PDA

View Full Version : Prince Philip cracks Filipino nurse joke

redred
02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lUYjMN1.jpg

The Duke of Edinburgh told a Filipino nurse her country must be "half empty", because so many of her compatriots have come to the UK to work for the NHS.

He made the remark during a visit to Luton and Dunstable Hospital where he unveiled a £5.5m cardiac centre.

"The Philippines must be half empty - you're all here running the NHS," the prince told the nurse, who laughed.

A spokesperson for the hospital said the visit of the duke had been "hugely motivational".

The 91-year-old royal, who called himself "the world's most experienced curtain puller", was said to be in a "jovial" mood during the visit and asked when the hospital would get a helipad to save him a journey by car.

'Cosmopolitan town'
The hospital spokesperson would not comment on the duke's conversation with the nurse but said the hospital had not held a recent recruiting campaign in the Philippines, which had a population of 94.8 million in 2011.

"Luton is a very cosmopolitan town and the working staff at Luton and Dunstable Hospital reflects that," the spokesperson said.

The Nursing and Midwifery Council said there were about 670,000 nurses in the UK, but it could not say how many came from the Philippines.

The Duke of Edinburgh is well known for his outspoken and sometimes controversial comments.

During a state visit to China in 1986, he told a group of British students: "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed".

In 1994 he asked an islander in the Cayman Islands: "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?"

Four years later, speaking to a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea, the duke said: "You managed not to get eaten, then?"

Responding to Tuesday's visit to Luton, Buckingham Palace said it would not comment on a private conversation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-21519917

redred
02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
:lol: he cracks me up with what he says

heres more of his gaffes

1. "Ghastly." Prince Philip's opinion of Beijing, during a 1986 tour of China.

2. "Ghastly." Prince Philip's opinion of Stoke-on-Trent, as offered to the city's Labour MP Joan Walley at Buckingham Palace in 1997.

3. "Deaf? If you're near there, no wonder you are deaf." Said to a group of deaf children standing near a Caribbean steel drum band in 2000.

4. "If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes." To 21-year-old British student Simon Kerby during a visit to China in 1986.

5. "You managed not to get eaten then?" To a British student who had trekked in Papua New Guinea, during an official visit in 1998.

6. "You can't have been here that long – you haven't got a pot belly." To a British tourist during a tour of Budapest in Hungary. 1993.

7. "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" Asked of a Scottish driving instructor in 1995.

8. "Damn fool question!" To BBC journalist Caroline Wyatt at a banquet at the Elysée Palace after she asked Queen Elizabeth if she was enjoying her stay in Paris in 2006.

9. "It looks as though it was put in by an Indian." The Prince's verdict of a fuse box during a tour of a Scottish factory in August 1999. He later clarified his comment: "I meant to say cowboys. "I just got my cowboys and Indians mixed up."

10. "People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still drying out Windsor Castle." To survivors of the Lockerbie bombings in 1993.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ninety-gaffes-in-ninety-years-2290148.html