PDA

View Full Version : Expectant parents killed in car crash on way to hospital, baby survives

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
From Erinn Cawthon and Susan Candiotti, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/rBSO8Lh.jpg

New York (CNN) -- A midnight car crash in New York killed two expectant parents who were heading to the hospital Sunday. But their baby was rescued from her dead mother's womb by Cesarean section and is in critical condition, police say.

Nathan and Raizy Glauber, both 21, were riding in a livery cab in Brooklyn. Another car, a BMW, crashed into the cab at an intersection, slamming into its side, at about 12:10 a.m. Sunday.

The two occupants of the BMW fled the scene on foot and are being sought by police.

The driver of the cab, a Toyota Corolla, was taken to the hospital, and later released.

"The only thing I can remember is when somebody was on the side of me, on the passenger side, telling me, 'Don't worry. Don't worry. The ambulance is on the way,'" driver Pedro Nuņez Delacruz told CNN affiliate WABC. "I feel very lucky, you know, that I'm still alive."

The Glaubers were soon pronounced dead at two different hospitals, said Sgt. Tom Antonetti, a police spokesman. Police initially identified the name as Gluber, but revised that later in the day.

Bellevue Hospital performed a C-section to rescue the baby.

At the time of the crash, the couple were on the way to Long Island College Hospital "for a wellness check," said Officer Sophia Tassy-Mason, a spokeswoman for the New York City Police Department.

"It was sudden," said Sarah Gluck, Raizy Glauber's cousin. "She just wasn't feeling well and they just, they went to check it out."

The couple had been married for less than a year, said Barry Sekete, a cousin of one of the victims.

"It's terrible," he told CNN affiliate New York 1. "They're ... not even married a year, and you know they're going into the happiest times, to have a baby, and that's what happens. Terrible."

Delacruz said he didn't find out what happened to the Glaubers until he got into the ambulance.

"I feel very sorry for that beautiful family," he said.

The crash brought heartache to the Hasidic community.

The young Orthodox Jewish couple were "preparing for the most joyous moment in life, to become parents, ready to build a castle to the future and build a family," said Isaac Abraham, a community leader and neighbor of the couple.

The community is working to make sure the baby boy gets all the medical attention he needs, Abraham said.

The child will be taken care of by family, friends, and the community, he said.

"The message to the driver: We know law enforcement is going to get to you," Abraham to CNN affliate WABC. "But our message is give yourself up before we find you."

Investigators were talking with the car's registered owner on Sunday, Tassy-Mason said. Tassy-Mason said she did not know whether the vehicle had been stolen or what the relationship was between the car's owner and its occupants.

FBD
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
ok, which one of their parents pissed off the wrong person...

RBP
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Horrible story.

MrsM
03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
:sad:

Shady
03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Terrible story but this is the way that superheroes are born in fiction

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
By ANTHONY CASTELLANO - ABC News

The premature baby who initially survived after its parents were struck by a car and killed while they were on their way to a New York hospital has died, a family neighbor said.

Isaac Abraham, a community leader in Brooklyn and a neighbor of the dead couple, confirmed the death of the baby this morning. The baby died from injuries overnight at New York's Bellevue Hospital. The baby, who was about 3 pounds, sustained brain and other internal injuries, Abraham said.

Nachman and Raizy Glauber, both 21, were killed early Sunday morning in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, a tight-knit neighborhood made up of primarily Orthodox Jews. Emergency workers at the scene of the accident managed to rush Raizy Glauber to a nearby hospital where doctors performed a cesarean section to deliver the baby, according to ABC News station WABC.

Police are searching for the driver of the BMW and a female passenger, who fled on foot after the accident. Police say they believe they know the identity of the driver, but have not been able to locate the person. Detectives are showing his photo to possible witnesses, WABC reported.

Police have charged a woman who had co-signed the vehicle's lease with insurance fraud.

The woman has been charged with allowing a third party to use the vehicle without notifying the insurance company.

Glauber, who was six months pregnant with the couple's first child, was not feeling well Saturday night. Her husband called a car service and they were en route to the hospital when the accident occurred after midnight Sunday morning.

The engine of the livery car ended up in the backseat, where the pregnant woman was sitting before she was ejected, Isaac Abraham told WABC. Abraham is a neighbor of Raizy Glauber's parents who lives two blocks from where the crash happened.

Glauber's body was found under a tractor trailer. Nachman Glauber was pinned in the car, and emergency workers had to cut off the roof to get him out, witnesses told The Associated Press. Both were pronounced dead at the hospital.

The driver of the livery cab, Pedro Nunez Delacruz, was also taken to the hospital and was released after being treated for minor injuries.

"I feel very sorry for that beautiful family," Delacruz told WABC.

Jewish law calls for burial of the dead as soon as possible, and hours after their deaths, the Glaubers were mourned by at least 1,000 people, many with anger toward the two people in the BMW.

"Give yourself up. Make the pain a little easier, and at least we'll know you're not a coward," Abraham said.

A succession of men and women delivered eulogies in Yiddish, sobbing as they spoke into a microphone about the young couple.

"I will never forget you, my daughter," said Yitzchok Silberstein, Raizy Glauber's father, according to WABC.

The Glaubers were married about a year ago, according to friends and family.

"Just two amazing people, two lovely people," Nachman Glauber's cousin Sarah Gluck told WABC. "We lost two lovely people."

Acid Trip
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Damn, from bad to worse.