PDA

View Full Version : Obama Tears Up At Citizens Medal Ceremony Featuring Sandy Hook Educators

RBP
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
President Barack Obama teared up during a White House ceremony honoring the teachers from Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday.

Obama posthumously awarded the 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal to the six educators who died during the school shooting that also claimed the lives of 20 children.

Those honored included Rachel Davino, Dawn Hochsprung, Anne Marie Murphy, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach and Victoria Soto.

===========================================

This is the award information:

In order for an individual to be considered for the Medal:

Nominees must be citizens of the United States, as required by the 1969 Executive Order.

The nominee’s service must have been performed outside of their regular job.

Criteria for Nomination

The 2013 Citizens Medal will recognize “citizens of the United States of America who have performed exemplary deeds of service for their country or their fellow citizens.” Executive Order 11494 (Nov. 13, 1969). It is generally recognized as the second highest civilian award of our Government.

The 2013 Citizens Medal will recognize U.S. citizens who have performed exemplary deeds of service outside of their regular jobs, including individuals:

Who have a demonstrated commitment to service in their own community or in communities farther from home. Someone who has engaged in activities that have had an impact in their local community, on a community or communities elsewhere in the United States or on fellow citizens living or stationed around the world.

Who have helped their country or their fellow citizens through one or more extraordinary acts. Individuals who have demonstrated notable skill and grace, selflessly placed themselves in harm’s way, taken unusual risks or steps to protect others, made extraordinary efforts to further a national goal, or otherwise conducted themselves admirably when faced with unusually challenging circumstances.

Whose service relates to a long-term or persistent problem. Individuals who have made efforts to combat stubbornly persistent problems that impact entire communities, for example those who have taken innovative steps to address hunger, homelessness, the dropout crisis, lack of access to health care, and other issues that plague too many Americans.

Whose service has had a sustained impact on others’ lives and provided inspiration for others to serve. The ideal nominee for a Citizens Medal is a person whose work has had a meaningful and lasting impact on the lives of others.

================================================== ======

Maybe I am being a dick, but I don't see how getting shot at work qualifies for this. Smells like more exploitation of the situation by the POTUS and I don't like it.

Hal-9000
02-16-2013, 12:04 AM
I was trying to word the same sentiment...yes they were teachers but being targets for a crazed gunman should not earn a medal

with all due respect...maybe stopping said gunman or protecting some children from same would warrant the medal

did any of the teachers do that or similar?

RBP
02-16-2013, 12:07 AM
I was trying to word the same sentiment...yes they were teachers but being targets for a crazed gunman should not earn a medal

with all due respect...maybe stopping said gunman or protecting some children from same would warrant the medal

did any of the teachers do that or similar?

I did hear that some the ones that got killed were trying to shield the kids, but still.

Hal-9000
02-16-2013, 12:14 AM
now I'm leaning on the medal side...

I read an article about fear, fight or flight syndrome during situations like random gunmen arriving on the scene at a restaurant or school (they used college campus)

Can't recall the exact stats but it broke down like this:

Gunman enters area, starts firing. 60-70% of bystanders don't know what's happening during the incident. 25-30% understand, evaluate, but fear makes them leave the area. Less than 5% understand, evaluate and then take some sort of action by either protecting others or trying to stop the shooter.

They had times and biological body data...but it came down to less than 5% will take concrete, beneficial action within the first 15 minutes of an incident

Griffin
02-16-2013, 01:17 AM
tear!
2 completely different pronunciations and meanings of that simple word.

...You just never know with this guy.

perrhaps
02-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Did President Obama publically shed a tear about Major Nidal Malik Hasan murdering thirteen victims at Fort Hood; U.S. Border Agent Brian Terry being shot to death by a "Fast and Furious" assault weapon, or when discussing how our Ambassador to Libya was murdered?

Just curious.

Southern Belle
02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Don't make me puke.