PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver bar culls ‘Albino Rhino’ brand after human rights complaint

Teh One Who Knocks
02-18-2013, 12:24 PM
By Emily Jackson - Metro Vancouver

http://i.imgur.com/ZEC34s8.jpg

Earls’ “Albino Rhino” is officially extinct.

Earls Restaurants will take beer or chicken wings sold under the 25-year-old brand off the menu after a Vancouver woman with albinism filed a BC Human Rights Tribunal complaint against the chain in 2012.

Ikponwosa (I.K.) Ero, representing a group with the genetic condition that causes a lack of pigmentation in skin, hair and eyes and often blindness, accused the popular restaurant of discrimination based on physical disability and colour.

While Earls doesn’t agree with the complaint – the beer was named after the white rhinoceros and it didn’t occur to the restaurant that it would be associated with albinism or offend anyone – it will cull its house brand by April 24.

The human rights complaint process taught the restaurant that people were “genuinely offended” by its marketing, as the rare condition results in “prejudice and exclusion in many areas of Canadian society,” according to a restaurant news release.

“Earls wishes all members of the public to feel welcome at our restaurants and, accordingly, we no longer feel it is appropriate to use the word ‘albino’ as part of our marketing.”

The complaint sparked online debate about political correctness gone amok, but “the only people who say that are people who don’t have albinism or a friend or a spouse or a child with albinism,” said Peter Ash, CEO of Under The Same Sun, an advocacy group for those with the disability.

“It would be like saying, let’s put in some Alzheimer appetizers, Down syndrome daiquiris or cerebral palsy cocktails,” he said. “That would offend anyone’s sensibilities.”

Since just 1 in 20,000 people have the medical condition, people often don’t understand the disability and the “evil” stigma, popularized in Hollywood films, that goes with it, he said.

His group is “very happy” with Earls’ decision. “This is all we wanted from the beginning.”

Pony
02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
:banghead:Lowering the bar.

perrhaps
02-18-2013, 03:59 PM
I sense the devious mechanisms of Johny and Edgar Winters here.

RBP
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Ridiculous. Grow up, Canada.

deebakes
02-19-2013, 01:59 AM
:sad2:

Godfather
02-20-2013, 04:02 AM
Ridiculous. Grow up, Canada.

:potkettle: Not sure this is vindictive of an entire country, but I do agree with you... You know what the fucked up part is? This woman isn't Canadian anyways! She came to our country and used our tribunal system against a brand that is 30 years old (and delicious).

I'm pretty furious about this entire thing, as are most people. How the fuck is Albino Rhino offensive to a human being? It's not calling someone a name... it's naming something after an actual animal. The lady who got the ball rolling here must be a fatty too.

RBP
02-20-2013, 04:10 AM
:potkettle: Not sure this is vindictive of an entire country, but I do agree with your sentiment... You know what the fucked up part is? This woman isn't Canadian anyways! She came to our country and used our tribunal system against a brand that is 30 years old (and delicious).

I'm pretty furious about this entire thing, as are most people. How the fuck is Albino Rhino offensive to a human being? It's not calling someone a name... it's naming something after an actual animal. The lady who got the ball rolling here must be a fatty too.

I kid Canada...

Godfather
02-20-2013, 04:12 AM
:lol: All good, Canadians are self conscious

deebakes
02-20-2013, 04:25 AM
don't worry canada, i'll still make sweet love to you :hug:

Acid Trip
02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
“It would be like saying, let’s put in some Alzheimer appetizers, Down syndrome daiquiris or cerebral palsy cocktails,” he said. “That would offend anyone’s sensibilities.”

They do not offend me and I've had 3 family members die with advanced Alzheimers. There goes his argument.