PDA

View Full Version : 'Inappropriate' T-shirt gets student into trouble

Teh One Who Knocks
02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
By Tracy Jacim, Anchor - MyFoxOrlando

http://i.imgur.com/He6Bweo.jpg

COCOA BEACH, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) -

An eighth-grader from Cocoa was told by school staff to change shirts, after she was told the one she was wearing was "inappropriate."

Summer Schreiner, 15, showed us the shirt in question. Across the front, in big letters, it reads, "Don't drink and park... accidents cause kids."

Schreiner described how she was forced to remove the shirt midway Friday at Clearlake Middle School. "I get through lunch, and I'm on my way back, and the assistant principal tells me I need to go to the office and change my shirt."

Schreiner just got this shirt the night before at a Christian conference called The Silver Ring Thing. It's a gathering held in cities around the country, where teenagers pledge to remain abstinent until marriage. It's called The Silver Ring Thing, because once they make the pledge, they receive a silver ring.

"I was pretty upset. I thought it was silly. Not like I was wearing a curse word or something that was promoting violence," she told us. "It's the shirt I got at a conference that is something that is very important to me."

Schreiner's mother, Angela Hogan, said, "They actually had her take off the shirt and put on a t-shirt the school issues for inappropriate dress. And the shirt they had her put on says, 'Tomorrow I will dress for success.'" That is what upsets her more. "It was really humiliating for her, because she came dressed for success!"

But not according to school administrators. Director of Communications for the School District said, "This is not a situation of whether or not the district agrees or disagrees with sexual abstinence among teenagers. It's about the fact there is sexual innuendo on the shirt, and so we believe it violated our dress code policy."

The school's official dress code policy does prohibit what they call "clothing which contains sexually explicit, or oriented wording," and "clothing that infringes on the rights of others."

But Schreiner and her mother don't see it that way.

"If they teach you about sex in the text books and stuff, and that's in a text book, why can't I wear something that is related to it on a t-shirt?" Schreiner asked.

Her mother talked with school administrators who are standing by their decision and their policy.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
:lol: