67 billion for the year.

To overhaul money-losing Europe, GM said Jan. 31 it will put a new man in charge of Opel -- GM's European auto unit.Karl-Thomas Neumann, a turnaround expert, becomes chairman of the management board of Adam Opel on March 1. He also becomes president of GM Europe and a GM vice president.

Opel (sold in the U.K. as Vauxhall) "is a key to General Motors' global success," CEO Akerson said at Neumann's appointment. "This move will ensure that we have the best possible leadership in place as we continue driving toward profitability and growth in Europe."

Earnings from GM's International Operations unit, which includes China, were $473 million in the quarter and $2.2 billion for the year, up from $373 million and $1.9 billion a year ago. And South America turned into the black, with earnings of $99 million for the quarter and $271 million for the year vs. losses of $225 million for the quarter and $122 million for the year in 2011.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Nice to see that GM was allowed a profit this year while the American tax payer took a loss on bailing them out :|

Muddy
02-14-2013, 04:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/s4Uw0Aw.jpg

Loser
02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Would never buy GM, or any of the american auto makers for that matter.

Quality is just shit.

Toyota or Honda. That is all.

FBD
02-14-2013, 05:06 PM
As much as I'd like to buy american for cars, if I got something new, no fkn way would my money go to the UAW. (My sexplorer rocks though, it is a beast in the snow.)

Muddy
02-14-2013, 05:11 PM

Quality is just shit.

I'm falling out of love with Toyota..

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Quality is just shit.

I'd buy Ford if I was buying American. I had two Rangers and they were great vehicles, never had anything major go wrong with them.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
I had an explorer, I hated it it the entire time. Big GIANT POS that was always breaking down

Muddy
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I had an explorer, I hated it it the entire time. Big GIANT POS that was always breaking down

My neighbor has one with almost 300k on it..

RBP
02-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Nice to see that GM was allowed a profit this year while the American tax payer took a loss on bailing them out :|

I just scanned the article but didn't see it... are we totally out now? How much did we lose on the deal?

PorkChopSandwiches
02-14-2013, 05:46 PM
My neighbor has one with almost 300k on it..

I probably could have put 300k on it too if I wanted to continue repairing the trany and differential

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2013, 05:46 PM
I just scanned the article but didn't see it... are we totally out now? How much did we lose on the deal?

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?45100-U-S-will-sell-its-remaining-GM-stock-at-big-loss

RBP
02-14-2013, 05:54 PM
http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?45100-U-S-will-sell-its-remaining-GM-stock-at-big-loss

Thanks. :)

So based on that, Treasury lost about $5.2 billion on the December stock sale of 200 million shares and still own 19% (300 million shares) of GM.

GM is at $27.88 today and Treasury needs $53 to break even. So the taxpayer figures to lose another $7.5 billion, or $12.7 billion in total.

Sound about right? :-k

Why do we still own 19% anyway?

Acid Trip
02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Why do we still own 19% anyway?

The government was hoping the stock would be higher so the losses wouldn't be so great. Hard to accomplish when the economy is stalling out.

For proof look at the numbers. GM revenue is up 3% but it's net earnings are down 36%. That's a bad sign.

Muddy
02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
USG, the one dummy who wont sell their stock.. :lol:

KevinD
02-15-2013, 02:31 PM

Quality is just shit.

I totally disagree with this. Perhaps in the 70's and 80's your point would have been valid. IMHO, all automakers (at least the ones sold in US) are fairly even where quality is concerned.

RBP
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
The government was hoping the stock would be higher so the losses wouldn't be so great. Hard to accomplish when the economy is stalling out.

For proof look at the numbers. GM revenue is up 3% but it's net earnings are down 36%. That's a bad sign.

Obama said they're back and touted record sales in the SOTU address. You must be mistaken. :lol:

Acid Trip
02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Obama said they're back and touted record sales in the SOTU address. You must be mistaken. :lol:

Record sales but a steep decline in profits. They either had a huge charge off or they are hiding something.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Then where's our investment back? :x

RBP
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Record sales but a steep decline in profits. They either had a huge charge off or they are hiding something.

FBD says they aren't actually sales... just bigger and bigger dealer inventories?

FBD
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
look up "channel stuffing"

Muddy
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
My boss just bought that white avalanche.. Man that thing is nice!

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM
My boss just bought that white avalanche.. Man that thing is nice!

I think those are hideous looking :thumbsdown:

Muddy
02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
I think it definitely looks better than the Honda truck he used to drive..

http://i.imgur.com/ULqgsSo.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't like the Honda trucks either :lol:

RBP
02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
look up "channel stuffing"

http://i.imgur.com/a7DUYVM.jpg

So you think there's a false GM recovery supported by an inventory bubble that will eventually burst?

Muddy
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM

So you think there's a false GM recovery supported by an inventory bubble that will eventually burst?

Thats what the graph shows.. Double the inventory!

FBD
02-15-2013, 03:37 PM

They're basically forcing dealerships to take the cars and find a way to get the paid for...or sold, whichever they can muster. "If you want to stay a GM dealership, STFU and take these cars" is basically what GM has been doing. That's why there's still a preposterous amount of subprime loans going on - for cars as well as houses.

Acid Trip
02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
FBD says they aren't actually sales... just bigger and bigger dealer inventories?

Very possible. I don't follow/invest in companies that make my stomach turn.

Shady
02-16-2013, 06:39 AM
GM makes crap.