PDA

View Full Version : Hardly risking life for country now gets its own medal

FBD
02-14-2013, 05:12 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278377/Hardly-risking-life-country-New-medal-drone-operators-dubbed-Geek-Cross-set-higher-honor-Bronze-Star.html

Drone operators to be awarded new Distinguished Warfare Medal that will rank higher than Bronze Star (but they won't have to leave their computer screen to win it)

By David Mccormack and Ap Reporter

PUBLISHED: 20:02 EST, 13 February 2013 | UPDATED: 09:39 EST, 14 February 2013

Comments (8)

The newly announced Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to troops who have a direct impact on combat operations but do it from afar

The newly announced Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to troops who have a direct impact on combat operations but do it from afar

Military personnel who operate drone strikes and fight war from behind computer consoles are to have their battlefield contributions honored after the Pentagon announced the first new combat-related medal to be created in decades.

The new blue, red and white-ribboned Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to individuals for ‘extraordinary achievement’ related to military operations that occurred after Sept. 11, 2001.

Unlike other combat medals, it does not require the recipient risk his or her life to get it and they may never set foot in the combat zone.

The medal has been created to award troops who launch the drone strikes and direct the cyberattacks that can kill or disable an enemy, said Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who announced the new medal on Wednesday.

‘I've seen firsthand how modern tools, like remotely piloted platforms and cyber systems, have changed the way wars are fought,’ Panetta said.

‘And they've given our men and women the ability to engage the enemy and change the course of battle, even from afar.’

The work they do ‘does contribute to the success of combat operations, particularly when they remove the enemy from the field of battle, even if those actions are physically removed from the fight,’ he said.

Officials said the new medal will be the first combat-related award to be created since the Bronze Star in 1944.

A recognition of the evolving 21st century warfare, the medal will be considered a bit higher in ranking than the Bronze Star, but lower than the Silver Star, defense officials said.

The Bronze Star is the fourth highest combat decoration and rewards meritorious service in battle, while the Silver Star is the third highest combat award given for bravery.

Several other awards, including the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, are also ranked higher, but are not awarded for combat.

The announcement has received a mixed response. While some acknowledged the contributions of cyber and drone warriors, others have dubbed the medal the ‘Geek Cross’ and speculated that young video-gamers may soon get Purple Hearts for their animated wounds.

Over the last decade of war, remotely piloted Predators and Reapers have become a critical weapon to gather intelligence and conduct airstrikes against terrorists or insurgents around the world.

oh fkit, I cant post the rest of this drivel

Muddy
02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Drone operators! Really? :lol:

RBP
02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
What's the big deal?

DemonGeminiX
02-14-2013, 06:04 PM
All those hours sitting on your ass playing video games finally pays off in the eyes of the Executive Branch.

RBP
02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
All those hours sitting on your ass playing video games finally pays off in the eyes of the Executive Branch.

I really don't see what the big deal is to recognize technical contributions with a separate non-combat award.

RBP
02-14-2013, 06:13 PM

I really don't see what the big deal is to recognize technical contributions with a separate non-combat award.

FBD
02-14-2013, 06:36 PM
I see it as silly, but if you must do it...higher than bronze star rank....seriously???

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2013, 06:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AmoOgaE.jpg

RBP
02-14-2013, 06:57 PM

You make fun but everyone who goes into a combat zone does get a patch.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
You make fun but everyone who goes into a combat zone does get a patch.

I would hardly call remotely piloting a drone from 10,000 miles away, "combat"

RBP
02-14-2013, 07:03 PM
I would hardly call remotely piloting a drone from 10,000 miles away, "combat"

I didn't :-s

KevinD
02-15-2013, 02:26 PM
What's the big deal?

In as much as I am against a MEDAL for this (perhaps a campaign ribbon would be okay) I am discombobulated at the sheer idiocy that places this so call medal above the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

As a vet, I find it ludicrous that someone could get this award and it is higher ranked than one could get for being wounded (Purple Heart) or bravery/heroism (Bronze Star)

RBP
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
WASHINGTON – America’s largest combat veterans group is worried the creation of a new medal for drone strikes and cyber-warfare could bestow higher honor on those using a joystick to kill terrorists than soldiers wounded on the battlefield.

The Distinguished Warfare Medal, announced Wednesday, would rank higher than the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, which is given to servicemembers killed or wounded in battle. The new medal would rank immediately below the Distinguished Flying Cross.

But to some, like the Veterans of Foreign Wars, creating a non-combat medal is turning into a major Pentagon misfire.

“It’s a boneheaded decision,” VFW spokesman Joe Davis told FoxNews.com. “This is going to affect morale and it’s sending troops in the field a horrible message.”

By Thursday afternoon, more than 800 responses had been posted on the VFW’s Facebook page. Many said the medal’s high ranking on the military medal hierarchy would hurt an already-bruised U.S. military morale.

One dubbed the medal the “Geek Cross” and suggested that the country was close to handing video-gamers Purple Hearts for animated wounds.

The Pentagon defended its decision and noted several medals rank above the newly created award.

"Those furthest from the fight/risk are not eligible for a higher award than those engaging the enemy and risking their lives each day,” Defense spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Nate Christensen said. “There are several existing medals that may be awarded to members who incur risk associated with valorous acts (Medal of Honor, Service Crosses, Silver Stars).”

On Wednesday, outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced the creation of the medal to recognize “extraordinary achievements that directly impact on combat operations, but do not involve acts of valor or physical risks that combat entails.”

Panetta said the medal recognizes the reality that drones and cyber warfare “have changed the way wars are fought.” Under the Obama administration, drone strikes have become an integral part of America's counterterrorism strategy.

John Hamilton, the VFW’s commander-in-chief, said in a statement that his organization “fully concurs that those far from the fight are having an immediate impact on the battlefield in real-time,” but added that “medals that can only be earned in direct combat must mean more than medals awarded in the rear.”

The organization says that at a time when the Defense Department is being hit with budget cuts and entire military towns are bracing for the effects of the upcoming sequester, announcing a new medal that honors members who aren’t fighting on the front lines sends a bad message.

“It’s like, ‘Why am I slogging through the mud, dirt and sand when someone who can go home every night to their family gets recognized?’ Davis said. “The people in the Pentagon should ask themselves how this is going to play out. The government didn’t do this to the troops. The Pentagon did it to themselves.”

KevinD
02-15-2013, 02:36 PM
John Hamilton, the VFW’s commander-in-chief, said in a statement that his organization “fully concurs that those far from the fight are having an immediate impact on the battlefield in real-time,” but added that “medals that can only be earned in direct combat must mean more than medals awarded in the rear.”

QFT!!!!

"Those furthest from the fight/risk are not eligible for a higher award than those engaging the enemy and risking their lives each day,” Defense spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Nate Christensen said. “There are several existing medals that may be awarded to members who incur risk associated with valorous acts (Medal of Honor, Service Crosses, Silver Stars).”

Complete BS. See the requirements for each medal here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_milita ry#Order_of_precedence

Acid Trip
02-15-2013, 02:49 PM
My dad has 3 Bronze Stars and 2 Silver Stars (Vietnam). My brother has 2 Bronze Stars (Iraq).

It's f'ing stupid that a person behind a desk 10,000 miles away gets an award higher than the bronze star.

Muddy
02-15-2013, 02:59 PM

This award here is adequate.. Some pie is better than none..

Muddy
02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
My dad has 3 Bronze Stars and 2 Silver Stars (Vietnam). My brother has 2 Bronze Stars (Iraq).

It's f'ing stupid that a person behind a desk 10,000 miles away gets an award higher than the bronze star.

To be fair here.. (Not that I don't agree with you statement about the awarding) They aren't 10,000 miles away.. They are relatively close proximity in a modified shipping container operating the drone through a mobile station..

http://i.imgur.com/OKtPylF.jpg

FBD
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
relative increase in danger, .2%